“Ok, but way too hot”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Llangefni, United Kingdom
“Ok, but way too hot”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here before boarding the Oceana the following day. The room was nice and spacious, but awfully hot, with no air conditioning and no way of opening the window any more than a few inches. Otherwise, I have no complaint, the bar meal in the evening was lovely, as was the breakfast the following morning - all served by polite and pleasant staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Dear Repeat Guest

We very much appreciate your loyal custom and I apologise that you found our rooms hot during the exceptionally hot weather we experienced recently. I would like to recommend that you book one of our air conditioned rooms during your next stay.

We thank you very much for your lovely feedback about the enjoyment of your evening meal and breakfast and your recognition of the efforts of our lovely staff. We hope you had a lovely cruise and look forward to welcoming you en route to your next cruise.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Thai first
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel based on trip advisor reviews and would not recommend to anyone.

I booked a double room and was given two singles - that couldn't be pushed together. I had an early flight the next day and on return to reception explained this and that I wouldn't have booked knowing I would have two single beds. The lady on reception was quick to explain they were fully booked - no apology or empathy.

No free wi-fi in the hotel dispite being told on booking there was.

The room itself was very dated in terms of decor - maybe mid 90s? And looked tired and worn.

I've stayed in hotels recently for 15-20 cheaper than this hotel and they were worth double what this hotel offered me. Far overpriced for the level of service offered and what I thought I had booked.

Overall a very disappointing stay - will be looking for other chains for my future stays and not look to revisit a holiday inn express.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

After needing a extra night stay after busy day at Peppa pig world, im so glad I found this holiday inn! Great room, clean, tea coffee and kettle, ate in bar, lovely food and service, asked for a desert to have in room and they brought it up no hassle, extra towels again brought up, really happy to find another holiday inn thats great! Regularly stay with Holiday Inn and this ones recommended! £99 for room booked 4pm for that night, lil girl got a activity pack and balloon so was chuffed. Didnt have breakfast, looked good but cant comment on it. Will stay again when we're next down that way! Well done Holiday Inn - great example of why I choose you over other hotels!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mamma_k9
Dear Guest

We are very appreciative of your lovely feedback following your discovery of our hotel on your busy adventures in nearby Peppa Pig world .

We are very pleased you enjoyed your room and all its facilities and the standards of cleanliness so much. We also thank you for your recognition of the lovely restaurant meals we serve and the efforts of our team .

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future and thank you again for your wonderful review.

Regards
Reviewed August 22, 2013

First the good points:
Breakfast was tasty and was restocked quickly despite huge numbers of people making use of the facilities. Pleasant location with various fast food eateries nearby. The hotel very kindly allowed me a late check-out for no extra charge which was appreciated.

Now the bad points:
The room was too hot with no A/C. I understand that it's expensive to install and is probably on a long term plan but if you are thinking of going there in the summer, it's one to be aware of.
My shower tray drained really slowly leaving me paddling in soapy water and there was some clearly visible dust and hairs by the TV and clothes storage areas.

My biggest gripes however relate to the way I was made to feel by some of the policies of the hotel. I was initially telephoned the day before I was due to arrive to tell me that they hadn't been able to pre-authorise the card used to make the reservation. My concern around this is that if I decided to go somewhere else and cancelled my room within the allowed cancellation time, then a chunk of my money is not available to me because the hotel have reserved it. I was told that if I cancelled the booking, it would be released but I know from experience it can take up to a week to be released. The person I spoke to apologised for the policy and promised to make a note of it on my account.
On arrival at the hotel, the receptionist made a grudging acceptance that it happened but no further explanation or apology. Just another swipe of my card and more money pre-authorised.
Then I got to my room and its a plethora of notices warning me that if I do this, I will be charged, or if I do that, I will be charged. It felt more like a youth hostel than a hotel room.
If the hotel management have that much of a problem with thieving, smoking, or food throwing guests then perhaps they should be rethinking their clientele. I have to say from my observations of the other customers that they generally looked ok!

The only two friendly members of staff I saw on the night of my stay were both leaving! The following morning they were more friendly and smiling.

So there we go, the hotel is pleasant and comfortable enough, but the various warnings around my room tend to suggest a management more concerned with penalising guests than making their stay a pleasant one.

Room Tip: Check first to make sure you are getting an air-conditioned room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay

As you may be aware most hotels have a policy of pre authorising guest credit cards prior to arrival to ensure that valid credit card details have been provided and that there are sufficient funds available to pay for the hotel bill. This is normally only done on the day prior to arrival to allow guests flexibility should they prefer to amend their arrival date.

We thank you for your constructive feedback regarding these various points which have been addressed with the team to ensure that they benefit from your feedback.

We are delighted that you found our complimentary Hot Buffet Breakfast so enjoyable and that you found our location so convenient. We also appreciate your recognition of the efforts of the team in providing you with a late check out that you found of such good use.

Kind regards
West Midlands
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Stayed here 1 night, it's a nice clean hotel with polite staff I stayed with my partner and 3 year old daughter there was a double bed and a double sofa bed. We stayed so we could visit Peppa pig world which was only about 20 minutes away by car. We also visited the docks which was only about 20 minutes away by car worth a look good for the kids there's a park there and an icecream van and you can see the ferrys coming in and out. Plenty of restaurants over the road from the hotel McDonald's, Burger King, Pizza Hut etc we visited Pizza Hut was very nice. The only downfall with the hotel was breakfast wasn't much choice of hot food it was very busy and very hot people were sweating no air con and no windows open was a bit if a nightmare queuing in the heat with a miserable 3 year old.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

A pleasant stay with friendly helpful staff. The rooms spotless and quite spacious with tea/coffee making facilities available and hair dryer, towels and liquid soap supplied in ensuite.The breakfast was excellent but the choice of evening meal was very limited.Free large car park for guests but there could be an issue with parking if you get there late at night . It was rather noisy being school holidays, I would definitely stay again but pick the time of year more carefully and would take a supply of my own toiletries next time.A very busy hotel due to its prime location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
essex
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was a stay in southampton before our cruise.
This hotel is clean and spacious.
The family rooms are adaquate but the pull out beds are rock hard and the metal mechanism on the sides have very sharp edges and my 10 year old scrached her leg.
The breakfast is a bit of a free for all ,but nice choice of food cold and hot but no bacon.
The evening menu was a bit pricey as are the drinks but this is the norm for such places.
I do however have to point out that although pricey we found the food of a great standard and very tasty and hot .
My husband had steak and i had one of the best currys i have ever eaten.
very fresh in flavour and well presented.
5 mins drive from cruise terminal,and a tesco express garage with cash machine round the corner.
The staff were well presented and well mannerd.
I would definatly use this hotel again for our pre cruise stay in southampton.

The pool is actually for an additional fee and is off site.
Alot of late night distubance ,but this is a family hotel.

Room Tip: The family room have one double bed, and one pull out double.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family