“Good fun but felt short changed”

Seadogz Rib Charter Limited
Ranked #5 of 27 Tours in Southampton
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: "The most exhilarating adventures on the Solent!"Skippered Rib Charter Hire in the Solent by Seadogz, including 60 or 90 Minute Extreme Rib Experiences, Treasure Hunts, Corporate Team Building Events, and Stag and Hen Parties. Single Tickets and group bookings available.
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I went on the 90 minute extreme rib adventure for 2 booked through Virgin Experiences bought for me as a birthday present. The Ocean Village Southampton where the experience begins has changed a lot from how I remembered it and all for the better although at present it is very much a building site with a few bars and restaurants waterside. The arrangement was that you would be met in the Pitcher and Piano by a member of staff wearing company branded T shirts. We arrived 1 hour prior to the experience and had lunch inside the pub and kept look out for any sign of this person. We had fun guesssing which, if any, of the other bar customers may be taking part in the Rib adventure. I was certain that the host would make his presence known but with under 15 minutes till the booked time I asked the waitress if she knew if any of the people in the bar were from Seadogz, she told us that he was sitting outside in the sunshine, it would not have been clear to anybody immediately that he worked for Seadogz although when I saw him waiting for the next trip he held a clipboard which made him easier to recognise. We were told that they had already left a message on our voicemail warning us to turn up or miss out which I retrieved after the adventure and that was pretty much the tone of the voicemail. We were escorted to a company van a 5 minute walk away close to the pontoon where the boat was waiting where we were given a safety briefing, which is very important but felt that it raised our expectations of a truly extreme adventure which were then dashed due to a calm sea. From the literature supplied I was expecting to get a close up view of the big ocean liners but that wasn't part of the tour although we could see Queen Mary 2 on the other side of the waterside developments. The Seadogz theme tune was blasted out of the sound system followed by James Bond etc and it was fun, there was very little commentary from the skipper except when we stopped for a quick orientation talk and staged photographs - This would have been better with a skipper and host which we had on the Poole Sea Safari the following day. Skipper tried his hardest to get behind ferries that were creating some movement in the calm sea and this was great fun and passengers on the ferry certainly enjoyed watching us ride the waves. We then were told that we were going to do a figure of eight and then an emergency stop and this was very exciting and I was looking forward to catching some more waves from the ferries after but I soon realised that we were already heading back to the marina after only 30 minutes out on the real sea, speed then drops to 6 knots and this seemed much slower than when we came out, maybe due to the speed we had just enjoyed or maybe because skipper was filling time? We got back to the pontoon 75 minutes after the safety briefing started, another picture was taken of the group out of the boat and our experience was over. We both enjoyed every minute of it and felt the boat was of a very high spec, be warned your inside leg may remind you of your adventure for the next day or two as you are instructed to use your legs to keep yourself upright. The improvements that we felt could be made would be regarding the arrangements of where to meet at the Pitcher and Piano and more honesty regards time on boat - I expected 75 minutes on the boat and 15 minutes briefing ( The 90 minute RIB adventure we had in Poole the following day was a full 90 minutes on the water ) I would definitely do it again but possibly by hiring the boat so the adventure can be created to our specifications.

2  Thank ryansdelight
"guys running"
"thrilling ride"
"awesome experience"

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I went on one of the boats in August for my Dads birthday. Meeting up was easy, we waited at the Pitcher and Piano as asked. We then proceeded to have a 30 minute 'debriefing' which was dragged out and is actually part of the '90 minute experience' which didn't seem clear before hand.

I was also disappointed to be sat on the bench at the very back of the boat instead of one of the stool type individual seats at the front, but I understand someone has to sit at the back. The thing is, we actually couldn't see anything in front of us (we were much lower down than the others and could only see the back of their heads) and I don't think we had the same experience as those sitting at the front when we all paid the same. If you go - I would ask to sit at the front.

It was also a shame that it was such a lovely, sunny, calm day when we decided to go as it meant there weren't many waves etc so we weren't thrown around very much, hence it wasn't very 'extreme' for us, but it is fun when you do hit some waves.

The guys are nice though - and I would advise to go outside of summer and ask to sit near the front, that way I think you'll have more waves and a better view.

2  Thank charlotteakelly
annabelle_carey, Manager at Seadogz Rib Charter Limited, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your Seadogz Experience.

All experiences included a safety briefing- this is a legal requirement and it is mentioned on the activity description and booking confirmation. The safety brief usually lasts around 15-20min and so I apologise if yours was longer than this- there are sometimes factors that can affect the time spent briefing, for example if there are any special requirements or if people have questions. The safety of everyone on board is always the top priority and so we would never shorten of skip bits of the brief to save time. The Skipper is responsible for all of the passengers on board and so it is their responsibility to make sure that everything has been covered and that everyone on the tips feels completely safe at all times- this may mean that the safety brief takes slightly longer but please feel assured that this is the only reason that we do this.

Unfortunately as you mentioned the weather does also affect the sea state- obviously this is out of our control but you are quite right in saying that a sunny day does often mean flat calm seas. On a shared boat it is also important that the trip is suitable for everyone on board. Also you are correct in mentioning that the front of the boat is more extreme than the back. Going back to safety again- it will be the skippers decision where everyone sits on the trip, but you can request a front seat and if the Skipper feels that it is safe then they will do their best to accommodate.

I hope that this is helpful and I hope that you will come back and join us again.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

My teenage son and I weren't quite sure what to expect when we arrived for our 60 minute taster session, and the all important pre-trip briefing left us slightly apprehensive. That said, it was clear from the start that we were in the hands of experienced professionals and the boat itself was immaculate, so we were not at all concerned for our safety.

Once out into Southampton Water we were treated to the most exhilirating ride of our lives! The sensation of speed across the water is incredible, and the tight turns and jumps over the wake of other craft seem to defy the laws of physics. Not having had much nautical experience, we were amazed by what a power-boat at full chat can achieve in the right hands, and Seadogz are certainly the right hands By far the best thing I have done in a very long time!

5  Thank AndrewS478
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Wow what a thrilling ride, with good old school cheesy tunes, ............ It all starts with a very IMPORTANT safety talk which was very useful and made the extreme rib ride all the more fun.....
Your taken round the Solent on a thrilling journey with tight turns and wake riding,,,,,,,,,,, I didn't want it to end, am going again next year.

4  Thank Audrey H