“excellent”

29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“excellent”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We took our 10 year old as she was doing a school project on the titanic.
She absolutely loved it - it was so fascinating - tooks us 3 hours to go around as well

Lots of interactive displays kept her enthralled - having a go at guiding the ship thro to the channel by use of the mock ships wheel - stoking up the coal - using morse code
choosing who to put in the lifeboats etc..

the use of the old court room was also a good way of showing us how the inquiry worked by visual films and of course the survivors acounts - also emotive watching mock up films and
of the ship sinking

Extra room had history of soton with its many different immigrants stories - fascinating

The effects and bad ground sounds were superb and certainly beats google any time

There is also a good cafe which serves up excellent fresh tasting food

The admission price of £8 and £6 was well worth it

• Polish first
forest of dean
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Titanic museum great trip out.”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We visited the seacity museum in our half term as my 9 year old is fascinated by everything Titanic.Both my children age 14 and 9 years old found plenty to keep them interested and entertained.I even learnt a thing or 2 in the court room.We all found the accounts of the survivors very very moving,you could picture the atmosphere of what the survivors went through.It took us nearly 3 hours to get around everything.Well worth a visit very glad we went.

Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Don't waste your money or time”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Seriously, total waste of time and money. Absolute rubbish. Kids bored, Hardley anything worth seeing. It would be much better to google titanic and Southampton as the place is just like a brief web browsing session. Dull, dull, dull.

3 Thank Ben H
Southampton UK
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Is Southampton on the mend?”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was born in Southampton about 47 years after the Titanic and have lived there on and off ever since, my latest stint is 14 years and counting. I have gone from being a proud resident when extolling its virtues to fellow undergrads in the 1980s to a huge critic of the unending developments of flats and lacklustre use of the waterfront. When some friends suggested visiting this museum with 'you'll really like it' I had a heavy heart.

However I have to report that for me it was absolutely brilliant and my wife and our friends agreed. I am truly shocked that some people on here rate it at 1 star, I dread to think how they would rate Bletchley Park - the curators of which could do worse than come and have a look here.

The Titanic part is very nicely laid out, and you basically follow the lives of 5 or 6 crew and passengers through from boarding to the disaster - I was saddened to see someone with the same name as me perished, I wonder if he was a relative.

Hitting the iceberg could have been done in a very tacky way instead it is sombre and rather moving with survivors' comments played out to the audience. I think best of all is the Public Enquiry aptly set in the old Southampton courtroom.

There is enough interactive stuff for children and adults alike - I think the whole thing is really well laid out, clear and concise with very very little IMT present. I M T is Irrelevant Museum Tat which is a blight on many museums - particularly Bletchley Park.

The other exhibit about Southampton's past is very good too and well worth a visit, the changing map display is wonderful yet sad as one can see the encroachment of the countryside as Southampton sprawls ever outwards.

Also make sure you go and see the Special Exhibition which is a homage to tat to do with the Titanic and see how many people have made such rubbish to profit from the misfortunes of others - this is organised tat and is interesting.

With a double ticket we also went to Tudor House, well worth a look too.

I was left with a feeling that Southampton may not be as bad as I thought despite the tumour that is West Quay and some disgusting post war architecture. Nothing that a bulldozer and a new tram system couldn't cure.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fairly Good but Could be better”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Visited the museum for the Titanic exhibition as my 6yr old is studying it at School. Entrance is fairly expensive but got a free child voucher from the Visit Hampshire website which made it ok.
The kids loved the hands on elements of both the Titanic Story (especially the dressing up and stoking the boilers) and the Gateway but I thought there could have been more info about the history of Shipping in Southampton. The Titanic exhibition focuses mostly on the human element which is not a bad thing but I would have liked more information on the technical side.The gift shop was fairly poor - my son wanted a model of the Titanic but there was only some overpriced fairly inaccurate ornament type ones. For him to want nothing in a gift shop says it all really. The toilets on the ground floor in the old police cells are an interesting feature. Allow 2-3hrs for a visit.