“Great Hotel, Brilliant Staff”

Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Tiverton
“Great Hotel, Brilliant Staff”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, which is situated next to the Rose Bowl, cricket ground. I went with my wife and two Grandchildren. The Hotel, which is quite big, was full to capacity. All I can say is that they operate a very slick operation, with friendly, welcoming staff throughout.
The check in was easy, the bedroom was excellent and the way that they catered for all the guests was simply amazing!!
I would highly recommend this Hotel, if you are looking for reasonable accommodation, in and around Southampton. Thank you to all the staff for a great stay and well done!!

1 Thank LuisGordon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Thai first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2011

Clean and comfortable, rooms small but well thought out. We were, on the whole, satisfied with our stay here and the location is extremely convenient. In terms of room, cleanliness and overall hotel appearance, a very big step up from standards at other budget brands such as Travelodge. On the negative side: (a) no mobile phone reception and extremely high rates for Internet access (the hotel is right by the motorway and mobile reception is fine in the car park so do they block it in the hotel to get extra revenue?) (b) car park often full by early evening (c) we thought that the service was unfriendly to say the least, by way of example, not once at breakfast did anyone come and help us push tables together to accommodate the whole family and in one instance we requested the tables be cleared from the person before us and the member of staff, while doing what we asked, did not say one word to us and appeared upset by us asking him to do something - this compares very poorly to Premier Inn where their service is always excellent and with a smile! Breakfast itself was handy to have available and we were very pleased that it was included in the room rate but food quality perhaps unsurprisingly could be improved. On balance, value for money for a nice hotel but room for improvement.

Oxford, England
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The hotel is well located, clean and modern.

I made my reservation using Priority Club points, guaranteed the booking with the Mastercard linked to my account and presented my membership card on arrival.

The hotel wanted to swipe my credit card but I only had cash with me. I asked them to authorise the card linked to my account but they refused unless I could show it to them.

I was told to pay a £50 deposit or be refused a room, even though payment was guaranteed from Priority Club.

The following day during check out, my £50 deposit was witheld until the receptionist had visited my room.

When I asked why a room check was necessary I was told a window had been broken by a previous guest and the hotel's owners (Meridien Leisure) now insist on a room check if a guest pays a cash deposit.

I found this strange because I have been a Platinum member with Priority Club for 12 years and the hotel have access to my account.

My advice is simple, if you want years of loyalty rewarded with trust, you will not find it here. Stay somewhere else.

Thankfully this experience is not typical of other IHG properties.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Lucky_Oxford
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, July 25, 2011
Dear Guest
Many thanks for your review. Please accept my apologies that you were in any way inconvenienced as a result of the receptionist clearly not advising you of the reason we require a credit card to be presented personally at time of arrival for all guests.
I would like to explain that this relates to tightened Merchant Services requirements which do not permit hotels to charge a credit card unless the card has been physically presented and the pin code inserted on the pdq terminal. We only require authorisations to ensure that our guests are able to freely consume any beverages, meals or utilise the internet during their stay without having to ask for them to pay at the time of each service. Unfortunately what you may not be aware is that we do not have access to Platinum or any Priority Club credit card details so accordingly we are required to request a credit card authorisation from all our valued customers such as yourself.
I am very pleased to note you are staying at our hotel again this evening and have further bookings and we look forward to being of continued service to you
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Good location, plenty of eateries and supermarkets nearby. Modern, bright, clean rooms although a little warm as no air con except in public areas. Helpful, friendly staff and a lovely breakfast selection.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear Valued Guest

Our sincere thanks to you for your wonderful review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay so much.

For future reference, we recommend you reserve one of our air conditioned rooms as we do offer an entire wing of air conditioned accommodation

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Stayed for two nights, had iniitally only booked one night, as we were attending a wedding in the Gosport area. However, we wanted to visit the Isle of Wight, so decided to stay an additional night. Rooms were spacious and comfortable, and easily accomodated three adults in our party. Great breakfast, swift efficient service, and all staff helpful and friendly. Overall, a great experience, would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: No problem booking a room for three adults, good price band too.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2011

Staff helpfull. Hotel cheap and very good value for money.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
dublin ireland
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Put in a request when booking for a quiet room....We were kept awake by traffic passing by our window all night...I spoke to a female receptionist on Thursday evening and made my complaint and was assured that this room was considered quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!The window needed to be left open at all times due to the heat and there was no evidence of air conditioning...I was told that she would leave a message for the manager on Friday.We returned to the hotel very late Friday evening and the very pleasant night porter knew nothing about a room change...I found the front desk staff very combatative .We stay in this hotel chain throughout the USA and never have we had a complaint..

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, Good luck.....
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
CBB99, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Southampton M27 Jct 7, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review. I apologise that you were not entirely happy during your stay. I was surprised to have read some of your comments as you will recall that 2 days after you checked in, you called reception late in the evening to advise that you wanted to move rooms as you felt the traffic from the one off event at the Rose Bowl was disturbing you. The receptionist did advise that as the hotel was full that evening, nothing could be done about moving you, but if you felt you still wanted to move in the morning, she asked if you could please bring your bags to reception, and as soon as an alternate room was available, she would be happy to arrange for you to be moved to an alternate room and your bags moved whilst you were at work. As you did not come to the reception the following morning or bring your bags, it was assumed you no longer wanted to change rooms. As you will appreciate, asking to move rooms late at night as you then tried to do later that evening on your return to the hotel, is not something that can be accommodated midweek when the hotel is full.
Set in 3 acres of landscaped grounds, the hotel is known for providing peaceful accommodation for our numerous repeat guests so I apologise if you did not find this to be the case. If you are returning in the future, we do have a large block of air conditioned rooms so I recommend you specifically request one of these rooms.
I thank you for your commendation on the Night Manager