“Pubtastic !”

Ranked #21 of 854 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Craft beer, real ale and cider. 200+ spirits. Best Gourmet burgers in Southampton, Street food. Vegan and gluten free wizardry. 2 beer gardens. Monthly events & tap takeovers. 2 for £22 Burger Night every Monday and Tuesday 17.00 to 21.30. Student Wednesdays every Wednesday. Rock the Stone drink deals and alternative / rock / metal music Friday and Saturday 21.00 till late. Food is served between 12.00-21.30 Mon-Sat, 12.00-21.00 Sun. Booking is advised, especially at weekends and match days. Well behaved dogs are welcome at The Rockstone provided they are kept on a lead and off the furniture. Children and under-18s welcome 12.00-20.00 and later provided they are with an adult. Please contact us if you have any special dietary requirements or other queries as we are happy to accommodate your requests.
“Pubtastic !”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Great food, very friendly staff and we watched a great local band there, not bad for atall for a first visit however i did feel the tables were a little crammed in and not alot of space.The only real problem is no parking for our driver but apart from that faultless.Will be revisiting again maybe at a less busier time...You must sample the steaks!!

• Visited January 2013

Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We went to The Rockstone for dinner with our young teenage children early on a Friday night. We chose it as it was rated so highly on Trip Advisor and weren't disappointed.

It's not really a kids pub on a Friday night but the staff were friendly and helpful and the eclectic mix of customers didn't bat an eyelid.

The pub itself is a proper, characterful pub - busy, loads of genuine stuff on the walls and a range of real ales.

Then there's the food - the reason we went. We decided to skip starters after seeing some mains come out and I'm glad we did. The special menu ribs were enormous. Lovely and tender and a great taste (we would have liked them with more sauce on them though it did have a pot of sauce on the side). We had them with the optional sweet potato fries which were delicious.

The burgers were huge, massively meaty and really tasty. I think there were 17 varieties of burger and while I really fancied the Volcano burger, the waitress warned me it was seriously hot so I went for the Ranch with bacon. Nice fries, great big onion rings and all very fresh and home-made.

For the price the food was good value - especially the ribs.

Our only minor gripe was that the room was quite cold to sit in (to be fair it was bitter outside and no-one else seemed to be concerned so may have been where we were positioned). It certainly wouldn't stop me going back.

Highly recommended for a large, tasty, fresh meal in an informal environment.

Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Damn good food and experience”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

One thing that never ceases to amaze is the great food. Always a special menu that you really want to try more than one item off on top of the regular tasty selection of burgers etc. You pay for quality and you get it in taste and quantity. For the drinks lover, there is a large selection that will please anyone.

Atmosphere is always good and the pubs always busy for it. Will go again and often; its a great place to start an evening out, (or end up having such a good time you stay till close) :)

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Bad_Alchemy
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sorry it has taken me so long to write a review”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I love the Rockstone and I am difficult to please. I regularly go in even when they are busy and drinks wise once I get served I have no idea what I want... I just say something delicious and then something pretty delicious is devised for me. The bar staff, chefs & hosts Max/Aimee are extremely friendly and when not exceptionally busy will have a chat with you while they are multi-tasking.
The food is pretty great too without fail I will get something that I feel is value for money, the specials tho are superb and inspired and I heartily recommend you ask the staff what they recommend on your visit. In conclusion an awesome pub that will welcome you into it's friends group like a needy emo teen on facebook. If you haven't tried it... try it...

1 Thank Richard L
Portsmouth
“No Matter What Time Of Day...”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

...The Rockstone always delivers!

We returned for a slap-up late lunch around 3pm and the Pub itself was relatively quiet. For a change we could choose where to sit, which was nice! We hadn't eaten here for nearly a couple of months and felt we were long overdue a visit.

I ordered a Volcano Burger (a firm favourite now) and was trembling... I'd heard rumours of a new batch of Naga Chilli volcano sauce being whipped up. Now, I like my chilli, but I eat for pleasure... not for sadomasochistic kicks.

The burger itself arrived in less than 15 minutes perfectly cooked and well presented. The seeded bun had even been chargrilled to perfection, the pickles perfectly sliced and the burger itself stacked and skewered into a mini high-rise of meaty goodness. It was so tall I couldn't actually wrap my laughing-gear round it. The volcano sauce was hot, rolling to a habanero crescendo over a minute or two yet didn't drown out the other flavours such as the spiced cheese or the fresh steak mince burger itself. A beautiful umami moment.

The fries were perfect as always and the balsamic side salad goes some way to relieving the guilt and extinguishing the fire. This was all washed down with a fantastic guest ale, of which there are always plenty of new ones to try every week.

A definite treat that is always welcome (and prone to overindulgence).

All Hail The Rockstone! King of Burgers!

1 Thank S A