“Friendly staff, great food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Duke of Wellington
Ranked #31 of 840 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Friendly staff, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Visited here for a meal in the evening when visiting our son at Uni. He had the cheeseburger and thought it was FANTASTIC. It looked pretty good too. The burger looked great quality meat and the salad was fresh and colourful. My fish and chips was amazing and there was no problem when I asked for extra tartar sauce. My husband had the chicken korma, not the best he had ever had he said but OK. Staff were friendly and there was a super choice of beer.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

• Polish first
Houston, Texas
“Fun and Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

A real British Pub with great food & beer. It was fun for a group of Americans like us and everyone was friendly. The "fish & chips" were outstanding and so was the beer. If we had time, we would have gone back for another visit.

Visited October 2013
Auburn, Alabama
“Fantastic Fish and Chips”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

We chose the Duke of Wellington because of its traditional pub appeal. Pints were excellent, and we chose the fish and chips for dinner. I must say the portions are very hearty and this is real fish, not the processed stuff which often get passed off on tourists as the real deal. It was my wife's first experience with a British pub and this old building with its rustic pub atmosphere was the perfect place for our quick supper. Like some pub owners, the bartenders were a bit impatient with us out of towners but the food and surroundings more than made up for it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
london
“nice pub shame about the staff and food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My wife and I returned to this pub after a break of three years as we were at the boatshow, what a disappointment, first of all the chavy landlord was to say the least well refreshed and swearing loudly with a group of locals. weordered food and had to wait forty minutes despite it not being busy.when the food did arrive it was luke warm with rock hard potatoes and soggy vegtables. when we complained the landlord basically told us that if we didn't like it we should go elsewhere though he did not put it as nicely as that! avoid11 at least until change of tenant

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank bitravel20
“Traditional roast with all the trimmings.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Well interestingly I am writing this as I've recently been raving to friends about our meal at the duke and completely disagree with recently posted "very disappointed". We went on the same busy Sunday which was to be expected what with the boat show on which we were attending but came out due to good old English Rain. I agree food is pricey but worth every penny. Both mine and my partners meal was loaded with fesh vegetables and everything cooked to perfection including the rare beef. Yum. I would however like to say I waited 30 mins at least so other couple were privilege with a wait of 20 mins which is perfectly reasonable judging by the busyness and quality of food. Overall the pub has a relaxed atmosphere and building is steeped in history. All staff were lovely and happy to get extra gravy when we asked.

Try it for yourself.. You WONT be disappointed. We will be returning again and again.