“Good Value”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #23 of 26 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights whilst visiting Goodwood I was put in one of the rooms on Dolphin Lane it was comfortable & had all the usual facilities I had a look a the ceiling is was not exactly level but I believe it is the old stables & about 500 years old so I do not think they are going to fall down soon. The room was a bit noisy during the day but at night no problem at all. It was warm in the room but not excessive. I only had breakfasts at the hotel buffet style seemed to be plenty of choice & good quality. Parking at the hotel is £4 for 24Hrs.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MartynBamber
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Really pleased to read you enjoyed your stay, indeed the room you stayed in was one of the stables with orginal features, but I can assure you it is safe!

We hope to welcome you back perhaps before your next visit to Goodwood?

Neil Brailsford

Write a ReviewReviews (1,642)

Reviewed July 14, 2013

This isnt the hotels fault as its been there a long time but opposite is a table top dancing bar and night club next to that so if you are staying there on the weekend don't expect sleep before 3am, the noise was very loud, it didnt help being so hot so our windows were wide open and all the clubbers were outside on the patio area opposite, night club doors open with loud music on.
The staff were very friendly and went out of there way to help, bringing us a fan for the room etc, it was like a sauna! Not often its 30 degrees here so bear that in mind as im sure a stay in the winter with windows shut etc it wouldnt be so bad noise wise.
Shower wasnt great, had water spurting out of various holes so floor was soaked.
I would only stay here again if I was on a night out with the lads.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel and no on the high street. My friemds were in a room there a...
1  Thank BartyBerkshire

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I appreciate your feedback and was pleased to read the staff responded and went out of their way to help.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We have just arrived home from a very enjoyable stay at this hotel, Staff very helpful and nothing seemed to much trouble to them. Breakfast was excellent, our room was on the first floor room 16 it was very specious i thought it was going to be noisey as it is next to the staff entrance but no they must employ very quiet staff. i would certainly use this hotel again if we were to stay in this area

1  Thank kimbrit2711
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay with us. I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will ensure your kinds words are shared with the team and they ensure they continue to be quiet when starting and finishing work!

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel very soon.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Stayed the night before a17 days cruise,Dinner (excellent) bed and breakfast and parking for the car for 14 days (extra £16 for the extra 3 days)....Total cost £180,00 secure car park at hotel less than parking at ship side.Taxi arranged to and from ship,all so easy. Room was good,all mod cons and pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear are quieter
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel for your pre cruise stay.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Nice looking hotel from the outside giving the appearance of an old coach house. The room we had was clean and roomy with most mod cons. But in common with the majority of other hotels nowadays the Hotel only has thin cheap towels.The room was equipped with a small fan next to the bed but did not have air conditioning which whilst not vital would have made it just that bit better especially as it was one of the warmest weekends of the year. The hotel is located on the High Street in an area of bars and clubs but at no time did we feel uncomfortable or bothered by their clientele and we certainly could not hear them from our room even though we stayed at weekend in the height of summer. The stay and the staff were pleasant enough and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us

We appreciate your feedback and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed on business, mid week, generally ok. Room extremely warm and was offered an extra fan and advised to leave my window open on a ground floor room.

Just after 11pm I reported a very strong smell of Cannabis from an opposing room for which the night porter immediately attended. I assume it was dealt with as the following morning the smell was not present.

My issue is not that I hold the hotel responsible for the event but I have since called the hotel and requested a call from the Manager to discuss these issues. To date I have received no feed back, call or apology.

Would have expected a call at the very least.

Room Tip: First time I have stayed at this hotel and would stay again.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and time on the telephone to discuss your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Once again I would like to assure you such incidents are not common place at the hotel and the way in which your concerns have been dealt with, will be addressed with my team.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very well located with an easy walk to the shopping centre & IoW ferries. Good value. We paid £59 plus £4 for parking & only booked two days before. Clean well equipped, compact but adequate sized room, nothing view, friendly staff.
Bit of a labyrinth, is a conversion of several buildings so many fire doors & changes of level.
We went out for breakfast, there are several cafes nearby. Full English breakfast booked the night before costs £10 a significant reduction on the full price of £15.

1  Thank Stuggyduggy
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and will ensure your kind words are shared with my team.

We hope to welocme you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Kind regards