“Calamari cooked to perfection!”
Review of Blue Island

Blue Island
Ranked #3 of 890 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Traditional English and Greek food. Breakfast, lunch, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights from 18:00 till 22:00 traditional Greek food (mezedes)
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I have passed this cafe/restaurant so many times without a second glance but when I needed a place to eat in the early evening, near to the Guildhall, and in a bit of a hurry between a rehearsal and a concert, I consulted trusty Trip Advisor and up popped "Blue Island". It's the sort of place after having been there, that you are torn between keeping it a secret and wanting to tell all your friends, because it is so good. My party of four all had "double starters" which worked out really well. The calamari were cooked to perfection in a light batter with a huge chunk of lemon, and the portions were very generous. Everyone really enjoyed their meal. Christina made us very welcome, and offerred us a complimentary Greek sweet afterwards. Credit and debit cards are not taken here, but this is a small price to pay for a gem of a restaurant. We will be back!

Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

We found this place online and thought we'd give it a try.However,when we found the place it was not what we thought it was going to be.It looked nothing more than a little cafe but how wrong can you be !
For a start,it is a little cafe by day but they also serve an authentic Greek menu.It is limited but it is damn good ! We had a lovely relaxed meal, chatting to the lovely Greek owner as he cooked our food from the open plan kitchen.
This was food with passion,everything Greek food is meant to be and we thoroughly enjoyed it.
By night this place is turned more bistro like and with a more extensive menu, and so we plan to return to try this out.
In a nutshell - simple, but super !!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

I had my birthday party at the Blue Island,in total 26 in our party,the owner/chef managed to cater for all of us,the food quality was excellent,portions were superb,service was brillant,with a smile. All people in my party,expressed how wonderful the food was.I will definitely be back.location wise,very central,to bars,buses.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

This place is a 'hole-in-the-wall' located near a University and Museum in Southampton. The place is clean, organized and owned/operated by a couple from Cyprus. They have some standard American/UK food to go along with the Greek choices. The menu is not large but sufficient and the service friendly. They do not take credit or debit cards as of this date (6/13)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

First of all i would like to start by saying that the food at this restaurant is unbelievably good.
this was the second time i am visiting this place and i am stunned with the quality and quantity of the food.

I took some friends last Saturday since they wanted some Greek-cypriot food and they left the place stunned. it was four of us (two couples). We had 4 mezes and drinks. The owner, Mr Sotiris who is an exceptional guy and chef, he welcomed us like they do in the traditional way in Cyprus together with his wife and staff. Very friendly people who make the whole environment of the restaurant very welcoming.

The food was amazing, exactly like they do it in Cyprus and plenty. Trust me you will not be hungry for the next day. Additionally, any left overs can be packed and taken home. The service is perfect, staff always smiling and there for your need.

We could not manage to eat all the food, regardless of how delicious it was, but we took the rest home. RECOMMEND THIS 10000000%, and the prices they charge are reasonably good. I haven't seen any other Greek or Cypriot restaurant in the UK to have such normal prices, All the other ones are charging ridiculously high prices trying to make their food look posh and expensive where in reality is not. i have visited Greece and Cyprus and trust me, the same food in the taverns costs a third of the UK price. So for any of you out there, font fall in the trap that just because it is Greek or Cypriot you have to pay 15 quit for a small piece of Moussaka or a fiver for Tzantziki.

Also, for those who wrote the bad comments, i would like to say that a Greek-Cypriot tavern is not for vegetarians or those who are on a diet. Of course they will be fat in the meet and it will be a bit greesy, thats the whole point of it.

Once again, i RECOMMEND this 100% and I am definitely going again!

Thank you Mr Sotiris and Mrs Chrisitina