“Awesome people and awesome food.”
Review of The Rockstone

The Rockstone
Ranked #21 of 887 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Craft beer, real ale and cider. 200+ spirits. Best Gourmet burgers in Southampton, Street food. Vegan and gluten free wizardry. 2 beer gardens. Monthly events & tap takeovers. 2 for £22 Burger Night every Monday and Tuesday 17.00 to 21.30. Student Wednesdays every Wednesday. Rock the Stone drink deals and alternative / rock / metal music Friday and Saturday 21.00 till late. Food is served between 12.00-21.30 Mon-Sat, 12.00-21.00 Sun. Booking is advised, especially at weekends and match days. Well behaved dogs are welcome at The Rockstone provided they are kept on a lead and off the furniture. Children and under-18s welcome 12.00-20.00 and later provided they are with an adult. Please contact us if you have any special dietary requirements or other queries as we are happy to accommodate your requests.
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Omg this is with out doubt the best rib eye steak I have ever had.
The people here are the most friendly and helpful.
I will eat here again.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

The burgers at The Rockstone are monumental and the rest of the menu looks delish. I have had a Salzburger and a Captain Jerk Sparrow and they were both perfectly cooked, with adequate chips and salad.
8 good locally breweed ales and an epic spirit list mean repeat trips are guaranteed.

The only two small changes I think need to be made are:
1. Cheaper single measures on spirits
2. More variety on the ale front, there were 6 'brown' bitters on when I visited. Would have enjoyed a Porter/Stout or a light golden ale.

Apart from that it is a gem of a pub, with great food and friendly staff with a good sense of humour

Reviewed May 20, 2013

The food here transcends your standard pub meal. The prices are a little higher than you'd ordinarily pay for a pub lunch, but do not be put off (unless you really are on a tight budget). I would rather eat at The Rockstone once than eat at any other food-serving pub twice, so it is definitely worth it. First of all, the pub itself has a warm, congenial atmosphere, helped along by extremely diligent and friendly staff and well-behaved clientèle. The decor etc are all amazing too and their selection of ales is ever changing and never disappointing.

The food! The menu is equal parts diverse and amusing. The latter due to excellently judged puns such as "The Loin, the witch and the wardrobe", "Aubergene Hackman", "Rib Eye of the Tiger" and many, many more. The quality of the food is invariably high. The flavours are well measured and delicious. My favourite is the rib eye steak coated with black pepper and chilli flakes and topped with garlic and herb butter. Not only is the main event absolutely amazing, but the trimming are not to be forgotten either. Many meals come with a generous helping of onion rings, delicious chips, coleslaw and side salad which are almost worth the price of entry themselves. Add to this the option to customise your meal - the chefs are very accommodating and you have a near perfect pub meal on your hands.

Do yourself a real favour and visit The Rockstone for food, but if it's an evening, make sure you book fast as it fills up quickly. When you've eaten there, you'll see why.

2  Thank NoPeteBoydNo
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I like meat. And they serve it here. WELL. Other things are served, but I’m not obliged to eat all the things on the menu, so that’s awesome. My mum used to make me eat all the things on my plate, so I’m glad The Rockstone know I’m an adult, with choices. And it’s a treat not to have someone staring over me, revoking my dessert rights.

Sometimes, because the portions are so generous, I have to send my plate back with some food on it, and I’m STILL allowed to order dessert.

Main course is always amazing. I’m not exaggerating – I DO mean ALWAYS. Vegetarian dishes are thoughtful and not just some cheese on a plate with crackers (recommend Highway to Haloumi or Tart Attack).

Burgers are all about the meat, amazingly cooked and individual enough so that one has real troubles choosing only one burger each time (recommend the Rockstone Classic, This is England and The Ranch).

The rump steak is tastier than steaks I’ve had in Belgium or France, and comes served with all the trimmings.

Side order wise, I always order onion rings which are devoured by my eating companions who are annoying and say “well I didn’t fancy a whole portion, can I just try one of yours?”... and they do, and then end up coming back for more. Too much more. And I only end up with like, 3 because the other 8 people all got involved. ORDER YOUR OWN ONION RINGS PEOPLE.

I’ve been with many different friends and never seen a disappointed face. My friend who hates Dauphinoise potatoes (and once told me if she had to eat them she’d DIE), once ordered them by accident with her roast, and has been converted ever since. All she does is moan how no-one makes Dauphinoise like the Rockstone. THAT is what you egt for living in London, Simone.

... But what of the DESSERTS?

Do you like ice cream? Yes.
Do you like chocolate sauce? Course you do.
Do you like home made brownies? Certainly.

Well then I’d recommend the Sundae. If you have room. Which, I’ve figured out, if you leave your salad garnish, limit yourself to only ONE side order, and breathe deep between bites, you will have room for.

Atop all of these tasty delights, the pub itself is cosy and charming with a proper family run, friends are welcome, we have a dog, feel. Toilets are always spotless (it’s important) and the staff are lovely. I once sprained my ankle outside the Rockstone and the staff were all on hand to help me, administer first aid and keep me hydrated while I panicked like a nutter before the ambulance got there.

All in all, I think you ought visit.

To be clear, I don't recommend spraining your ankle.

1  Thank Vitt G
Reviewed May 20, 2013

From the outside you'd be forgiven for thinking that the Rockstone is just your average watering hole. But get inside and you'll discover that this is a real Gem of a pub that you rarely find these days.

The pub has a warm welcoming vibe which is added to by the real log fire. I would describe it as a country pub in the heart of a busy city.

The food is fantastic and far exceeds what you would expect from a pub, i recomend the juicy burgers.

This is a great lively pub with a great selection of liqour and i recomend that you vvisit if you are in the area.

Thandy!