“A little piece of Greece!”
Review of Blue Island

Blue Island
Ranked #10 of 902 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional English and Greek food. Breakfast, lunch, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights from 18:00 till 22:00 traditional Greek food (mezedes)
Reviewed February 16, 2014

My wife and I had been meaning to visit Blue Island for a while. With nothing to do on a Saturday night we decided the time was right. As soon as we walked through the door we felt welcome. There is a homely feeling in the restaurant and despite not booking we were seated quickly. We spotted the no card sign quickly so I had to make a dash to the cashpoint between courses but this wasn't an issue, after all it helps keep costs down!

We shared a halloumi and pork starter and had complimentary warm pitta bread. For the main I opted for the mixed souvlaki (pork and chicken) while my wife had lamb kleftiko. Her lamb just fell apart and was very tasty, my mixed souvlaki was also very tasty. Both came with mixed salad and chips and olives aplenty. The mains were a good size and exceptional value.

We were to full for desserts but were given complimentary baklava that was very tasty! In fact we were given some to take home!

The food is very good value, tasty and the staff are very friendly. We will definitely be visiting again in the near future :-D

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

We've wanted to come to Blue Island for ages as it's had such good reviews and finally we had dinner here tonight! The food, service and atmosphere is excellent. We had grilled halloumi as a starter which was delicious and was served quickly. For mains we had the lamb kleftiko which was melt in your mouth and the mixed souvlaki - so tasty! Mains come with chips and Greek salad too. The meals were so filling we didn't order dessert but we had a lovely surprise of complementary baklava. It was so delicious! The owners even gave us some more to take away - so sweet! It is really homely here, with friendly staff and traditional music in the background - I literally felt like I was on holiday! We will definitely return!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I came here for my birthday meal with my bf and it does not disappoint! It is not the most glamorous of settings but the food and service makes up for it. We had the 15 dish meze and wow it was fantastic! By the time the last few dishes came we were dreading it (in a good way) as we were so full. Love the variety and even the chef came to our table to present some fiery tick with the saganaki. The service was lovely too, I would recommend this to those who love Greek or would like to try a different cuisine.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

We've been to the Blue Island restaurant several times now and the food stays at a consistently high standard and is very reasonably priced. Although Christina was away today, we still got a very warm welcome and felt very at home immediately. We had five starters between four of us, a bowl of french fries, a bottle of wine and coffees and the bill was about £10 per head. The owner is gradually improving the facilities and the toilets are now spotless, which will satisfy those who judge a restaurant by the quality of its loos rather than its food! Next time we want to sample the evening weekend atmosphere at this gem of a restaurant in the heart of Southampton.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

It's quite a casual place with a warm friendly atmosphere and we go there regularly. They serve a 15-dish meze marathon for under £18! We never managed to finish all of it, but they are happy to box it for you.

All the meat (except the kleftiko) is grilled over real charcoal!!! The kleftiko is authentically cooked for hours in the oven. We had some of it boxed, and it was tender and juicy even after 3 days in fridge.
The salad comes with generous portion of feta cheese. The dolmades are delicious and made the cypriot way with vine leaves, mince meat and rice. The chicken souvla was amazing.

The wine is cheap and good but limited range. They also offer a discount for students.

1  Thank Niki J