“Friendly and convenient”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
Antico Boutique Hotel
Ranked #36 of 43 Southampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed for one night and our room and ensuite were very clean and the bed was very comfortable.
The staff we met were friendly and welcoming.
Breakfast was very good (poached eggs and bacon).
The bar area was quite busy on a Saturday night (with a nice crowd) and I was concerned about hearing noise in our room but this was not a problem at all; we had a peaceful nights sleep ( and we were facing the road).

Two very minor points: the wide selection of tea bags in the room did not include 'ordinary' English Breakfast tea. There wasn't a chair at the desk! (No problem for us as we didn't want to do any work!)

Antico is just round the corner from Oxford street with a great selection of bars and restaurants and very close to Oceon Village and our son's Hall of Residence (the reason for our visit).

We would stay there again.

Room Tip: We had a superior room on the top floor which was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed at Antico for 2 nights during a business trip. The room was clean, service was good, and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food was excellent, well presented and promptly served. Reception is currently at the bar but there are plans to develop a formal reception area. I had a small, single room facing the road, which was noisy at times, but I had read that on other reviews so expected it. Some of the double rooms face away from the road so you could probably ask for one when booking. There was a large booking in the restaurant on the night I ate there, but the staff still paid attention to me and I was served very promptly.

Room Tip: Quite a few of the rooms face onto busy roads but there are other double rooms facing away from the...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Antico hotel for 1 night on 26th January the experience was very hit and miss. On arrival there was no reception and we checked in at the bar where a very pleasant professional bar staff took us to our room, the room itself looked of good standard but there were a few little issue, there was no hotel information “Welcome back” with breakfast times, check out time , wifi information etc, the UHT milk provided in the room for tea and coffee facilities was nearly 3 months out of date with a best before of November 2012, there is no wardrobe or cupboard for storing clothes which was not a huge drama as we were only staying 1 night but there was hangers provided on hooks in the room and no telephone in the room to contact staff if there was an issues. The room itself was very clean, very comfortable bed with very good pillows and noise was not an issue, the room could do with some touch up decoration but nothing major.
Our stay in the hotel was to take a friend and her partner out for a meal to celebrate her birthday and we decided on the hotel for the “20% discount” deal we were promised by email on confirmation of the hotel booking we were told at the end of the night on receiving the bill the offer is only available midweek much to our disappointment. This is a major issue that needs to be addressed if confirmation emails are stating offer that are not being fulfilled.
The restaurant itself was fantastic everyone enjoyed the food and it was of a very high standard and the staff was very professional and went out of their way to bring out the cake we had brought with us, we could not fault the service and this made us look forward to the delights of breakfast the next morning.
The rest of the evening was spend in the bar with again very good service and was a very nice atmosphere, heading to bed there was a small issue where the corridor outside a room marked “Private” smelt very strongly of cigarette smoke and was not very pleasant for 2 non smokers (especially as on the corridor wall there was a sign stating this property is a non smoking establishment)
As stated earlier both my partner and I were really looking forward to breakfast after the wonderful food and service in the restaurant the night before but much to our dismay it was almost like walking in to another establishment. Firstly we were not offered any tea or coffee from the waitress/bar staff just provided with the cooked breakfast menu and was told there was juice and cereal on the side of the bar. Where the cooked breakfast option all sounded very tempting, the selection of cereals (one huge bowl of cornflakes) and lack of any continental breakfast or pastries was very disappointing and Happy Shopper Yoghurts with 4 for £1.20 on the carton.
Both of us decided to order the full English breakfast to which the waitress hurried away to the kitchen again with no mention of any hot drinks and it would have been nice if there was an option of how the eggs where cooked (as there was Poached and Scrambled egg on the menu with other cooked options) but maybe that’s our opinion. My partner then asked if we could get two pots of tea which arrived in tea pots with scolding hot handles and no warning from the staff. The cooked breakfast arrived and was of reasonable standard but was served with cold toast (again no option of white or brown bread).
As a restaurant and bar this place cannot be faulted on either the service or food but as a hotel there is issue that need to be addressed. I would recommend this establishment as a restaurant but as a hotel it is a great shame that the service provided in the restaurant and bar does not continue into the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DMitch82
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have just spent the night at this hotel. It cost me £55 for a small single room which i was fine with. but the room was freezing even though the small radiator was on.
you were given tea etc with a kettle, but the milk was 3 months out of date....
the room continued to be cold over night.

plus the Wifi wasnt working---- i needed it to do work, business people do not go here!!
I had booked a taxi for 8.00am to get me to my interview. it had been arranged i would have breakfast at 7.45.
i was down at 7.40.. the cook seemed to be there but wasnt bothered about making my order. even more than this he was spending the time picking his nose.... the woman there continued to tell me it was cold and that the water on the stove was taking longer to head up therefore this is why my poached eggs were not ready.

the taxi arrived and still no food.... the woman asked if i wanted takeaway and this now being fried egg because its apparently quicker.... i agreed. got into the taxi but i made sure the food went straight into the nearest bin.... i dont really fancy a dirty meal make by a skanky cook.

advice --- 1) fire him dirty man.
2) get new double glazed windows

Room Tip: One that has no windows
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank xamezx
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'm sure that the hotel itself is fantastic, but my experience with them was appalling. I booked on the Monday for a Friday & Saturday night stay. At 22:15 on Thursday (the night before my arrival) I received an email saying that unfortunately my booking was cancelled due to a water leak on Wednesday night and that if I wanted them to look into alternative accommodation I needed to call them. I understand these things happen, so phoned first thing on the Friday and asked that they find me a suitable alternative in a 4* in the city centre (not unreasonable as they advertise themselves as a 4* boutique). After chasing a couple of times throughout the day, I was told they had found me a room at the premier inn, which would cost me an extra £20. I was not particularly happy with this and asked if there was anything else available as I was supposed to be treating my partner to a nice weekend away, not a corporate night between meetings. The response I received was that this is what they were offering, and if I didn't like it then I had to book my own. When requesting to have a chat with the manager, I raised the fact that I wasn't happy with the Premier Inn and less impressed with the fact that I would have to foot the bill for the additional costs. It is my understanding that it is the hotel's responsibility to source a room of a similar standard at the same rate they guaranteed for their room. The manager was not happy with this and proceed with a torrent of abuse to me, [--] and blinding about me 'breaking his [--] and [--] him off. This resulted in him calling me several names not fit to be broadcast in public and telling me to speak to his backside and book my own [--] room somewhere else.

I could have understood this if I was asking for something unreasonable, but throughout the conversation I remained calm, level and reasonable. Offering to split the difference in rate with the hotel for me to move to an alternative was another option I put on the table, only to be told that I either stay at the premier inn, or sleep in the gutter like I deserve.

This is honestly the worst experience I have ever had with a hotel and bearing in mind I spend a large quantity of my time in and out of them with work, that's pretty impressive. I've stayed in hotels with green water coming out of the taps and would still go back to them before dealing with the vile creature that manages Antico.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CharlieL84
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I have stayed at the Anitco twice in the last 2 weeks and found it terrific value for money. The single rooms are small but very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and pillows better than home! The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. My second stay was on my own but I didn't lack for conversation in the bar. The bar food was excellent as was the breakfast which is included in the price. I will return whenever I need a hotel in Southampton.
It is also has a car park opposite which is free from 6pm until 8am and yards away from the bars and restaurants on Oxford Street.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed at the Antico Boutique Hotel - booked that night for last minute (due to mix up at hotel we had booked) Lovely hotel , bedroom nicely decorated and very comfy bed - quite compact but for night or two it;s perfect. Super shower too.

Staff are extremely friendly and helpful. Great breakfast - relaxed and informal.

The location in Oxford street is perfect as very central to other bars and restaurants should you wish to stay for weekend and try various places.

Would definitely recommend this hotel and we will stay again -

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends