“what a burger !”

Ranked #22 of 889 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Craft beer, real ale and cider. 200+ spirits. Best Gourmet burgers in Southampton, Street food. Vegan and gluten free wizardry. 2 beer gardens. Monthly events & tap takeovers. 2 for £22 Burger Night every Monday and Tuesday 17.00 to 21.30. Student Wednesdays every Wednesday. Rock the Stone drink deals and alternative / rock / metal music Friday and Saturday 21.00 till late. Food is served between 12.00-21.30 Mon-Sat, 12.00-21.00 Sun. Booking is advised, especially at weekends and match days. Well behaved dogs are welcome at The Rockstone provided they are kept on a lead and off the furniture. Children and under-18s welcome 12.00-20.00 and later provided they are with an adult. Please contact us if you have any special dietary requirements or other queries as we are happy to accommodate your requests.
Reviewed May 5, 2014

good value, fresh cooked proper burgers, I could not eat the burger bun- this is a BIG meal ! went here with a few friends from work we had such a good night I normally choose vege or fish, but I had heard so much about the beef burgers I just had to have one. Great pub atmosphere, great bluegrass music, very busy on a Saturday night, a compact pub I loved it. Look forward to going again soon
This is not a romantic restaurant it is a good old fashioned pub ,run very well with proper food drink & music.

1  Thank KAREN B

Reviewed May 5, 2014

Had high expectations for The Rockstone and the food did not disappoint! I had the BBC Burger (brie, bacon & cranberry topped beef burger) which was to die for and opted for sweet potato fries. I also had the vegetable crisps with dips. The staff were friendly and the pub was extremely busy, yet our meals were served within 10/15 minutes of ordering them.

It cost £2 to change from normal fries to sweet potato fries. I think this is slightly expensive seeing as my burger was already £14.50. My meal was nearly £24 for one person, so students might be put off by the price! Also, there was a dog wandering around which I thought was strange and the carpet had lot's of dog hairs on it!

Most importantly, the food was delicious and I will return. It's the best pub food I've ever tasted.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had heard a lot about this place and its reputation for great burgers so after two years finally got around to a visit. We were really impressed, friendly staff, great selection of beers, wine and my favorite.... cider!

We were told that being a bank holiday there was a 45 minute wait on the food. My husband and I both had ordered the burgers, classic and black and blue and boy was it worth the wait as they were both huge and delicious.

We will definitely be back, probably with our dog but not during term time as it is a very popular student destination.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

First food, both the burgers and ale are good, 7/10 stuff. If you want OK massive burgers then this is the place for you. And you'd better like dogs. A small wolf sized alsatian who clearly thinks he is more important than the customers will push under your table, stick his head in your crotch, push your arms in an assertive way and stick his head right up to your plate. I asked for him to be moved but the staff weren't interested because its "his" pub. I've read the same sentiment from the owners responses to other complaints on tripadvisor too. They were packed out so I guess they can treat people how they like but I won't be going back.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Went to the Rockstone with high expectations from trip advisor reviews.It was for a birthday meal with friends (7) and had a pretty bad experience it must be said.
On arrival i spotted a basket of beautiful looking spicy chicken wings that someone was tucking into at the bar, and could not wait to get my order in!
After a long wait , which was expected as freshly cooked food takes time, and several rounds of drinks, out came the wings. I offered them around and we tucked in. after i had taken two bites someone said "Yuuuck its not cooked !". It certainly looked cooked on the outside but on the bone it was red, not pink, RED! No-body ate them, and i put them to one side to tell our waitress discretely later. The place had got really busy by this time and it was not proving easy to get her attention. I only managed to tell her when she bought out the main courses, she apologized and offered to replace them. i said not to worry as we had all got our food now.
I had ordered a Rump steak meduim rare, when i looked at it on the plate i immediately knew it was overdone. I cut it in half and sure enough it was well done. I pointed this out to the waitress and she said that she could change it, again i said dont worry, as i did not want to eat alone and i was really hungry as my wings were raw! Well i wish i had as it was tough too. I ate half and then scavenged off my friends. I got to taste a bit of everything and have to say none of it was great, with the exception of the double rack of ribs from the tex-mex special board, which were fab. We all drank loads and i managed to talk 5 of our group into a naga chilli vodka shot which was hilarious! After everyone had finished the waitress did not come back to clear the table, so after a very long time we cleared it ourselves and piled some of it on the end of the bar. The bill came out at £450, which we paid but left no tip.
We all had a good time but not because of the food. Poor effort, I would not recommend this place, and certainly not value for money.

1  Thank Frybe
JeffSheriff, Owner at The Rockstone, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2014

Dear Frybe,

I'm terribly sorry you had a bad experience, we try our best at all times at The Rockstone, and I'm sorry we didn't get around to clearing your table in time.

We did offer to replace the food, as you say, but you didn't have time to eat it, but we tried!

As for the chicken wings, red bones do not mean raw chicken, If the bone was red, not pink, red, it just means the chicken had been frozen. Sometimes our wings come in frozen, depending on the level of demand the butcher has had to deal with, but we use fresh as often as we can!

Also, Myoglobin. A concentration of a protein that carries blood to the chicken muscles, causes the meat to appear dark pink, even if the bird is fully cooked. Young birds are particularly susceptible to myoglobin.

This is a fairly common occurrence and not a cause for worry. While it may be visually unappealing, it's not harmful in any way.

Glad you enjoyed the Chilli Vodka, but I am really sorry about the food, I assure you it's not the norm, we are extremely proud of our food and service, which has led to us being as busy as you mentioned!

We're trying to deal with it as best we can!

Take care, and have a lovely Bank Holiday!

Max