“nice family room”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“nice family room”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

stayed in this room with my husband and two girls overnight to attend a wedding. The room was comfy if a bit small, bathroom a good size with a lovely shower. The fold out bed was enough for both my girls to sleep on. We had two firm pillows on the bed which I loved, enough room to hang our clothes for the wedding, the room was just a bit snug, but we only slept there so not really a problem for us. There was a breakfast included which we did not have time to eat. We phoned ahead and were able to check in a bit early, staff polite everything clean.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Thai first
Spalding, lincolnshire
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Modern hotel with good sized car park. Room was clean and functional, but a bit on the basic side, although, as we only paid £61 for the night for bed and breakfast we got exactly what we paid for. Did see that during the boat show rooms were over £100, which would have been more than they were worth. By and large the staff were friendly but not overly so, more going through the motions rather than going the extra mile. All in all okay, but if staying in the area again would see what else was on offer before booking here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
St Valerien
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I used this hotel to meet other family members who are smokers - Holiday Inns still provide smoking rooms!
Reception was efficient on checking in - room as we expected it to be for a budget hotel - bar prices a little on the high side - the food menu offers some choice but again pricey for was it is. No local restaurants unless you want to drive or taxi.
Breakfast adequate but layout of the breakfast area not very good so lots of queuing.
One final point - rooms do not have aircon so if they get hot it is necessary to open a window and as the hotel is very close to the M27 there can be lots of road noise.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear GaryTG,

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us. I am pleased you were satisfied with your experience at check in. I apologize for the issues you had with the food options and the lay out of the breakfast area as well as your room accommodation and the noise. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We hope to have another chance of hosting you should your travels bring you back to Southampton!

Karen C
IHGCare
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Mattress uncomfortable and sofa bed for the children really bad.old and feel the springs.awful breakfast.too hot in breakfast room, like a sauna. unorganised chaos for a poor breakfast.powdery tasting scrambled egg. no veggie bangers.toast like rubber.coffee and tea machines next to food so have to queue with other people who want food even if you just want a coffee.poor layout

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Claudia S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Claudia S,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,

Katie J
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I just had 3 nights at this hotel. First impression was a smart, clean and modern hotel. Checking in was fast and efficient. The room was a reasonable size with a functional modern bathroom. However it had clearly been used by smokers as it had that telltale fusty smell. The kettle didn't work but reception quickly sorted out a replacement. We did find the bed very uncomfortable and not conducive to a good nights sleep. The room however was very quiet. We'd booked the buffet breakfast but we did find this very disappointing. It seemed to be a cross between a continental breakfast and full English but didn't seem to meet the requirements of either. There was a good choice of cereals but only tinned peaches and mandarins for the fruit lovers. There were croissants and mini pain au chocolate plus toast but the hot breakfast options left a lot to be desired. Saturday and Sunday mornings there were sausages, beans and powdered scrambled eggs. That was it. There was bacon on the third morning but not sure what happened to it on the first two! Saturday and Sunday were clearly very busy in the hotel and it was a bit chaotic in the restaurant. Staff struggled to keep up with demand for plates, cutlery, food etc. The toast machine is badly placed at the end of the hot food and by the door to the kitchens. This not only creates hold ups but has the potential for accidents. We found we struggled to get an Internet connection on our phones even via 3G and we thought the hotel were capitalising on this by charging £3.50 an hour for Wi-fi. The other thing I was aggrieved about was the fact that I had had £50 extra taken from my account which I only noticed as I was checking my bank account part way through my trip. I realise this is part of holiday inn policy but its something I hadn't picked up on so I think reception staff should make this clear when checking in. Overall I found staff quite friendly and helpful, the hotel generally clean and modern but the rooms not to the standard I was expecting plus the food for me was below par.

• Stayed September 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear John P,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
IHGCare
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This hotel provides exactly what you would expect from this standard of hotel, a clean, comfortable and pleasant environment to rest your head at night. I stayed here for one night on business (May 15th) but arrived late evening and still found plenty of room to park, check-in was very efficient and within minutes I was in my room and relaxing. Breakfast was very satisfactory although the option to have fried eggs rather than scrambled would have been nice - however it set you up well for the day. Please note, if you are a cricket fan this hotel is right next to Hampshire cricket ground - very handy !

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Lowestoft
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I stayed here with colleagues for one night on a business trip. We arrived quite late (about 9pm) and were tired from a long journey. The rooms had all been pre-booked and paid for, yet check-in seemed to take ages. The chap on reception was cheerful though. We were pleasantly surprised to find the restauarant was still serving, so we rushed to our rooms to dump the bags and then returned to the restaurant. Have to say the menu didnt seem very inspiring (steak and ale pie with no extra vegetables and chicken breast with black pudding (huh?). However, I opted for the cheese burger with salad and chips and have to say it was superb. We could have done without the lady cleaning the tables around us with a spray which I can only assume was Detol (certainly smelt like it). Not exactly what you want when you're trying to eat. Also, by the time we had finished our main course, we asked if we could order dessert but were told the restaurant was closed! They could have told us that sooner. I had a double room on the second floor which was very comfy and spacious. The tea and coffee was well stocked. A choice of soft or firm pillows was nice. The bed was really comfy and I had a sepuerb nights sleep. The following morning, breakfast was the usual self-service extensive continental affair which some hot options (scrambled egg, sausage, bacon etc) I had criossants which were very nice indeed. Check out wasnt quite as slow as check-in, but seemed to take longer than necessary. Overall and excellent hotel, I would recommend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business