“Best burger in southampton”
Review of The Rockstone

The Rockstone
Ranked #23 of 885 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Craft beer, real ale and cider. 200+ spirits. Best Gourmet burgers in Southampton, Street food. Vegan and gluten free wizardry. 2 beer gardens. Monthly events & tap takeovers. 2 for £22 Burger Night every Monday and Tuesday 17.00 to 21.30. Student Wednesdays every Wednesday. Rock the Stone drink deals and alternative / rock / metal music Friday and Saturday 21.00 till late. Food is served between 12.00-21.30 Mon-Sat, 12.00-21.00 Sun. Booking is advised, especially at weekends and match days. Well behaved dogs are welcome at The Rockstone provided they are kept on a lead and off the furniture. Children and under-18s welcome 12.00-20.00 and later provided they are with an adult. Please contact us if you have any special dietary requirements or other queries as we are happy to accommodate your requests.
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Came here for my birthday for the second time and although the pub was quite busy and we had to wait the atmosphere was very welcoming, it was nice to know that if we were having a good time it was rockstone policy to allow us to stay as long as we wanted. The decor was very unique and seemed authentic. The bar staff were very helpful and drinks were of a good quality and reasonable price. The food was absolutely exquisite I can't recommend it enough, 15 for the best burger I have ever had (and almost as big as my head) coupled with onion rings , and if you don't upgrade to sweet potato fries then you haven't lived. After one visit to the Rockstone I will definitely be returning,they make you feel like part of the family!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

So many people have recommended this pub to me, and I was really quite gutted that I didn't enjoy it here! We tried to reserve a table for my friend's birthday but we're told it was quite busy so to come in and have a drink to see what they could do. The barman we spoke to was lovely but didn't really help us out at all, he seemed unsure about what he was talking about and didn't offer us anyone else to talk to, to try and get a table. He vaguely said something about not turning tables over and people were allowed to sit and drink at dining tables so we just had to wait, apparently an indefinite amount of time because not much else was said on the matter. I thought this policy was a bit bizarre, effectively losing a table of 6 all ordering drinks, starters and mains for the sake of not getting out from behind the bar to see if we could be seated or give us an idea of waiting time. In the end we went rogue, and some kind diners let us perch on the end of their table of 8 (there was only 3 of them?!) which they had reserved.

So the food arrived and I was desperate to try 'Southampton's best burger' as my friends had told me, and it wasn't even in the sourdough bun the menu and website said it comes with, so I left the bun! The goats cheese was cold on top of the burger, no efforts made to melt it at all, and the £2 extra I paid for bacon, came in the form of ONE rasher?! The onion rings were delicious, though it was a shame they came out late as they'd been forgotten, and that you pay £4.50 for just a handful.. All that aside the sweet potato fries were gorgeous and I left the place very full.

I thought it was slightly over-priced for what it is, as I couldn't say other than a new lick of paint the place has been 'refurbished' as said on the website. A member of my group got stuck to the sticky old benches, it was out-dated, cramped and smelly. And if you don't like dogs in and around you whilst you eat then I wouldn't recommend going.

1  Thank holidayaddict083
JeffSheriff, Owner at The Rockstone, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Dear Holiday Addict,

Hope you are well!

I am sorry you had a bad time at the weekend!

We have a lot of new staff at the moment, which is probably what led to the barman's hesitance, but at least he was nice right!?!

Unfortunately, we are booked up 2-3weeks in advance at the weekend, and we only have 4 tables that seat six, so if these were in use, there wasn't much that can be done anyway, as we can't push tables together due to them blocking fire exits, in accordance with the law.

As for the buns, I am really sorry about that but our supplier occasionally has difficulty keeping up with our demand, so had to provide a replacement bun.

I will talk to the kitchen about the cold goats' cheese though, as that is definitely not supposed to happen, you should have said! We have a grill and a blowtorch for just that reason!

I have put some pictures in the "photos" section so you can see what the place was like before the refurb. Given that I had to sell my house and car to afford the refurb, I take offence to the "just had a lick of paint" sentiment.

We had new walls, new ceiling, new bar, new floor, new fire place, new ladies toilets, new kitchen, new gardens (front and back), new lighting, new sound system, new seating, new booth seats, new bay window seating, 16 CCTV cameras, 8 fire doors, new tables and new chairs for example.

If it is cramped and smelly, it's usually from people booking for 6 people, and turning up with 8, or booking for 8 and turning up with 14 (it happens 2-3 times a week) and if it's smelly well....it's a busy pub, full of people, mostly eating red meat....

I can't for the life of me imagine how one of you became "stuck" to one of our benches, two of which are leather, and the other 4 fabric....I just don't know how you managed it.

The £2.00 charge for extra ingredients is to cover our costs of adding them. For example, when you add Blue Cheese, or Goat's Cheese it costs US money to put it on your burger, so it all evens out.

The “Handful” of onion rings is 11 huge beer battered onion rings that fill up a 16oz bowl by the way....A meal in itself.

To anyone reading this, PLEASE book in advance, ESPECIALLY if it's for an important occasion, if you just turn up you will in all likelihood, not be seated unless it's gone 20.30ish at night.

Leaving an answerphone message doesn't count as a booking, writing on the facebook wall doesn't count as a booking, texting me doesn't count as a booking, ringing and not being able to get through so coming anyway doesn't count as a booking.

Please ring, and talk to a member of staff and have your booking confirmed, or email and GET A CONFIRMATION email, then that will count as a booking.

Yes I own a six month old husky/german shepherd puppy. (See photos)

We are "a country pub in the centre of town" and we have a dog. Many other dog-owners come here because we allow dogs and children, it's part of the appeal.

I live in the pub, which is a family business and Duke is very much a part of my family, he lives here with me.

He may wander behind the bar as the entrance to my flat, and by extension, his bed, is behind the bar. He is absolutely BANNED from the kitchen, and is very well trained to know not to set foot near the threshold of such.

Remember you are in his territory, so please be courteous.

Of course, if you have a problem with him, please inform a member of staff and we will put him to bed.

Here at the Rockstone we encourage our furry friends to attend, indeed we own our own!

Please be respectful of others people's pets and don't force us to lock them away.

Please bear in mind that we have a dog, and so do many of our customers. In fact, on any night there may be as many as 4 dogs in the pub.

Please bear this in mind when making your booking.

Thank you for your time.

Max

X

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Great sized portions in this surprising pub! The volcano burger was hot as described and the rest of the meal was really tasty. Attentive staff and dog friendly all added to an enjoyable Sunday night out.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I've been there a few times and always have had a nice time. The first time, I had a vegetariran burger, which I couldn't finish! The portions are huge! After this experience I decided to try something else, and had a butternut squash filled with roasted veggies. A very big portion, very well cooked and nicely presented.
Staff is very welcoming and the atmosphere always great. the place gets really busy at night so make sure to book a table before hand!

Make sure to try their sweet potato fries!

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

Just as I was beginning to give up hope of a perfect pub lunch. .. I found this place. Thee most amazing food... vast, imaginative choice and superbly cooked. A true taste sensation and a fab atmosphere. Will be back .... and we loved the adorable dog!!