“Nice restaurant, below average food.”
Review of Blue Island

Blue Island
Ranked #7 of 909 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional English and Greek food. Breakfast, lunch, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights from 18:00 till 22:00 traditional Greek food (mezedes)
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We ate here as we couldn't get a table at the restaurant we had wanted to eat in. The staff were very welcoming and were very happy to accommodate our requirements to exclude items from one or two dishes.

The food was served promptly, but sadly there were some issues. We ordered Mixed Souvlaki, Chicken Souvla, Kleftiko and Calamari. The souvlaki meat, especially the chicken (!) was rather fatty. I was unable to be sure the pork souvlaki was actually pork, though it was much less fatty than the chicken. The calamari was quite rubbery, but the king prawn starter was very good. The accompanying Greek salad was very fresh, nicely dressed and with some very tasty feta.

Perhaps we were just unlucky with our choice of dishes on the night as all of the other customers seemed to be happily tucking into and enjoying their chosen dishes... the Saganaki was particularly entertaining every time it was flambéd!

We were further disappointed by the American coffees which were clearly filter coffee instead that was rather stewed.

1  Thank Dave B

Reviewed March 8, 2014

my wife and i went for our second time to blue island on friday just gone. we cannot rate this place highly enough, the hospitality is second to none and the food is out of this world.
in short:- if you want to eat quality cooking just go there, you`ll be mad not too.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

We ate here with friends, sharing the mixed meze. We were a bit of awkward party, with one allergic to nuts and 3 not liking seafood, but they adjusted what they brought in the meze to suit our needs and the food was very good and very plentiful. Plus the prices are so reasonable! Absolutely excellent, we'd definitely eat here again. Makes me wish I lived nearer Southampton!

Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We went to Blue Island on a Saturday evening while in Southampton for the weekend. The atmosphere and service of the restaurant were lovely and as many other reviewers have said; great wine. We weren't so keen on the food though, we both ordered souvlaki as we ate this a lot while in Greece and loved it there. The meat and salad were both quite bland and the meat was quite fatty. We had a great night there but I'm not sure we'd go back for the food

Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I had been meaning to visit Blue Island for a while. With nothing to do on a Saturday night we decided the time was right. As soon as we walked through the door we felt welcome. There is a homely feeling in the restaurant and despite not booking we were seated quickly. We spotted the no card sign quickly so I had to make a dash to the cashpoint between courses but this wasn't an issue, after all it helps keep costs down!

We shared a halloumi and pork starter and had complimentary warm pitta bread. For the main I opted for the mixed souvlaki (pork and chicken) while my wife had lamb kleftiko. Her lamb just fell apart and was very tasty, my mixed souvlaki was also very tasty. Both came with mixed salad and chips and olives aplenty. The mains were a good size and exceptional value.

We were to full for desserts but were given complimentary baklava that was very tasty! In fact we were given some to take home!

The food is very good value, tasty and the staff are very friendly. We will definitely be visiting again in the near future :-D