1,776 results
All reviewsprivilege roomhigh streetcity centrethe hotel car parkpre cruisestayed for one nightcomfy bedfull englishcruise terminaldolphinswetherspoonsportannexdocksship
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed in June and had two rooms near each other over looking the car park. It was the hottest weekend of the year and the hotel was very hot as no air-conditioning but I understand this would be difficult to install in such an old building.
Rooms were quite small but again old building so quite acceptable. Clean and comfortable without being incredible.
Location is great - just a short walk to city centre, cruise ships and harbour. Plenty of free parking.
Breakfast was great although - it was included in our deal but don't think I would pay the price if not (Wetherspoon nearby is much cheaper if not quite so good.
Staff were friendly. Small reception area but not busy when we checked in.
Room at back was quiet - I gues the rooms at the front could be noisy at weekends but the hotel is in the city centre so don't expect anything else.

We had a very good deal and our imoression of the hotel and Southampton itself was maybe enhanced by the fantastic weather we had - didn't actually feel like we were in England.

Visit Oxford Street for a good selection of restaurants.

Would stay here again if visiting Southampton if price was right.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us.
Since your stay we have ensured there is a fan available in every room to help when we have good weather.
Thanks again and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed November 8, 2010

We had a ground floor room and so there was a little more general surrounding noise than there might have been. The room itself was fine, comfortable, ok size. Facilities were up to standard but the shower was like a firehose! It actually jumped out of the holder the first time I turned it on and I then had to do a snake charmer impersonation to catch it ;D We were only staying one night so put up with having to run the bath taps to control it. We flagged it up to reception on check out and they appeared suitably apologetic and interested in getting it looked at. The car park is cheap (3 quid overnight) but can be a tad hard to find - might just be me being navigationally challenged!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay, I was pleased to read you enjoyed your stay.

My apologies for the problem with the shower this has been addressed.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2010

The room is extremely small & very hot. A fan was provided which was helpful but not something you want on all night. Also we were on the ground floor and I only noticed the next day that the window wasn't locked. Anyone could have opened it from outside. Double bed didn't seem very big,

When I booked the hotel it said free car parking and check out at 12. When we arrived there was a charge and check out at 11. I was deciding between 2 hotels in Southampton and if I had know this I wouldn't have picked Mercure. When I tried explaining this to receptionist she treated me like I was making it up. But from checking older reviews on trip advisor when we got back - I was correct.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I was sorry to read you encountered some issues for which I apologise. In regards to the 'change in hotel information' our check out time has always been 11am since we opened so I am am concerned you had read or been informed it was midday. In regards to car parking we did run some 'opening offers' when we first re-opened in May that included car parking and we still offer 'park and cruise' packages that again includes car parking, However for all other guests car parking has been charged at £3 for twenty four hours which is in line with local hotels. I will of course review all the websites and ensure my team are clear on these details to ensure this infomation is correct and I apologise for any inconvenience this caused.
I hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2010

I ended up at the Dolphin Hotel in the early hours of Sunday morning having already tried Premier Inn and The Holiday Inn and I am so pleased I did. The night porter (can´t remember his name) was brilliant and he even got me a TV remote control as there wasn´t one in the room. I was in Room 405 which was a lovely room overlooking the main road but not noisy. After breakfast I checked out as I had to stay in Southampton for 2 more nights and needed to find a cheaper hotel. However after discovering that the other hotels were a similar price I decided to check back in!! Unfortunately I was put into room 102 which looked out over an alley with a big extractor fan.The room itself and bathroom were of a much lower standard than 405 and the telephone didn´t work so I was unable to talk to my husband back in Spain. The room was also very noisy although this wasn´t helped by a group of French arriving in the early hours.
After breakfast (I love the breakfast and Michael was very helpful) I asked if I could change rooms and was put in 139. This was a smaller double but perfect for me with a modern bathroom and aspect over the courtyard. My only gripe is that the telephone didn´t work in this room either and even though the room was very hot when I first went it I was able to turn the radiator right down. My brother & his wife also booked a room for one night and they were pleased with it.
We met Neil, the owner, on our last morning and he was very friendly and told us about the history of the building and all the restoration they have done. As it is a Grade II listed building they have had to follow strict guidelines and I think they have done a great job.
There are a few ways in which this hotel can improve but on the whole I really enjoyed my stay there and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.
I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team.
I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 29, 2010

I booked this hotel at the last minute for a business trip. The hotel is in the city centre and looks pleasant from the outside.
the check in process was very poor, with a very small check in desk and one person manning the desk. There was a small queue and it took 10 minutes wait before I was seen.
The room was modern but extremely small. Only just large enough to fit a bed in it. This caused a problem with the smoke detector as the alarm went off as soon as the bathroom door was opened after a shower in the morning.
I ordered room service for a bite to eat. Within 5 minutes there was a knock on the door and I was asked to go downstairs and pay for the meal. When I asked for the meal to be added to the bill for settlement the following morning like a normal hotel I was told that that wasn't possible.
All in all a poor experience. I certainly wouldn't stay at this hotel again and would avoid the Mercure chain.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I am sorry there were several elements of your stay that was not up to our usual high standards for which I sincereley apologise. Please be assured these will be addressed with my team.
I hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future and experience this first hand
Kind regards