“Over night stay”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed December 7, 2013

As we stayed here this time last year and didn't have to bad a time we decided to stay again this year. Unfortunately what a difference a year can make. Don't get me wrong, the location is great, there is parking and all but the head of breakfast, who didn't even speak to us, the staff are very helpful and friendly. We did stay in the basic room. However, all that said it did not warrant its price tag, you get better value at a Premium Inn. The room was very old and tatty although clean. I did have to request my bed spread be changed as it was dirty and there was a loose tile on the bathroom floor that needed to be re grouted. Both things done whilst I was out, good customer service there. Other issues that can to light where the toilet seat would not stay up for gentleman users and the main entry door lock kept sticking on. The bed was comfortable and we did sleep ok. On arriving for breakfast there was no one to greet us and nothing to say please wait to be seated, so we sat down. Whilst getting something to eat the head of breakfast did stare at us but said nothing. There was a nice variety of choices for breakfast and it was very nice.

On checking out I was asked if we had enjoyed our stay. I advised of the issues we had and gave our opinion on the state of the room. The trainee staff member apologized however the staff member who took the payment just thanked me for letting them know.

I would have thought with all the issues we had had there might have been a small gesture of goodwill, ie remove car parking fee, nope nothing.

Would we recommend or stay again at this hotel, sadly not.

Room Tip: I'm not sure I can advise of a good room as I was advised our room was very good.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you for your feedback following your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Firstly I would like to apologise that you experienced some issues that were not up to our high standards.I was pleased to read that things were quickly addressed when you brought them to our attention. As with all customer feedback your comments will be addressed with the relevant members of your time to help us constantly evaluate the service and product we offer our guests.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

I write this whilst having breakfast, as I'm so disappointed with this faded and withering hotel.
Probably a great place during the Victorian era, it very badly needs updating (i.e.. total refurbishment) if it has any pretence of keeping up with the Malmaisons or Hotel du Vins. It's 4 star rating is ludicrous.
The chipped interior, woefully small lift and ancient revolving door have all been covered before and remind you to having stepped back in time 15 years. The bed was good though once I had switched the heating on in the room (small by modern standards) which was off (umm...it's December!) I was comfortable enough.
The 2 real annoyances though were the mice scratching around loudly in the cavity wall/ceiling that almost had me phoning reception for a room change at 11 o'clock, and then the noisy pigeons outside my window that woke me early (never heard of the anti-pigeon spikes?).
Everything else, including the breakfast I'm now eating, is OK but average.
Bluntly, whilst it's not a train wreck, I would never choose to stay here again. I stay a lot in hotels, and for the money, you couldn't do worse elsewhere. Sorry, the truth hurts.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Clearly I am very disapointed you did not enjoy your stay with us, for which I sincerely apologise.

I do feel that the content of your review is unfair in parts and left me wondering if you had the right hotel. The truth is the hotel is one of the oldest buidings in the city and has listed status and we are proud to operate it. When we redeveloped the hotel we ensured we kept the orginal features in the building, for example the rotating doors and the pianted ceilings that have been in place for hundreds of years and give the hotel characer as well as preserving part of history.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Advertised as a four star with recent extensive renovations but don't be fooled…this hotel does NOT deserve its elevated status.
Private car parking is a definite positive costing £4 for 24 hours but there is a complex one way system round the back of the hotel to negotiate first.
Initial impressions were positive and the check in was friendly and efficient and we were issued with our free Wi-Fi codes, one code for each device and make sure you keep it handy,we were logged off on several occasions.
A very shaky lift carried us to the third floor followed by a small flight of stairs to the 4th where our room was at the end of a corridor located at the front of the hotel.
A very good sized room but it certainly wasn't 4* standard and was exceptionally basic, I dont think the refurbishments included the standard rooms.There was no fridge but there was a safe and ironing facilities and hairdryer which was worse than the one I use at home! As for the tea making facilities well,what can I say?? All they offer is a few teabags,sachets of coffee and vile milk sachets that would be more at home in a roadside tea bar,there wasn't even any hot chocolate but upgrade to the premier room and they PROUDLY boast that you get your own n'espresso machine. Obviously the standard customers don't matter as much!!
The bathroom on first glance looked promising but then we noticed the radiator hanging off the wall, and the shower head either needs a really good clean or replacing. The room itself needed some TLC including the paintwork and the pelmet over the window was visibly thick with dust! The bed although large was far too soft and would benefit from a new mattress, not good for someone with a back problem.What really frustrated us which we mentioned on checkout (with no response) was that we were not told about the very noisy bar opposite the hotel alongside a "gentleman's club". The noise kept us awake until well into the early hours although the second night was slightly better.
Breakfast was a very positive experience even though they couldn't cater for a gluten intolerant customer and made no effort to accommodate this, a good selection of hot and cold food served buffet style.
On a plus point the hotel is superbly situated for shopping and sight seeing,with just a short 10 minuted stroll into the central shopping area with an abundance of shops, cafes and restaurants. Its also worth a visit to the dock area and follow the "walls walk" for some very interesting history.
This hotel let's itself down by advertising as something it's definitely not!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front if you require undisturbed sleep
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Disapointed to read there were some negative aspects to your stay for which I apologise and would like to assure you these points will be investigated.

I was however pleased to read there were also positive aspects as well.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Reviewed November 26, 2013

Bedroom and bathroom were in a terrible state!! Needed updating, chipped walls, dirty bathroom and overall appearance of the bedroom was not up to to the standard that you expect for a 4* hotel. Having decided to venture out for dinner in the evening, I was shocked and suprised to find myself locked out of the hotel with both front of the hotel and back entrance to the car park both locked up before midnight!! Yes I understand that the security of your guests Is paramount but please inform guests of the protocol at check in of accessing the hotel outside of working hours. Having frozen to death and trying many a times to call reception to open the front gate after 20mins I finally got hold of someone! Not acceptable!! Was very disappointed!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I am sorry to read there were elements of your stay that were not us to our high standards for which I sincerely apologise.

In regards to the security of the building whilst I am sorry you had to wait, there is signage displayed explaining our procedures and a door bell and mobile number to call if the gates are locked.

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night on a short visit for a graduation.
The hotel is within reasonable walking distance of the coach and train stations (a taxi would cost only about £5), and very close to the main shopping centre. Our room was clean and comfortable with a huge bed and large bathroom. The room was well appointed with coffee/tea, kettle, iron and a small safe etc. We asked for more milk and were offered fresh instead of uht cartons which was a nice touch.
We had dinner in the restaurant; we enjoyed our meals and found the staff, both at reception and in the restaurant, friendly and helpful. We asked for a later checkout which was agreed without any problem.
If we find ourselves back in Southampton we'd have no hesitation returning to this hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank amh2709
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and meal in the restaurant and will ensure your kind words shared with the team.

Really pleased to read you would not hesiate in returning so we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I don't know how you consider this to be a 4* hotel and if so, which organisation gave the hotel a 4* rating?. The rooms were really tatty, old fashioned and cramped - the bathroom was like going back to the dark ages, stains around the bath handles, rust I assume? The corridors to the rooms were like a prison enviroment, all grey walls, doors and skirting boards!

I guess your customers that write positive reviews are not regular users of decent hotels? Even all the dishes in the breakfast buffet were virtually cold - this was at 8,30 am???

The only positive thing I can say about the hotel is that the staff were polite and friendly but a 4* rating is an absolute joke!!!

I think the hotel should be subject to the trade descriptions act?

Appalling!

Room Tip: Book another hotel!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

I am in receipt of your review, which I have to say is very out of line with the rating from previous postings. As you can see from our previous reviews we are proud of the high levels of positive feedback we get making the content of your review even more of a suprise!

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, we do have a duty manager available twenty four hours a day who could have made your stay more comfortable if you had made us aware of your concerns.