“Interesting to compare with Jewels”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bitterne Balti

Bitterne Balti
Ranked #105 of 846 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Southampton UK
“Interesting to compare with Jewels”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I saw this place had whizzed up the Southampton Hit Parade so thought we'd give it a go for a family night out. We've been to Jewels a few times so a comparison would be interesting. If you don't like the loud and brash nature of Jewels then come here, it is quiet, you can hear yourself talk relatively peaceful - that's not to say boring at all, just a nice ambience - nicely lit (and the colours stay the same). Service was exceptionally good, the guy who served the food was probably the most polite person I have been served by in an indian. I think the food for me was better than Jewels. My wife and I both had dishes from the chef's specials and they did not taste like the 'all curries taste the same' dishes. Peshwari Naan was good too. Prices were very decent, in fact I was a bit shocked to notice it was cheaper to drink in here than some pubs I could name!

All in all very good and would certainly recommend and most likely return at some stage. Well done to the front of house staff and the chefs, a very enjoyable evening.

2 Thank C4LWX

southampton
“A refreshing change”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have recently started using The Bitterne Balti for take away meals and found them to be of good quality and taste .Very resonably priced and a refreshing change from our tired old curry house we used to use.

Visited February 2013
“Lovely food”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Went here in January didn't book a table but managed to get one, the staff were courteous and attentive, food was lovely and so pleased we got in because after that the place was packed, good prices and can vouch for their takeaway service as well, def go back.

• Visited January 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“At Last - a really good Indian Restaurent (and on the doorstep)”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have walk passed the door of this restaurent and never really noticed it. Last weekend We tried it (almost in desperation) as it was Saturday night we had attended a function that we believe were serving food but didn't and we were hungry.

Over ther past 20 odd years my wife and I have tried almost every Indian Restaurent in the Southampton area and this , in my opinion, is the best. The dishes contain fresh ingediants even the Bhindi (Okra) not tinned or frozen and the chicken hadn't been injected with water which gives that strange sloppy texture. Each dish is individually delicately spiced (unlike some restaurents when everything tastes the same only the basic ingredient and the strength of
heat changes). All this within half a mile from home - what more could you ask.

Portion sizes are good and the prices, including drinks, are competitive.

Don't be put off by it being out of the centre of town - it is really worth the trip!

2 Thank Graham S
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great food and atmosphere”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been going to the Bitterne Balti for years and it has been constantly great. The food is superb and the staff are very friendly. My kids love it too and are made very welcome.
Highly recommended for any occasion