“Grand Hotel”

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Galway, Ireland
“Grand Hotel”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here for just one night in Oct 2012. Charming, old style hotel. Nothing to flashy but very comfortable. Creaking floors etc just add to the charm. Didn't eat in restaurant but looked like a nice place for a meal.

Staff very helpful. Great location. Good value. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JamesLo1981
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for posting your thoughts following your recent stay with us.

I was delighted you enjoyed your stay and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming back to the Mercure Southampton Cente Dolphin Hotel soon.

Neil Brailsford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have only stayed one night in the Mercure Dolphin hotel but I have really liked the stay. I think the staff deserves top mark: very friendly and happy to help. Thumbs up to the friendly lady at the reception desk!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank xav_abc
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I will pass on your kind words to the team.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel in the future.

Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stay here on Sat 27th Oct. Check in good staff really helpful. The room clean well presented and modern. The buffet style breakfast included in the room rate was also excellent, with freshly cooked eggs and bacon regularly replaced.
The location is also good with a 2 minute pleasant walk to the town centre. Will definately go back there again next time I'm in Southampton. There's also parking on site.

Room Tip: There was talk of rooms facing the pedestrian area being noisy, but I stayed there on a Saturday nig...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Tim H
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing you recent stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the city.

east sussex
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for a couple of days at the Dolphin with my kids during half term as a base to meet up with family. I can give the staff here top marks, they bent over backwards to help us & made our stay an exceptional one. They really are the most friendly, helpful team you can imagine & they all work as one team, from the receptionists, waiters & waitresses, kitchen staff, housekeeping staff & management, we encountered them all & they all deserve a great big Thankyou from us! Thankyou all at the Dolphin!

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank wolfie145
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your review, I was delighted to read your kind comments about the team and the high level of service you received and I will of course ensure this feedback is communicated to the team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel on your next trip to the city.

London
Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay at this quirky, old hotel and would have given a higher rating had it not been for the fact on the Saturday night after a good night out there was no heating, it was freezing. When we checked out the receptionist mentioned that there was a heating issue during the night but made zero effort to offer a discount for this. I am not in the habit of seeking discounts when not happy I just don't return to that hotel......let down.

The hotel is well placed for the High street and all that Southampton has to offer such as pubs clubs and restaurants

Parking signage at the hotel needs to improve so you can find the way in but no panic there is a well signed NCP car park where we ended up and had no issues all weekend

Service at the hotel was good but personally think a little pricey bearing in mind you can walk 2 mins and get the same beer cheaper

• Stayed October 2012
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I was pleased to read overall you enjoyed your stay with us and my sincere aplogies for the fact you were effected by the mechanical problems we experienced on Saturday evening.

I do hope you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights here. The staff were brilliant. When booking I mentioned we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and we were given a really nice room with chocolaits and a hand written note of congratulations. All the staff couldn't stop smiling throughout our stay. It was a joy to be there. I would have given a 5 star rating but for the wine list. Far too high priced for the quality on offer but that was all I could fault. Well done.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Seawings1998
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest

Firstly congratulations again on your anniversary.

Many thanks for your review, I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and will of course ensure your kinds words are communicated to my team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel in the future.

london
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Very well situated for the city centre. Shops within walking distance. The room was a little drab and needed brightening up with soft furnishings but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. The dining room was vey pleasant and there was a good menu at very reasonable prices. I only stayed one night but I would definately go back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank londonsilverlady
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us here at The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin hotel.

I was delighted to read you found the hotel to represent good value and you enjoyed our new winter menu that was intrdroduced last week.

We hope to welcome you back soon.