“Amazing school trip”
Review of SeaCity Museum

SeaCity Museum
Ranked #6 of 130 things to do in Southampton
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We took 90 8 and 9 year olds on a school trip and were really well catered for and had an awesome day. They loved the Titanic topic at school and were really excited to learn more. Thanks Sea City.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,151)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Went to the museum with high expectations, however left completely underwhelmed. There is very little to see or do. The whole museum took less than 1 1/2hrs all in! There are very few artefacts here and looks like most of the 15m has been spent on the decor!

I enjoyed what I saw in the Titanic area, but it seems that they have focused so much on the 'customer experience' they have lost focus in what the museum is all about!

The rest of the museum is extremely poor - looks nice though.

I also went into the special gallery for the Titanic experience. Wow...I'm glad I got in for free!

Looks nice but if your looking for a serious experience I would avoid it! If your just looking for something to do with the kids then i think they will propably enjoy it more than I did as there are lots of buttons to press and things to open.

1  Thank Bcbob1969
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Other reviews said there was not enough other marine history This is probably true, but I went for the Titanic exhibit and enjoyed it. Even some hands on exhibits that were fun (I did the steering simulator and made it into port OK (probably luck - but it was fun

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We enjoyed our visit here - especially the Titanic section . I thought that it had something for every age and I would certainly recommend it to other people. The interactive nature of the exhibition made it great for children but equally good fun for adults. Staff were very friendly and helpful too. Good value for money. The toilets were in the old prison cells - very modern but they had retained the character of the building too.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 17, 2013

My husband and I visited on a cold spring day; he'd wanted to take me to the Maritime Museum, which he'd really enjoyed visiting some years ago.

We were advised (quite rightly) to visit the upstairs section first, which has general historic information about ancient Southampton - all very interesting, though too child-oriented for our liking - some of the interactive exhibits were really hammy in their presentation. But it was interesting.

In the maritime section there is a very impressive model of the Queen Mary - a fabulous model, but there's a great deal of material that used to be on exhibit that's just been (we optimistically assume) left in store-rooms, presumably at the (now closed to the public) Wool House. What a great shame. The old museum was a real delight to visit, with lots of artefacts. This new museum is well-presented, and there is some interesting material, but it misses the old experience of museums, which revolved around having a great deal of things to look at, even if it wasn't always as well labelled/researched.

The Titanic exhibition is very well done, we think. There's plenty of material that will give thoughtful people pause to consider the real lives and the real situation of this tragedy. Yes, as others have said, there's a lot of material here that's reproduction, but it does give a good feel. We particularly liked the use of the old court room for the legal investigation, which was very interesting. But there was no context provided for the room itself! What a shame - it makes it seem as though the room was just created as part of the exhibition.

The 'Titanic - The Legend' exhibition was good. Although it takes up a lot of space, and there's a lot of non-Southampton material, it does show well how much this story has taken the world's imagination, from Hollywood to a Nazi propaganda film - and the plethora of Titanic merchandise. We enjoyed it.

Value for money? Well, at £8.50 each it's a bit steep, we think. We went round in about 90 minutes.

Overall, we thought it was ok - but it could have been much, much better. There's a movement in museums that reduces the material on display, presumably in order to tell its story better. This is good in one way, but it robs the museum visitor of a great deal. It's okay for specialist exhibitions, but we ought to be able to see the bulk of the museum's material - that's what makes it so interesting to visit. The curators of this ought to visit the British Museum (which is free to visit) and learn a thing or two about what makes a truly interesting and memorable museum experience.