“Generous portions, but average food”
Review of The Prince Consort

The Prince Consort
Ranked #230 of 870 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Gatropub/local
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I visited this pub with a friend for sunday lunch. I had the chicken burger with chips. This was quite average, although there was a lot of it & it was well presented. The atmosphere was lively & friendly, & it was good to see that the pub is dog friendly.
I would go back but order a different meal.

There are newer reviews for The Prince Consort

Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I visited today for Sunday lunch.

They have a special Sunday menu offering a fixed price depending on how many courses you have but you can also order from their ordinary menu.

I ordered the plaice from the Sunday menu and it was delicious. It came with potatoes, mangetout and red cabbage, but the waitress also brought out separate dishes of vegetables and cauliflower cheese. In fact I queried it with her because the veg already with the meal was a generous enough portion that I was worried I'd been mistakenly given someone else's side dish, but she assured me all the mains on the Sunday menu came with this.

Everything was clearly cooked from scratch and to perfection, and at less than £10 was extremely good value for money - the only downside was there was so much I didn't have room for the pudding I promised myself.

The atmosphere was just as relaxed as you'd want in a pub on a Sunday afternoon, but this did not mean any compromise in the standard of service which was attentive and friendly throughout.

We would definitely go back.

1  Thank mel_fouch
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We sat with our coats on to eat!!! Radiators not on...in December!
Menu not cheap, one had ham/eggs said it was tasty. Im certain mine was microwaved. A glass of wine £4.
The barmaid had no charisma whatsoever, couldnt crack a smile at Christmas. The place was nearly empty....it was Christmas eve lunchtime....

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We booked a table for 18 people for Christmas lunch on Friday 13th December 2013. What a mistake that was.the food was very poor.on the plate were 4sprouts 2 roast potatoes which looked liked they had been cooked a few days ago and reheated.a burnt small sausage with bacon wrapped around it.and 2thin slices of processed turkey.covered in what looked like dish water for gravy.and it was all stone cold.never again terrible terrible.such a same for the folk looking forward to a nice Christmas lunch.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked a table for four on Sunday 15/9/13 and were very disappointed with the food. The steak was very fatty, overdone at one end and almost raw at the other end. Two 'topside of beef' lunches appeared to be re-heated slices of supermarket ready-sliced beef that were as tough as old boots. The vegetables were just about ok, but all in all a very poor meal and we won't be going back.