As we stayed here this time last year and didn't have to bad a time we decided to stay again this year. Unfortunately what a difference a year can make. Don't get me wrong, the location is great, there is parking and all but the head of breakfast, who didn't even speak to us, the staff are very helpful and friendly. We did stay in the basic room. However, all that said it did not warrant its price tag, you get better value at a Premium Inn. The room was very old and tatty although clean. I did have to request my bed spread be changed as it was dirty and there was a loose tile on the bathroom floor that needed to be re grouted. Both things done whilst I was out, good customer service there. Other issues that can to light where the toilet seat would not stay up for gentleman users and the main entry door lock kept sticking on. The bed was comfortable and we did sleep ok. On arriving for breakfast there was no one to greet us and nothing to say please wait to be seated, so we sat down. Whilst getting something to eat the head of breakfast did stare at us but said nothing. There was a nice variety of choices for breakfast and it was very nice.
On checking out I was asked if we had enjoyed our stay. I advised of the issues we had and gave our opinion on the state of the room. The trainee staff member apologized however the staff member who took the payment just thanked me for letting them know.
I would have thought with all the issues we had had there might have been a small gesture of goodwill, ie remove car parking fee, nope nothing.
Would we recommend or stay again at this hotel, sadly not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel is a stunning Grade II listed 4 star hotel located in the heart of Southampton - offering a modern and contemporary feel, while maintaining its traditional appeal. Perfectly located to explore the historic old town and walls, extensive shopping centre within walking distance and the perfect place to stay before and after your cruise with park and cruise packages available.Free Wifi available throughout the hotel.Privilege rooms now available. On site car parking available however there is a charge for this service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel Southampton
- Southampton Dolphin Hotel