“A little bit of Greek sunshine in chilly Southampton”
Review of Blue Island

Blue Island
Ranked #12 of 852 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Traditional English and Greek food. Breakfast, lunch, Thursday Friday and Saturday nights from 18:00 till 22:00 traditional Greek food (mezedes)
Fareham, United Kingdom
“A little bit of Greek sunshine in chilly Southampton”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Simon's scrumptious dolmades are worth waiting for! This lovely little taverna near Solent University is a firm favourite with locals who know where to find delicious, hearty, home-cooked Greek specialities. Don't miss the gorgeous hummous and taramosalata with hot pitta bread. My daughter would sell her mother for a plate of Simon's fresh calamari and Greek salad, with a huge plate of gorgeous olive-oil fried chips. You can just feel the pounds dropping off as you indulge in these Mediterranean delights, and you can feel smugly healthy as well as indulged. Well worth a visit, particularly for one of their Greek Nights which include dancing and a mezze feast. No cards, so be sure to have cash ready.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Bookchickuk

• Greek first
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Unpretentious cafe - good food”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Two of us had a very nice lunch in this cafe -for that is what it is and it doesn't pretend to be anything else. The waitress was friendly but unobtrusive. Our food was delicious: my lamb was so tender I could have eaten it with a spoon. Apparently, the place is much busier in the evening but the quiet lunch time suited us. We will go again.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank CatherineP186299
“Nice but not the best.”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Service wasn't great, took a while to serve my table even though it was quiet. The food is nice but not anything special; I've had better Greek meals. The front window could do with some kind of blind as walkers-by can stop and stare while you're eating.

Moussaka was off the menu on a Saturday night. I thought this was pretty poor.

We did get a nice complimentary sweet. Generally the service was nice, but slow.

1 Thank phil_spratt
England
“Traditional and tasty Greek food”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband and I went here last Friday night, and ordered the meze...

This included almost all the dishes from the menu, starting with homemade pitta bread and houmous, taramasalata and tzatziki, and following on with a variety of hot dishes and a Greek salad. Everything was fresh and delicious, and not at all oily (my past experience of Greek food in this country). If I were to go back I'd have to have the meze again, because each little bite was so phenomenal - but I'd go with more people.

The service was wonderful and friendly, the decor felt like we were actually in Greece (having both visited before) and the wine was tasty too.

The only issue was that there was far too much food!! We ended up taking some away in containers, which they kindly wrapped up for us, along with our complimentary baklava - which was very tasty the following day :)

Highly recommended.

2 Thank sunshine316
Southampton, United Kingdom
“First class n friendly”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We visited here for my husbands birthday. Very friendly and made us feel so welcome..The meze is amazing, make sure you are hungry! really can't fault this restaurant, if you are looking for excellent greek food with a fab atmosphere this is definately the place for you!

• Visited February 2013