“Good average, but average all the same”
Review of Blue Island

Blue Island
Ranked #4 of 887 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional English and Greek food. Breakfast, lunch, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights from 18:00 till 22:00 traditional Greek food (mezedes)
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Having recently returned from a holiday in Thessaloniki we wanted to recapture a little of that holiday spirit by finding a Greek restaurant in Southampton. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that Blue Island was the 3rd rated restaurant in Southampton, definitely worth a try I thought. We booked a table on Friday night and arrived to a busy little restaurant. Lovely atmosphere, decor is plain but that really doesn't bother me and the staff were great. We were feeling greedy so ordered the Meze and maybe this was our mistake. The first few dishes were pitta bread and dips ; I suspect that the humous, tzatziki and taramasalata weren't homemade but hey they were tasty and just the first of many dishes. These were followed by stuffed vine leaves, meatballs, mushrooms in a red wine sauce, a Greek salad, halloumi, calamari and a couple of slices off smoked ham. I really wanted this food to be great but it wasn't I'm afraid, certainly not bad but just average. The mushrooms were lovely but the meatballs tasted like they were from a tin. We were getting really full now, which was a shame as there was still chicken souvlaki, pork souvlaki and an oven roasted lamb dish (kleftiko). These were definitely tastier but we ended up taking a lot of them home as we were so stuffed. So, the moral of this review is if you're going to have the meze don't fill up on the not so great dishes and wait for the meat dishes at the end. I wouldn't rule out going back to Blue Island but I will not have the meze again but will go for a main course from the normal menu.

2  Thank KateM76

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

The food was very good and the staff were very friendly. Good restaurant/ cafe (?) if you don't really care about the decor, if just the food and the atmosphere counts, then this is the right restaurant for you.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

From the moment we stepped into the restaurant we were greeted with smiling, friendly faces! Service was spot on, food was excellent and the value for money was brilliant! The owner and his wife were so lovely and we can't wait to celebrate my mums wedding reception there! Thank you so much - would highly recommend!!!!!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I decided to visit with family, based on the reviews read here on trip advisor. We each got the meze, which was just under £18 per person. Very surprised by the one star review given recently as we couldn't have been happier with the food and service! (And they are definitely NOT bought dips - haven't had tastier houmous anywhere!) We counted a total of 10 dishes, all adapted to the party size so as not to crowd the table with three lots of each dish! Dishes included pita and dips, stuffed vine leaves, meatballs and calamari, all very impressive and tasted great. The best part was being greeted by the owners like old friends upon arrival. One piece of important advice though; don't fill yourself up on the pita bread - there is so much more to come! And if you want to take away some remaining food, they packed up the last two dishes for us to take home!

1  Thank S S
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I visited the Blue Island with some work friends as we all love Greek food and it didn't sound too bad from the reviews. As we walked through the door, it was as though we had been transported to a little Greek restaurant on one of the islands! The fabulous smell of the traditionally cook food and the basic surroundings were like stepping back into the 80's and all those family holiday memories came flooding back! We all immediately agreed it felt very relaxed and we ordered our food with high expectations. We shared a starter of dips, grilled cheese and warm soft pita breads. There was plenty of it and none of us were disappointed. The main courses were a good size and my moussaka was the best I've ever eaten... even in Greece! It was lovely to see young families coming in to eat and I could see why people return time and time again. We had a great relaxed evening with excellent traditional food, which was good value for money. The staff were very helpful and not at all pushy. I will certainly be taking my family along soon. Only a very slight grumble... whilst I loved the rustic look downstairs, the upstairs toilets (although very clean) could all do with a little smartening up. But that would never put me off going and I highly recommend it.