“Expensive for the portion sizes”
Review of Grand Cafe

Grand Cafe
Ranked #18 of 881 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I visited with a group of ladies for a hen do, with a table booking for 8pm. I arrived early so enjoyed a delicious margarita-worth going back just for that! When we were seated at our table, we found we were quiet tightly packed in. This made it tricky to get to the bar to buy our own drinks. We'd all preordered but didn't get our mains until 9ish. When they arrived we commented on how small the portions were, considering the £25 cost for a starter/pudding & main. My mother only had 2 small new potatoes and the chicken portions were small and didn't fill us up. The puddings were better, but not enough crackers were provided for the amount of cheese given. I don't think I'd be returning for dinner again, just too expensive for what you get (& it's not fine dining).

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Big credit to Staff and Mngr's team for helping us with a BAT's dinner party. Lovely food and atmosphere not mentioning excellent service!
Well done and once again thank you :)

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I attended Grande Cafe for Afternoon Tea - vintage style with another 7 ladies.

Afternoon Tea is served between 3 and 5pm and Grande Cafe is a splendid venue for this, with there fabulous decor. The older style building really sets itself well, with beautiful chandeliers, lots of lighting and seating areas. Very vintgage chic.

I was particulaly impressed with the table layout, the plates, saucers and tea cups being mis-matched which added to the feel of what our group wanted and expected from this venue.

We had a choice of many teas, including English Breakfast, Early Grey, Jasmine, Mint, Aslam amongst others, and the tea was flowing for the full two hours we were there. We had one tier of a selection of sandwhiches, scones and cup cakes, seasonal fruit, chef’s petits fours between two.

My only moan would be that the sandwiches which although the fillings (especially the smoked salmon and the cucumber/ soft cheese) were lovely, the bread slighly dry - maybe this was because they'd been pre-made earlier that day for our group and left to stand for a while. However, saying that the cup cakes, scones and petits fours were absolutely deliciously moreish and we all enjoyed those. Especially the chocolate coated brownie with cherry!

Our waiter for the day was very helpful and attentive, we managed to take some beautiful photos including a group photo of all of us ladies in our Vintage attire.

Well worth £14.95 - or with a glass of chilled Deutz Champagne for only £21.50 per person.

We are thinking of making this a regular occurance!

3  Thank Charli_32
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked this venue for a surprise 60th birthday party and the restaurant could not be accommodating. All of the staff I spoke to both on the night and during the planning stages were excellent. We were well looked after throughout the evening and the food was good. Great atmosphere and although we had a 5 year old child with us this never presented an issue.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

...Just held a business / charity dinner at this venue and am delighted to recommend the Grand Cafe unreservedly as the finest venue in the city for dining and entertaining. I really do not believe you can find better in all of Southampton.

The venue itself is beautiful... majestic grand Victorian splendour enhanced with stylish contemporary decor; as soon as you walk through the entrance you know you've arrived somewhere rather special. But this only part of the experience - the greater part in fact is the magnificent management & staff team headed by Edi and her very able deputy Karen, who between them set the standard for a highly professional operation. The personal attention to detail in all aspects cannot be faulted; from special menu choices to table settings and excellent live entertainment - nothing is too much trouble and they make event management look easy - which it isn't.

Food is reliably excellent - I have also dined with my family on a Sunday afternoon and it is always of a very high standard - and the wine list is great quality at sensible prices.

Whether you're booking a table for two or a large gathering, you won't go wrong here for a fabulous dining experience in very stylish surroundings and exemplary service. And no... I don't have shares in the place! Try it for yourself and you'll see!

1  Thank AshleyJenkins