“Weird rules”

Add it.
The Restaurant Marks and Spencer
Ranked #563 of 850 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The restaurant inside Marks and Spencer
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Weird rules”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Whent there with My wife for lunch, never been before. Staff friendly enough. It was 11.50am and when the waitress took our order (2 sandwiches) we were told that she couldnt take lunch orders untill 12 as they were still serving breakfast. OK a bit wierd but accepted. she came back some 15 mins later to take our lunch order. This is where it got a bit weird my wife ordered the chicken/bacon/lettuce sandwhich without bacon, which was fine, I ordered the steak sandwhich, which came with wedges, i dont like wedged so asked If I coudl have chips instead (they did chips with other meals) and we were told no, you cant change the specification of the menu. My wife being a waitress most of her adult like questioned this, the waitress still said that it was policy not to change the menu. My wife promptly ask to speak to the Manager, as she felt this was a stupid and unecessary rule. The waitress came back some 5 mons later to advise that the Chef said on this occasion we could have chips. But then asked if I wanted mustard on my steak sandwhich (we thought you couldnt change the specification). The food was good quality but the chicken sanwhich came toasted, but it didnt say so on the menu. 2 sanwhiched and 2 cokes and a cup of tea £23.00.(a bit expensive) Wont go back on principle becuase of the chip/wedge fiasco. In the restaurant where my wife works, they get asked all the time to change the menu spec, its NEVER a problem.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank 369MarkS369

Southampton, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“SLOW SLOW NOT QUICK QUICK”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Having got into the restaurant BEFORE lunch was being served, we were attended to and offered the menu and drinks. After ordering, the server then returned to say that there was at least a 20 minute wait for 'our menu choice' but not more than 30 minutes. OK, so my son and I happily chated away.
Then out of the corner of my eye, after half an hour's wait, I could see a plated meal at the serving counter resembling my order, with a cone of chips. Our server eventually got to the counter, looked at 'my food', and then went to the cash desk and looked at the computer screen. Back she went to the serving counter, and spoke to someone (obviously my son's food wasn't forthcoming) and proceded to shift my meal along the counter, then onto the hot serving counter where it sat.

After 2 minutes of watching this, our server came over and said my food was ready, but my son's would be forthcoming 'in 2 minutes'. I said...is that my food sat on the hot counter to which she said yes. She asked whether she should bring me mine, I said yes, then she said my son's food would be 2 minutes. I said I'd have mine right away. She went and fetched it over, and as she left, I could see the food wasn't anywhere near hot (steak ciabatta with chips). My son's food was presented over 5 minutes later. His food was hot and delicious, my steak was unchewable. OK, so I don't like rare steak, but if the steak had been sliced it would have been edible.

On paying the bill, I said the cashier, that I now remembered why I had only been in the restaurant 3 times in 5 years, and that was because of the SLOW SLOW SERVICE. Shame, as I shop in Marks at least twice a week, and an occasional meal would be very pleasant.

On leaving the restaurant, I said to the eager waiting queue to allow at least an hour before any food surfaced!!!

1 Thank 46Sonia
Southampton
“3 months on and still no change! Gluten Free Nil.WHY?”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Despite M&S saying that they were looking into the lack of Gluten Free choices in their restaurant I discovered last night that absolutely nothing has changed.
My husband and I were attempting to get to Southampton but due to an accident on the M27 we got stuck at Hedge End. Not been able to continue our journey or get home because of the gridlock we decided to sit it out and eat. Having been told by the management in December that they were looking into the gluten Free issue I felt fairly confident that we would be able to eat...Wrong. I didn't even get past the 'Wait to be seated" point being told they didn't do Gluten Free. WHY? Like I have said before you have food on your shelf in the food department why do you not care about those of us who have dietary requirements. I cannot tell you how this influences my whole perception about M&S. Disappointment doesn't even cover it.

4 Thank Julie59ja
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
“Poor Indifferent Service”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My Wife and I popped in to the restaurant mid afternoon for a sit down meal. We were greeted by a surly girl with a foreign accent who didn`t seem to be bothered about anything, and moved round the restaurant with the speed of a snail.. We were seated and given menu`s, after about 15 minutes waiting we asked the girl who seated us if we could order. She replied that she did not take orders, but should wait for a waitress! After a few minutes another girl appeared and took our order. Another 10 minutes elapsed before we got our meal. we have used this restaurant in the past and it has always been a good service. Not until M & S retrain their staff in attitude control will we be returning.

1 Thank KayCee750
“Never again”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Having eaten here and had great experience in the past we were very disappointed this time. The fish and chips came with cold chips as did the burger. My daughters macaroni cheese was poor and inedible. When we complained the waitress did try and make amends , said she would pass the feedback to the kitchen and asked if we would like a comp drink. Will not eat there again.