“Great food and service”

Blue Island
Ranked #8 of 909 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional English and Greek food. Breakfast, lunch, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights from 18:00 till 22:00 traditional Greek food (mezedes)
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I recently organised my friend's 'Hen do' and she requested a meal here. I do not know Southampton and had not eaten here before, although my friend had a liked it. I phoned and spoke to the very friendly staff, who were accommodating to the Veggie and 'gluten free' members of group. We has a lovely meal, the service was great - the food in the Meze just kept coming! We spent a great evening here and all our group enjoyed the meal. Thanks for everything Christina and your team.

1  Thank skippyjo

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The service was absolutely fantastic and the food here is amazing and cooked to a good quality. My chief bridesmaid arranged it all with the manager and she made sure we were well looked after and we also got a bottle of wine on the house. This is the second time I've eaten here and I would recommend this to anyone. They had gone to a lot of trouble to decorate the table and walls which made it even more special. The Meze was plentiful and delicious and it was a firm favourite with all the girls. The food tasted just how Greek food should and reminded me of holidays in Greek Islands.

2  Thank TawnyOwl1974
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I happen to be in Southampton with time to kill and in need of an evening meal, whilst shopping in Ikea i googled the "best place to eat in Southampton" the trip advisor restaurant link appeared i saw the the #2 rank Blue Island was within walking distance, this seemed a good idea. having read some of the reviews i was not disappointed with the decor as it looked tired to me but that would not matter if what was said about the food was true. I asked the waitress for a table for one, i was accommodated right away, this was about 8pm on a Saturday night. i ordered from what seemed a fairly limited menu the blue island special chicken cooked on charcoal to really tender sounded delicious. I asked for a started as a side dish it was the yogurt with mint and garlic, the meal arrived fairly quickly i was surprised, as it was all supposed to be very fresh according to reviews.
The dish looked quite good the salad was very fresh the chips where cooked just about right, i could not tell if they where frozen or fresh potatoes, now the chicken was awful i was expecting some kind of succulent breast cooked in some special way as it was the house special, well the chicken was dry it seemed to be layers of thigh meat or wing hardly any succulent tender chicken i was expecting. Whilst eating i loaded up the reviews of this restaurant on my phone and read some more, i could not believe how over hyped this place is who are these people have they ever eaten out before. i really cant see how this restaurant can be ranked #2 in trip advisor. i duly paid my £15.50 for a starter a main dish and a diet coke, i did not leave a tip, and did not complain either not wanting to be confrontational, i just paid and left, never to return. As a comparison i had a meal in a Premier Inn hotel just a week before at Wembley it was one of the best meals i have had in ages. all for £22 including desert and a pint of beer, on this occasion i ended up wishing id spent my money in the near by Kentucky Fried Chicken.

3  Thank zoomman
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We were a large group mixed adults and children. The service is pretty poor, no offer of drinks at any time - had to constantly keep asking and were left to ask even when we got there. My boyfriend arrived late and he wasn't offered a drink all night! He shared my water (there is only tap available, I asked for sparkling but mineral or sparkling was not available...but full bottles of spirits are?!) The dips and pitta are nice, but nothing out of this world. I had the lamb which is really good however served with horrible greasey cafe chips and a tired salad. A veggie friend had baked feta dish which she couldn't eat. The feta used on the salads is not authentic Greek feta, it's plasticy flavourless catering feta. We were given baklava which was actaully undercooked and doughy - an un-pleasent change when i've made it a few times myself. All in all we wouldn't return.

3  Thank Blue_Ahoy
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Simon's scrumptious dolmades are worth waiting for! This lovely little taverna near Solent University is a firm favourite with locals who know where to find delicious, hearty, home-cooked Greek specialities. Don't miss the gorgeous hummous and taramosalata with hot pitta bread. My daughter would sell her mother for a plate of Simon's fresh calamari and Greek salad, with a huge plate of gorgeous olive-oil fried chips. You can just feel the pounds dropping off as you indulge in these Mediterranean delights, and you can feel smugly healthy as well as indulged. Well worth a visit, particularly for one of their Greek Nights which include dancing and a mezze feast. No cards, so be sure to have cash ready.

1  Thank Bookchickuk