“Incredible!”

Dining options: Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Incredible!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Being my first visit to this restaurant, I was excited about visiting as I had heard very good things and I was certainly not disappointed! We felt incredibly accommodated and made welcome by the Maitre D and the waiting staff, and we felt that they attended to our every need.
The food certainly exceeded its reputation! We had the 7 course taster menu, which was fantastic value for money. The amuse-bouche of tomato essence and basil oil was fresh and mouthwatering. The summer vegetable salad with Earl Grey Buttermilk and truffles had an incredible variety of flavours, all of which complemented each other perfectly. My starter of Crab Ravioli with a Lobster bisque and lemongrass was light and cooked perfectly. My highlight of the meal was the lamb main course, with an intense mix of slow cooked shoulder croquette and best end of lamb was surprisingly light but an outstanding world of flavours.
The pre dessert was a gorgeous cocoa nib creme brule, and the lemon tart was deliciously zingy and the sweet blackcurrant sorbet a perfect combination. Our wines perfectly complimented the meal, we had a wonderful experience, and we rolled out of the restaurant satiated and raring to come back! Don't miss this restaurant...!

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Bethany B

Southsea
“Lovely food in a beautiful setting”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We went here for Sunday lunch and the food was fabulous. Three courses were only £17.95 which I thought was excellent value. My souffle starter was sublime and my lemon dessert was outstanding, the roast beef I had for my main course was also very good. The restaurant is lovely and our waiter (Portuguese I gather) was quietly efficient. This has to be the best bet for Sunday lunch for miles around and the view of the Vineyard is very pretty.

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank SuperFurryAnimal
Hampshire UK
“Outstanding”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were familiar with this restaurant in it's previous guise (Vatica) and heard that it had re-opened under a new name, so could resist trying it.

And were we pleased we did. Absolutely top class food from a very accomplished chef, and for a very reasonable fixed price of £35 per head for a 3 course meal.

The premises is pretty much as it was, with great views of the vineyard.

Between us we had a good spread of dish choices (from a menu where we agreed we could have chosen all of it), and the scallop starter and duck main courses coming out as close winners. But all the dishes were as good as we have had anywhere - superb food.

Service was perhaps a little "stiff" and formal but the restaurant has only been open for 5 weeks and we are sure will improve even further.

Could not recommend highly enough

• Visited May 2012
3 Thank Kevin1958
Hambledon, United Kingdom
“Exciting new restaurant - definitely one to watch”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

As very regular visitors to Vatika, the previous restaurant on this site which closed in 2011, we were pleased to hear that Wickham Vineyard had plans to open a new restaurant on the premises, focusing on local produce and showcasing both their own wines and those of their French sister vineyard.

The Vineyard Restaurant opened on a low-key basis in April and I think they're currrently bedding in the new team before ramping up the publicity. We went on a Friday night and there were 3 other couples there, all very happy with their meal as far as we could tell - but that's why I've only put Average for Atmosphere - hope to be able to raise this score when we next visit and it's a bit more lively.

The service was friendly and efficient with a good balance of attentiveness to hanging back to let us enjoy our food. The food was also very good - as one would hope with the Head Chef hailing from the kitchen of Le Manoir and his sous having trained at JSW. The quality of the ingredients was excellent - fresh and tasty and very attractive on the plate, and we look forward to seeing how the flavours on offer deepen as the chefs develop their own signature styles. A definite high point of the meal was my dessert, the custard panna cotta with rhubarb mousse, rhubarb and custard ice cream - both playful (order it and see what I mean!) and delicious.

Good value as well with a 3-course dinner for two costing £70 (we spent another £30 on wine between us - they have a good selection of wines by the glass & bottle).

So if you like good quality food and service without a stuffy 'fine dining' vibe then I definitely recommend checking out the Vineyard - I'm already looking forward to our next visit.

• Visited April 2012