Tripadvisor

Ranked #289 of 1,006 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Shopping trip. A Monday late-lunchtime. Restaurant was steadily busy. Two different pizzas - one vegetarian. Both very good. Soft drinks chosen (pretty wide selection) but plenty of alcoholic drinks available. Pleasant friendly servers. Tip: If you have a Tastecard you can use it here (check t&c’s beforehand).

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (206)

Reviewed January 12, 2020

From the get go myself and my friends were neglected and forgotten about despite copious amounts of staff that were available/stood around which should of been a deterrent from the start tbh. I was then made to feel unwelcome and uncomfortable as I was initially denied a children’s pasta meal; I’m 18 but due to PERSONAL reasons I have not much of an appetite and that should of been none of the waiters concern! However I was armed with the facts that on the pizza express website the piccolo children’s menu Is stated to have ‘no age limit’ so they begrudgingly said no more. Once our food arrived firstly my plate was thrusted with considerable vigour in front of me whilst saying nothing. My friend who is gf due to being coeliac and diabetic double checked if her meal was gf yet the response was merely ‘yeah’ with no warmth or understanding of the severity of the situation if it were to contain gluten. It then took an age for our plates to be cleared and even longer for the bill that we had to ask for numerous times; no one came to check on us and we all felt quite neglected considering the amount of staff lingering around ! Then there was a huge debacle about adding our 30% off student discount and once it came to splitting the payments between us 3 the lady looked at us as if we were from another planet and continued to act coldly and bluntly whilst we calculated our shares of payments ! Overall we felt the staff were rude and cold and I’ve had numerous experiences of the same at pizza express in west quay so much so that I shall never return again and will complain to head office. I work in sales and I understand that some people have off days but that’s no excuse for such consistently poor customer service, there needs to be a serious re think of the staff or at least the amount of training at this pizza express. Never come here !!

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 31, 2019

To echo what others have said, Pizza Express has gone rapidly downhill in the last couple of years - increasing prices which really do NOT represent the quality of the food, and increasingly measly pizza size and toppings. They roll the pizzas out so thin now you can see through the bottom. As our local pizza express (Oxford Street, Southampton) is temporarily closed, we have been to the city centre restaurant a couple of times. It is possible the most depressing place on earth. The staff are utterly miserable and unaccommodating, and act as if you're putting them out by asking them for anything. Strawberry blond/red haired woman was particularly bitter. The food in all PE restaurants needs an overhaul, but this one in particular needs to do something about it's utterly awful staff. Think they've lost some regular customers for good now, sorry.

Reviewed December 23, 2019

My wife and I have been fans of Pizza Express since it first opened. However it is sad to say that we are becoming more and more disappointed, prices seems to be ever increasing and do not represent good value as they used to. I paid no less than £15.30 for a Porchetta Pizza, I expected the top of the pizza to be covered with pulled pork, but no just tiny blobs around the edge and a few slices of panchetta. I have no hesitation in saying that I considered the price of £15.30 an absolute rip-off, I doubt that the total value of the ingredients topped £1.00, I will pay for good value any day, this experience wads disappointing to say the least and it will be some time before I venture into a Pizza Express again, if ever.

Reviewed December 7, 2019 via mobile

We've had great Nicoise and Caesar salads here in the past and in other branches. This time round they noticeably skimped on the principal ingredients (I.e. tuna, chicken, etc...). The mixed salad was a stretch to believe consisting easily >90% of only lettuce leaves.

We did not want to make a fuss. But thought no cheese on the Caesar was a small ask to rectify. They only did so after I showed a photo taken of the salad before we tucked in (- one of the rare occasions I'm glad my wife always takes photos for Facebook)