“Fine until there is a problem”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
edwinstowe england
“Fine until there is a problem”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel any times, last year 4 times while cruising from Southampton even introducing a couple of friend who we travel with us. As the hotel is ideally located and we have had no problems with the hotel itself. Our problems started November last year while we were away, our car was damaged. The hotel now have a procedure of leaving your keys with them while you are away, this was not always the case. On this occasion having left the car, which they check and made notes of any marks before you leave we returned to a damage car. All seemed well initially although I did have to call the hotel a number of times to check progress of their insurance claim. We then received communication from the insurance company who wanted all the details again but would not talk to us as we were not the business, this was eventually sorted and a quote was sent. We have heard nothing since the hotel has not even had the decency to return our called, the manager always seems to be on a day off or in a meeting. Still awaiting return call from hotel or their insurance company. As our contract is with the hotel it really is not our job to keep contacting the insurance company who have done nothing as of today.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank nettles
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Mr Nettleship

I am in receipt of your review. I am sorry you feel this matter has not been handled well, I am sure you can appreciate in such circumstances we are in the hands of third parties so these things can take time, but I do apologise for my lack of communication. As this type of incident has not happened before it has been a learning curve for us.

We are in the process of dealing with the matter for you and hope we can get it resolved quickly, I do hope we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel in the future so we can restore your faith.

Neil Brailsford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Loddiswell, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Lovely little room outside, part from the lack of hot water. Were quick to resolve situation as they offered us a change of room which had very hot water. The staff were very polite and proffesional, but the waitress in the restuarant made a strange comment when I orded a second bottle of wine for two of us, the lager in the bar was warm so had to have bottled beers. Overall was a very pleasent stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pom13
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback and apologise for the issues you experienced however I was pleased to read we dealt with the situation quickly.

I do hope you will choose to stay with us again here at the Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel, in the future so we can prove your experience is not reflective of the high standards we offer.

Drayton, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel that we use regularly whilst cruising from Southampton.For a one off price of £139. That includes bed and breakfast and Parking for up to 14 days is ideal for cruises that leave from Southampton. We always travel to Southampton the day before the cruise as we can board with Cunard at 12 noon on the day of sailing. and have a restful day prior to the cruise. Your parking for 14 days will come to this price if you park at the Docks.

Room Tip: Ask for lower floor. They are larger. Room 003
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Peter B
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

We are pleased to read you find the park and cruise package good value and enjoy staying with us.

I hope to welcome you back before your depart on your next adventure!

Hampshire
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Had afternoon tea here today, must say hotel has changed a lot over the past few years much more open. Very nice. When our tea arrived plenty of sandwiches for three, then lovely scones with oodles of jam and cream. Then cakes one coffee which was nice but for all chocoholics the last cake was amazing. More than enough tea. We also had a glass of champagne too very nice, not a glass of cheap plonk. Having finished our tea (pot each) we were offered more and given a plate of biscuits too just in case we were still peckish. Very attentive staff. Definitely go again, as I only live about 10 miles away.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Lisalu0310Hampshire
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your afternoon tea with us.

I was pleased to read you like the revelopment of the hotel and enjoyed the food and service.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel very soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I chose to stay here whilst on a business trip instead of staying in the New Forest where I would normally stay.
This is a very old hotel and the noise is quiet significant. I had a room next to the lift so could here it going up and down all night, and some one in the room next to me ordered room service at 5am and the person delivering the food was so loud he probably woke the whole hotel. The windows are the old fashioned sash type which look really nice but do not keep the street noise or the wind out!
The bed and the pillows were the hardest I had ever slept in!
On check-in I did not get a friendly welcome, instead I was made to feel like I was disturbing the receptionist from more important things. Check-out was very different and the lady was very helpful.
Carpark is not easy to find, and I found it by accident otherwise I would have been driving around for ages. It is not signed until you are about to turn in. It is located behind the hotel but be aware of the one-way system which is why it makes it harder to find.
For £80/night (business rate) I felt the hotel was not worth it. I was offered breakfast for an additional £9.95 if I booked before the morning or £14.95 on the day. The breakfast was very good and offered a wide variety of options.

Room Tip: Avoid the main road! Avoid rooms near the lifts!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for he review I was sorry to read there were elements of your stay that you were disapointed with, please be assured your feedback will be addressed with my team.

I do hope you will choose to stay here at the Mecure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future so we can prove your experience does not reflect the high standards we offer.

Gneral Manager
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Stayed here for one night in twin room (115) and must say the room was a bit shabby and small, maybe the double rooms are bigger? considering the hotel was upgraded recently we had no radiators that worked in the room and they had left a heater in there not good for a 4 star hotel we thought!
There are no hooks in the bathroom to hand towels and the sinks are totally impractical, shower also not very good and water look warm! Reception area seemed to be a mess with a small desk and only one receptionist on duty so people always waiting around to check in or out. It is in a very good location although opposite a lap dancing club! breakfast expensive @ 14.95 so did not bother as I cannot justify spending that sort of money just on breakfast and can only assume that most people who have it are on a B&B package or it is being paid for by thier company.
Smoking area outside could have been better although there was an ashtray but was full of fags ends on the top when we went there last thing of a night and they were all still there the following morning, surely the night porter could clean this overnight?
Building work going on opposite our room so banging started at around 08.15 and carries on until about 6pm so early up and no afternoon siesta! The only thing really I thought was good was it's location andthe price we paid by booking well in advance.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us.

I appreciate your feedback which will be discussed and actioned with my team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel soon.

Italy
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have spent 2 days in Southampton, choosing New Dolphin hotel due to proximity to my son's apartment as well as the main shopping area of the city. The hotel is old enough but nicely refurbished according to the latest trends and technology. Check-in was quick, and staff is very helpful. We have been allocated at a room at the far endof a corridor, which was a little strange having to pas various doors & stairs.
The only disappointment was the bed, which was very unconfortable for 2 people, having a declination towards the middle. I hope that the beds will be changed in the future, as we intend to visit this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank easy1008
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and have noted your comments regrding the bed.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.