I've stayed here several times before and always enjoyed the food and the bar. The staff are always great. This time I was upgraded to one of the new rooms in the new block down the Lane by the car park. The rooms there are described as 'suites' but they're not! They are new and named after various cruise liners but they are very small indeed. The beds are hard. The stairs up to the rooms and the door ways plus the cobblestone path to the rooms are an absolute nightmare with luggage. The bathroom was new and fresh but so dimly lit (even with the trendy mirror lights on) that I couldn't see to shave.
Most irritating is the lack of wifi. There was no signal in my room! Reception told me that it's because it's a listed building! (It's not and newly built!)
There is a wide choice of hotels in Southampton and despite the lovely staff and the restaurant I would struggle to recommend this one if the rooms on offer were in the new block.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel is a stunning Grade II listed 4 star hotel located in the heart of Southampton - offering a modern and contemporary feel, while maintaining its traditional appeal. Perfectly located to explore the historic old town and walls, extensive shopping centre within walking distance and the perfect place to stay before and after your cruise with park and cruise packages available.Free Wifi available throughout the hotel.Privilege rooms now available. On site car parking available however there is a charge for this service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, ACCOR, Priceline, Agoda, Hotel.de, HRS, Reservation Counter and Despegar.com so you can book your Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel Southampton
- Southampton Dolphin Hotel