“The Pig just keeps on getting better”

and 1 more site!
The Pig in the Wall
Ranked #2 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“The Pig just keeps on getting better”
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

Took advantage of the breakfast and supper package and can't praise the hotel and staff enough. We were upgraded due to it being my wife's birthday and loved the room we ended up in. Like the other Pig the beds are the most comfortable around. It's so rare in England to find a place where staff actually care about the guest and Anita was first class and made our stay even more memorable. Breakfast and Supper were amazing and the option get a landrover taxi to The Pig show how customer focused they are. We love everything The Pig stands for and can't wait for the new hotels to open. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Clarkesville
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We loved the PIG. The fact that it was stuck in an historic wall was an added bonus. We were greeted with warm welcome. Staff waiting to carry our bags up lots of stairs. I stayed in the "Snug" up, up, then straight up to tippytop of hotel. My room was tiny, but so very cute, and had every amenity anyone could ask for. Big, bathroom. Windows that tilted down so breeze could cross room. Just adorable for one person. Location of hotel was perfect for sending our granddaughter off for a Semester at Sea. Docks in walking distance, but with luggage, not best use of our time. Our party had two more rooms, both just as well done as mine. Our daughter's came complete with fire place, huge king bed, separate WC from rest of bath. I cannot imagine the hoops the owners jumped through to get this incredible old hotel to its present condition."Charming" is the word used most often, but it just doesn't convey the feeling of comfort, good cheer AND charm the hotel displays. As I mentioned, an extra bonus is the wall itself. The arch the pilgrims went through to board the Mayflower was right beside our door. Should I mention that the non-sinkable Titanic also sailed from the other side of the wall? So, need a place to stay in historic Southampton? Stick your fork in the PIG!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lambertville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Pig in the Wall

Visiting Southampton easily six times a year for various cruise industry-related events, I’ve pretty much stayed in most of its hotels, including the DeVere at the Harbour (which incidentally is no longer part of DeVere) and the darling Ennio’s, along with places nearby, such as the Hotel du Vin in Winchester, and Lime Wood and Terravina in the New Forest. The opening of the first seriously upmarket (well, upmarket for Soton) property, the boutique Pig in the Wall, was exciting.

I wish my stay had been at the very least comfortable, pleasant, cozy, worth the high priced tariff. But the Pig in the Wall was a genuine disappointment (and back to Ennio’s, a small more value-oriented property that’s attractive, has a great location, and is staffed with nice people, we will go).

First the good stuff. Pig in the Hole is very, very charming. Lots of character. The lounge is comfortable, you can order snacks (along the lines of charcuterie) and drinks, the fee-extra breakfast has a nice, organic selection, and the front patio on a sunny day is a marvelous place to sip a glass of wine. The hotel’s location is prime; it’s across from the one-time DeVere, so on the Harbor Road with the waterfront easily walkable in one direction and downtown easily walkable in the other.

My room was bijoux, very very small, but pretty in the manner of my grandmother’s decorating tastes.

That’s the good. The bad? I’m big on service and when you’re paying the market price for The Pig you do expect at the very least a pleasant welcome. Nah. From being greeted brusquely with “I need your credit card please” to, having settled my bill, being told not goodbye, please come again or some other such drivel but a cold “Did you leave your key?” my overall reaction was UGH. I don’t want stay at a place where travelers are made to feel unwanted. That’s just the antithesis of the concept of hospitality.

Another big challenge: Cell service in the hotel is ridiculously spotty and poor (which, when I mentioned it, the very cheerless woman from check-in blamed it on the town of Southampton. I thought that was rich since the only place I had a problem was in the hotel, not outside). Still, and honoring and understanding that a lack of cell signal could be caused by the very historic nature of the property (and the wall it’s tucked into), it would have been nice to be warned (or at least to have the problem pleasantly addressed). At one point at midnight, I had to get dressed to go outside to take a call. Really?

Again, it comes back to service. There are ways to handle challenges that aren’t offensive to guests. But that’s not the M.O. at the Pig. For me that’s a perplexing, and epic failure, at a property with so much potential.

Room Tip: No elevators so factor that in if you've got a lot of luggage. I was in room 1. It was claustrop...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Carolyn S
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Pig in the wall is quite simply awesome. On arrival we were greeted by a super friendly team and were shown up to room number 6 - which was stunning. We have visited the Pig in Brockenhurst so had high expectations although the facilities in this hotel exceeded my expectations for the price we paid for dinner, bed and breakfast. All the staff who looked after us were so helpful, with a fun yet professional approach to their work, they gave us all the information we needed but also gave us plenty of space to enjoy our break. When I booked this break, I was asked if I had any special requirements and mentioned that we were visiting to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, the young lady (can't remember her name sorry) who showed us around our room and seated us for breakfast was particularly helpful answering any questions we had with friendly smile and some good humour.

Not only is the Pig in the wall extremely comfortable, it is stylish, oozes character and has a feeling of effortless old English country charm. The owners and designers have paid attention to every detail from floor to ceiling (literally) and my wife I were left with a WOW factor on numerous occasions during our stay. The shower was incredible and I realise it seems a bit odd to rave about a shower - but I guess you have to try it to know what I am talking about. The modern style super-comfortable four poster bed was also a winner and the Roberts bedside radio tuned to classic fm perfectly added to ambience of the hotel.

Before our evening meal we had time for some "piggy bites" and the platter of continental meats was excellent and the best pork scratching's were, I think the best I have ever tasted.

As part of our package we were taken in the "Pig rover" out to the Pig in Brock' and again the driver - Paul was professional, friendly and careful with his driving. We had time for a drink in the evening summer sunshine up by the tennis courts and then went into the conservatory for dinner. The food was first rate and our waiter, a really helpful young Scot helped steer us towards some exciting menu choices. I started with the belly pork and then switched from having my usual default steak, over to wood pigeon served on beetroot mash for main - unusual but surprisingly tasty, succulent and filling. My wife was also equally pleased with her polenta and chorizo starter followed by pork loin on a mustard mash with chard. The mint mouse with chocolate ice cream topped dinner off perfectly. After eating we decided that an overnight stay at the Pig in Brock' is definitely on the cards for the near future.

Breakfast back at the Pig in the wall was amazing - the granola that is made in the kitchen was awesome as were the granola bars, meats, cheeses, pastries and copious slices of toast topped with fresh honeycomb. We almost could not stop eating and it will take a few gym trips to forget how good the food was!

I would like to say to the managers/ owners of the respective Pig's that, your staff are brilliant - well trained, happy and attentive to just the right levels - well done they are true ambassadors for the Pig brand.

We had a truly splendid stay - I have never been inspired to write on Trip Advisor before, but after such a perfect 24 hours I felt that to not share how good the Pig in the wall and the Pig really are would be terribly selfish.

Thank you very much - these two sister hotels deserve with the highest recommendation I can possibly offer.

Room Tip: Only saw room 6 but it was fantastic.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KC36
Marlborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2013

This hotel close to West Quay at Southampton is a real gem. The breakfast is superb. You cook your own eggs and do your own toast.
All set in comfortable and relaxing surroundings.
Having been to The Pig in Brockenhurst we were expecting high quality and we were not disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel itself is outstanding, and quirky. Beautiful luxury room, large comfortable bed, coffee making facilities, powerful "monsoon" shower, writing desk, etc, however the carpet in the room was surprisingly painful to walk on ( some hessian weave I think). Hotel built into old Southampton city wall. Secure parking private parking behind electrically operated gates. Very convenient for Southampton City Cruise terminal. Wonderful hotel, and great breakfast.

However, there is no restaurant, and no evening meal. They take you to a sister hotel in Brockenhurst, the Pig in the Forest (25 minutes away by car) to eat, by means of a Landrover, and here is the problem. The Landrover was extremely difficult to get into. Very high and narrow steps, and it really is a problem, unless you are very strong and agile. In fact, my partner fell off the step trying to get in, and scraped her entire leg down the step, causing severe bruising down her entire leg. This was 3 weeks ago now, and leg is still not right, and still painful. This almost ruined our 2 week cruise, and constrained our excursions to cities. The doctor has prescribed antibiotics, to try to take down down the swelling. Nor was the driver of the Landrover much help. His initial comment was that we would have to get a taxi, if we could not get into his Landrover. Eventually, however, he reluctantly provided a small set of plastic steps, which did help a lot to get into the vehicle, but he considered the use of the steps as a health risk (cobbled pavement). My view is that the Landrover itself was the risk.. And it was very uncomfortable to ride in. Very hard bumpy ride. Nor was the driver's driving acceptable, especially on the way back from Brockenhurst. He drove too fast, and too close to the vehicles in front. His driving was so aggressive, that we were being tossed around like rag dolls in the back. Girls beware if wearing high shoes or tight skirts. It would be even harder to get into, and would give the driver a cheap thrill. He even joked about such eventualities.

Nor was the restaurant in Brockenhurst enjoyable. Beautiful setting in a New Forest clearing, but the food was not our style at all. No simple wholesome food - not even steak. Mostly pork., and so messed around with to try to emulate Master Chef, that the food was the best part of inedible. In my opinion the food was pretentious over priced and over cheffed.

The hotel is really worth staying in, but I suggest that it would be more pleasant to eat in the Holiday Inn just over the road. Avoid the restaurant and the trauma of the Landrover. This might save you a serious injury too. The hotel is lucky that we did not sue them for injuries sustained.

The hotel is expensive but good - £160 for a double room. The restaurant is also expensive too - £70 for an inedible meal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Roger H
perth west australia
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Two nights fantastic shower!!!!! great service, breaky great service very good and one must go to the pig in the forrest restaurant if you can best dinner in the uk whilst there. Secured car park out the back. Few drinks before dinner with nibbles.....be back long way from Oz but will be back

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple