“No sleep room” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“No sleep room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on17th September 2012
Hotel is in a good central position and the staff were very nice
The room was another matter
We arrived at 11pm the room was so hot it was impossible to sleep
We opened a window and used the fan in the room to cool it down this helped a little but still to hot.
We finally got to sleep at 3. 30 am
At 5am the fans of the kitchen were switched on I thought a jet was crashing into the room the sound was so loud
When we checked out I informed the reception of our less than restful night
They said on our next stay we would not be put in that room.
That was not my point, in my opinion no one should be put in that room it should be a store room
I was trying to give constructive criticism
I paid £99 to spend the night in a slow cooker
If you stay at this hotel do not have room over or near the kitchens

Iom

Room Tip: Go to holiday inn
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest

I am sorry to read you experienced a poor nights sleep for which I sincerley apologise. Whilst I appreciate it is inconvenient we may have been able to move you to a different room if you had given us the opportunity whilst you were with us.

My apologies again and I do hope you will return to Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future so we can prove your experience is not reflective of the standards we offer

Neil Brailsford

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
IRELAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

Hotel was 10 minutes walk from show and good value for money.
Check in was prompt but room was a long walk away.
Room was clean but bathroom was in need of upgrade.
Would have no problem using this hotel again.

Room Tip: Room which not too far away.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BAILEATACLIATH
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, your feedback is noted.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel at next years boat show.

Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on Monday 8th October, prior to our cruise on the Queen Mary 2 and did this hotel through us some things of thought !! On arrival we were upgraded to a suite, room 104, which was nice, but was a little sparce in the bedroom, but large, a strange bathroom, with a tired bath, but with a modern 'wow' style hand basin, which was completely out of character with the rest of the bathroom and a sitting room with a chair, two-seater settee and a TV. I brought the chair into the sparce bedroom and we never used the sitting area. The bed and bedroom were not level (because of the character of the building) which is fair enough, but it caused me to not get a very good nights sleep.
The bar area, restaurant and reception service were all excellent, we had a nice 'light snack' in the bar in the evening and got very good service from a girl called 'Tamire' or a similar name.
This is all for the excellent deal of £105 for Bed beakfast and evening meal and the evening meal could have genuinely been a three course meal in the restaurant, but as we were going on the QM 2 the next day, we were happy with a relaxed drink and eat !!
However, I would have concerns if I had to stay here at the weekend, as there is a Lap Dancing Bar directly opposite 'For Your Eyes Only' and also a couple of big bars nearby, as I would imagine it would be busy and probably noisey as it is in the centre of town. These type of locations also attract a certain 'client and customer' and not what I would want to be around.
A very difficul review, that could have been a 4 star, but I decided on 3 and don't think we would stay there again and certainly not at a weekend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank the_cadmans
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your recent stay with us.

I was really pleased to read you enjoyed the service an food and appreciate your thoughts on room 104. Whilst we are unable to choose our 'neighbours' I would like to assure you that we try and minimise disturbance to our guests where possible.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Gloucestershire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel last year and that is the reason we stayed this year prior to a cruise.
Have to say we were dissapointed, check in was fine and room was ready at 1215 which was nice. However the rooms and in particular the bathroom badly needs decorating window in bathroom had paint peeling from frames also there was mould on the frame reccesses and also there was mould on the grab handles on the bath (but this is just down to bad room cleaning).

Also the shower over bath was useless could have had a better shower with a water pisitol !!
We booked in for BB and dinner, breakfast was ok but dinner was average service was very slow, after the main course we asked if we would like to see the swwet menu, yes please i said but after 20 to 25 min's the( head waiter i think) asked why or if we were waiting and i said we were still waiting to see the sweet menu, this he rectified and we ordered, he did appolgise when i signed the bill.

In the morning after breakfast and a bit of shopping we returned to the hotel to kill time before going to the cruise terminal we went into the lounge bar and were asked by the receptionist if we would like coffe yes please i replied she said ok i will get someone however this was at 1015 the coffe never showed up by 1130, by this time we had gone off the idea and had to leave the hotel. for the cruise terminal.

Would i stay here again? not unless the room and restaurant service is immproved.
If you use sat nav to arrive at the hotel you need to enter BACK OF THE WALLS and this will take you to the rear of the hotel and car park.

Room Tip: Get a room at the rear of hotel overlooking courtyard view is not good but there is no traffic noise...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your second stay with us.

I was disapointed to read of the issues you encounterted with your allocated room and for the poor service in the restaurant, for which I sincereley apologise. I would like to reassure you that this is not reflective of the high standards we offer and your feedback will be addressed with my team.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Stayed in July 2011 got a great group, family deal. Hotel was a great base for exploring the south. Staff where very friendly if initially a little starch. Great rooms for the price. Only issue were lack of parking space. Car park spaces where reserved for guests who where on a cruise. Would definitely recommend this hotel for a short break.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest

We really appeciate your feedback, our car park does get very busy but there is plenty of overflow parking available at discounted rates.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcomng you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future

Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I travel to Southampton with work fairly regularly and have tried several of the hotels in the city. This one remains my favourite for a number of reasons. Firstly it's clean, comfortable, and the staff are excellent. It's also in a great central location with lovely restaurants and bars on your doorstep. And they also have a decent car park on site. The other guests tend to be elderly couples staying overnight before embarking on a cruise, so it's generally very quiet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Colz
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Many thanks for reviewing your experiences with us. I am delighted to read you rate us as your favourite hotel in the city and I will of course pass on your feedback to the team.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcomg you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

The only issues I have with this hotel relate to the room. The service, breakfast, decor of hotel etc were all if a high standard.

However our actual room was another story. The actual decor was very modern and clean. The room was far too small for two people though and was quite hot. Unfortunately we were on the ground floor so we couldn't keep the window open. Not that we would want to keep it open anyway because the hotel smoking area was outside our window. This meant that it was noisy enough until the early hours, and that was with the window closed. In the Summer I would think that this is unbearable. The bathroom was also very small.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Richard S
NBrailsford, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us here at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.

I really appreciate your feedback that will help us to improve the service and facilities we offer.

We do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back and we will of course ensure you are allocated a different room