“Nick”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed June 25, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank nicholas_mays
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

There are newer reviews for Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night pre cruise, we were allocated a room across the Courtyard, which was clean and comfortable.

The bar is pleasant, but it took the waitress 3 attempts to get my order of an orange juice and lemonade correct, first it was an Archers and lemonade, then an Archers and orange juice before being what I ordered.

I was woken early (before 8 am) by loud conversation outside our window on the ground floor, I assumed this to be inconsiderate guests. However, after 15 minutes it continued down the corridor and into the service/maintenance area next to our room. A quick call to the reception desk and the issue was resolved. These are my reasons for marking service down on this occasion.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for for taking the time to review your stay we really appreciate you feedback which will be taken on board and addressed.

We hope to welcome you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel before your next cruise departure.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

After walking through what could only be compared to a maze of corridors I managed to find my room tucked away in a very dark corner. Without looking too closely the very small room looked adequate however the array of stains on the carpet, scuffs on the walls, the missing handle from the bath and quite a bit of dust was a disappointment. There was no soap dish in the bathroom and a wooden shelf which had seen better days with chipped paint, a simple soap dish would have prevented this. This lack of attention to detail is what makes me question the 4 star status.... The squeaky floor boards didn't bother me as I understand that the building is old however the tatty decor was not that of a 4 star quality. A cigarette burn on the bed spread/runner thingy, not good enough I am afraid. Privacy was an issue also as our room was overlooked by another. A voile would have sorted this problem. In terms of quality of sleep myself and my partner both slept well and the bed was very comfy. Coming back to the corridors, the drab colour resembled a prison and was actually quite creepy! A light is needed outside room 118! A re decoration would be good as the building is quirky and interesting and deserves a bit of love! Sorry!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to review your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I appreciate your detailed feedback and can assure you the parts we are able to change quickly will be addressed immediately.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here twice in the last couple of weeks and its been great! The rooms are fresh and clean, beds comfortable and everything works! The welcome card from Neil, the GM, and chocolates were a very nice touch.

The bar is lovely and the food excellent.

I can thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank francophileonthemove
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you have enjoyed your stays with us and appreciate the feedback about my cards!

We hope it will not be too long until we are welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Without doubt the worst hotel I have stayed in this year. Ramshackled goes only so far - so does faded glory. I arrive in June and my room was 32C and just a small fan to try and improve the situation. A labarynth of corridors (I really would not fancy trying to get out in a fire), creaky floos and creaky beds. Bathroom had seen better days.

However, location is good for the city and port and breakfast was good, wifi also worked well first time. I will not be going back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am sorry you were unhappy with your stay for which I apologise. We do have a duty manager available at all times who could have made your stay more comfortable had you made us aware of your concerns.

The hotel is over 500 years old and as a result does have a few squeeky floorboards but that is part of the hotels character!

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Don't miss a short stay in Southampton and stay at the MercureDolphin. It's a very old institution that has been updated to be a very pleasant experience. The location is the old town, just 2 blocks from Bargate one way and 2 blocks from the Red Lion Pub the other way. All old town attractions are walkable from the Do.phin.

1  Thank edithpennsylvani

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel on your next visit to the city,

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have been to Southampton in September 2012 and stayed in this hotel for two days. I really enjoyed the good English breakfast, which was a little bit too expensive to my oppinion but I think it`s normal for Britain. Especially the coffee was MUCH better than I´d expected from English coffee. Staff were very friendly and gave its best to understand my Special English. The room and especially the bathroom were very comfortable. I really liked the very British atmosphere in this hotel and wouldn`t hesitate to come back again. The only really bad thing was that the coathangers were fixed :-D (only joking, of course)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay in September with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I really appreciate your feedback and was very pleased you enjoyed the coffee, although I am confused about your score of 3 out of 5 considering you enjoyed your stay?

We hope to welcome you back in the future.