“Distinctly Average - Beer Tastes Like Feet”

Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Typical Holiday Inn Express. Not the worst one of this chain I've stayed at. The building is quite new and modern. The bar areas, reception and restaurant are all fairly pleasant. The rooms are small and basic but clean.

Biggest gripe I have with these hotels are the poor quality beds, and this one was no exception. I had a double room, which had a very small, incredibly uncomfortable double bed. The mattresses just feel very cheap.

The heating/ventilation system in the room was poor. It consisted of a single electric wall mounted heater, no air-con (although that's not really a problem in January), which I find surprising for such a modern hotel.

The only other thing I found disappointing about this hotel was the quality of the draught beer. This is a bit of a theme with both standard and Express Holiday Inns. The beer (which is almost always either Stella or Becks Vier) tastes very watered down. To make matters worse, the beer at this particular hotel tasted like someone had bathed their sweaty feet in the keg.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Lee H
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay. Please accept our apologies that the Stella or Becks premium lagers we provide were not to your liking. Unfortunately as you did not mention anything during your stay, we were unable to replace your lager or address your concern at the time. Kindly note that all our beers served directly from barrels.

We are surprised by your feedback regarding our beds as all beds were replaced in the past 6 months with Hypnos beds, which company you may be aware have royal appointment.

We thank you for your positive feedback concerning our high standards of cleanliness and the stylish interior design of our restaurant and bar.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and to fully satisfy you on your next stay

Kind regards

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night before a cruise. It was in an easy to find location & was very quiet. The staff were efficient & friendly. The room clean, smelled fresh & the bed was comfortable. It was lovely to be able to eat in the hotels restaurant rather than have to go out again, especially after a long journey. The menu was limited & our steaks were rather chewy (at over £11 each, pricey for the quality) but, the meal was cooked fresh & was hot. The breakfast the following morning was included in the price & there was a good choice of foods, nice to see bacon as in other Holiday Inn Express we've only had sausage, scrambled egg & beans!! Thanks for a great overnight stay!! We'll definitely come again.

Room Tip: We chose the second floor & as the hotel was quiet there was no one above us "stamping"...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Culvey
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Thank you to all the staff that made us feel welcome. Myself and a friend decided to book in for a random evening to get away and have a laugh. I took my dog with me and the staff were very friendly. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was modern. Breakfast came included and was very nice. Thanks again!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matt L
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I often use this hotel on business trips and the staff are always attentive and provide excellent service. Rooms are clean and fresh. The restaurant has a good breakfast and evening meals that are reasonably priced and of good quality, but as a frequent visitor a change of the menu would not go amiss.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian M
Reviewed January 8, 2014

While on a business trip, I stayed at Holiday Inn for about a couple of weeks. The room, I stayed in, was very well kept and cleanliness, which I am very finicky about, was something I was impressed with. Comfort was surely there in the stay.

Food was not what I enjoyed though, there was hardly any variety in the breakfast. For all the 14-15 days, I ate the same breakfast; it was a huge put off for me. To add to it, post 8 AM, the eatery would be crowded very heavily. So you need to wake up early to have a peaceful breakfast.

I was very happy with the staff, both at the reception and at the serving area (bar/kitchen).

Holistically, I found Holiday Inn good enough to be considered again for a stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Ground Floor are good.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank saksenarohit
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have recently stayed for 4 nights due to a problem at our home. We chose this hotel because it is a half a mile from our house. The first 2 nights we booked in, we were on the second floor (room 212). I have to say it was warm, comfortable and quiet.
Due to the problem at our house not being fixed we then booked in for a further 2 nights. This time we were given a ground floor room (33) this was facing then road so was quit noisy. Although the room itself was as good as the other comfort wise.
There was coffee making facilities in the room along with a hair dryer and free wifi. The complimentary breakfast was good. You could chose from fried sausages bacon etc to fruit and yogurt, eating as much as you like.
The front desk was well manned and very polite and helpful.
Would i recommend it, absolutely yes.
Location wise is near the M27, but right next door to the Ageas Bowl (formally the Rose Bowl) cricket ground. They hold many events there including concerts so I would imagine will book fast during events.

Room Tip: Quiet rooms face inwards to the carpark.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Phil C
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed for one night on New Year's Eve. This was a last minute trip and found the hotel due to its great value for money. We are a family of 5 with 2 small children and I was amazed at how fabulous the staff were. They couldn't have been more polite or helpful. Nothing was too much trouble. The room was very comfortable with plenty of room for all of us. Breakfast was lovely and we ate in our room as the children were still in bed. I can not fault this hotel, but it was the staff that made our stay. We will be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013