“The best steaks and burgers in town.”
Review of The Rockstone

The Rockstone
Ranked #23 of 881 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, British, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Craft beer, real ale and cider. 200+ spirits. Best Gourmet burgers in Southampton, Street food. Vegan and gluten free wizardry. 2 beer gardens. Monthly events & tap takeovers. 2 for £22 Burger Night every Monday and Tuesday 17.00 to 21.30. Student Wednesdays every Wednesday. Rock the Stone drink deals and alternative / rock / metal music Friday and Saturday 21.00 till late. Food is served between 12.00-21.30 Mon-Sat, 12.00-21.00 Sun. Booking is advised, especially at weekends and match days. Well behaved dogs are welcome at The Rockstone provided they are kept on a lead and off the furniture. Children and under-18s welcome 12.00-20.00 and later provided they are with an adult. Please contact us if you have any special dietary requirements or other queries as we are happy to accommodate your requests.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I have been to the Rockstone a few times now, and every time have been blown away by THE FOOD!! Food is important to me in life, I value both quality AND quantity and the peeps at the Rockstone satisfy both those needs. I need to eat a lot, yet always leave the pub feeling full and well satisfied at all the delicious things that just happened in my mouth.

Not just the food though - it is the only place I know which truly eschews the student drinking mentality and offers beverages for the discerning palate - a bountiful range of whiskeys and rums are available to be enjoyed and the staff are very knowledgeable and have advised me well on which drink to sample.

Considering the quality of the food, drink, and the service, the prices are an absolute bargain - in general very competitive and on special offers night arguably even "cheap".

I recommend the pub to all my friends and revisit it as often as possible.

1  Thank Andrew M

Reviewed February 9, 2013

The first time we went to the Rockstone was to meet some friends, we had never been there before. What a great pub, brilliant atmosphere, friendly staff, nice garden area with a fire pit for those chilly winter cigarettes. The menu is a bit weird, not really my type of food so although I have eaten there a couple of times I really just go there for the great music and the atmosphere. Saying this all my friends love the food. I don't go out much but although this pub is 30 minutes walk from my house I have now made it my local. They advertise themselves as a country pub in the town, I would say that this is a very apt description.

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was meeting up with a friend who I hadn't seen for a while and thought we'd go for some lunch. Whilst he was quite happy to go to a local takeaway for a burger I suggested we go to the Rockstone.
Upon arrival a lovely young lady behind the bar greeted us like we were regulars which was very welcoming.
I set up a tab by leaving my card behind the bar and my friend chose the Rockstone Classic burger whilst I opted for the Volcano Burger but with the sauce on the side (a choice made with memories of a previous encounter fresh in my mind - a sauce not for the faint hearted, although works well as a dipping condiment for me) as well as some onion rings to share.
The food came out after around 15 minutes, my friends face was an absolute picture. He was in awe. Both home made burgers were humongous, cooked to perfection, a generous portion of fries and a salad garnish that some establishment would sell as a side salad.
I've been to the Rockstone many times and have never had a bad meal yet. Even when I've been in during busy periods the staff are very attentive and the food is fantastic.
I know the prices of the burgers have increased but I don't mind paying it as the food is well worth it and never fails to fill you up.
My friend couldn't finish his burger and never even attempted the onion rings (which are amazing by the way, fresh, battered to perfection and more than enough to share amongst more than two people).
Needless to say my friend was impressed after his first visit.
Overall a superb lunch, great food & service.
Well done to the staff & kitchen team!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Went for lunch today for my birthday. TA reviews were intriguing... Honestly happy with visit.
Food: both had burgers, £12.50 each, not cheap but were huge, homemade and very good.
Service: very friendly, knowledgable and cannot fault.
Drinks: mate had 2 different real ales from a choice of approx 7 and loved both (Hants Rose and I think long John) I drink rum and their selection is definitely the best in Southampton... Prob 30+
Lovely afternoon. My only slight negative view (personal) is the decor inside, it's just not to my taste, a little old fashioned. But hey, I would eat in a barn if the food was great and it was. If you want a fab burger give it a try...

JeffSheriff, Owner at The Rockstone, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Hello Sir,

Thank you so much for coming in for your birthday that fateful day!

Hope you had a good birthday and hope to see you soon for more burger related action!

(PS, on a Thursday, there is a deal whereby you get money off burgers.)

We have tried to make the decor more contemporary, (it's only 12 months old) by adding pop culture references all over the place. See if you can spot them next time. For example, we have a Winchester above the bar, as a pastiche of Shaun Of The Dead.

I would like to point out to anyone reading just to make sure, that we actually have EIGHT ales, SEVENTY FIVE rums, EIGHTY WHISKIES AND BOURBONS, TWENTY GINS AND TEN VODKAS.

We have a total of about 220 spirits.

So if rum is your tipple, please come and make your way through the list!

Thank you so much for your kind and honest review, much appreciated!

Take care,

And happy birthday!

Max

X

Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went to The Rockstone on a Saturday night and were glad we'd booked a table in advance because the place was jam-packed. It's a bustling, lively pub, and the staff are friendly and helpful. Our steaks were grilled perfectly - we'd asked for rare, and that's how we got them! The salad, onion rings, coleslaw and fries which accompanied the steaks were all fresh and plentiful. Unusual beers and real ales make a welcome change too from the usual pub selection. The Rockstone is an all-round excellent pub serving hearty Hampshire fare in a lovely, happy atmosphere. We'll definitely visit again.

2  Thank AllegraHampshire