“Authentic Caribbean Tastes.”

Turtle Bay
Ranked #37 of 847 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Caribbean, Bar, Jamaican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Situated in Guildhall Square only 15 minutes from the train station and close to West Quay Shopping Centre and Guildhall. Turtle Bay is perfect for a big night-out, a quiet dinner for two, lunch with work-mates, somewhere to dump all those shopping bags or just somewhere to break the journey home.
Solihull
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Caribbean Tastes.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Whilst visiting Southampton for an open day at Solent Uni decided to try this restaurant for lunch. I had the curry goat which was lean and tender and very spicy almost as good as a friends mums recipe. My son opten for jerk chicken and husband for pulled jerk pork bun. Both were very pleased with their choices. Services was very good and staff were friendly. We also had soft drinks which were different from the usual sodas on many restaurants menus and typical of the caribbean with the use of condensed milk in the icecream type milkshakes. I am hoping my son chooses Southampton Solent Uni so I have an excuse to visit this restaurant again.

• Greek first
  • Thai first
Southampton, United Kingdom
“A lovely, spicy, surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I was totally surprised by this place, i didn't think it would be too great but it was lovely. Tried to book on the same day but it was fully booked. The guy on the phone said to just pop in and we would be able to wait for a free table so we did, had to wait 30 mins so we took advantage of the 2 for 1 cocktails which were really good. After 30 mins we were seated and served straight away. Food didn't take too long and it was lovely! I went for the fish curry which was quite spicy but well cooked, veggies were soft and a good selection of fish. My partner had the ribs with sweet potato fries. The ribs were also very spicy but enjoyable. Total bill - 2 cocktails & two mains = about £35. Looking forward to going back and trying more of the menu.

1 Thank Comfytibble
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Thoroughly enjoyable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I had been a couple of times for cocktails and was happy to find an excuse to eat here. I was surprised at how tasty the food was as I thought they may have dummed down the spices for the masses. The cocktails were great and the service was good. I thought it was good value and will definitely return.

1 Thank Helen2502
Cambridge
“Attentive service, upbeat atmosphere, food generally quite good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We booked a table earlier on the day we ate, a Thursday, and as it was already nearly booked up we had to go for an early slot. Babs our waitress was very helpful and friendly and the atmosphere in the restaurant buzzy and upbeat with Bob Marley music playing in the background (not too loud and as we had to eat early to get a table it was not too busy) One of oue starters,, called I think Barbecue Beach consisted of a few chicken wings and a bit of corn plus other quite tasty bits. However, overall the four of us thought it poor value for money (£12.95). The cocktails (2 for 1 which go on until 7pm) are good value for money at £6.65p and are quite good though all of them tended to have too much ice in them which we had to spoon out I had the mango and prawn curry which was good, tasty and not too spicy. Another in our party had the goat curry which is also good though rather hot. The lamb dish was tasty, good cut and tender without any fat. So yes overall the food was quite good, though personally I did not particularly like eating out of a tin dish.. So yes I would recommend the restaurant though I am not sure that I would necessarily rush back. I am rating this restaurant overall with a score of 4, though really I would say that it is good rather than very good. Our bill for four people came to £92 before a tip, which we felt was fair value for money.

1 Thank annemarie10
England
“Fun atmosphere and good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is a great place to meet with friends - the service is brilliant and very friendly, and its a very relaxed place to have a catch up.

The food is excellent value, but sometimes a little oily. I love that they do sweet potato fries, and the seasonings on the meat and fish are great. Sometimes the portions can seem a little stingy, but they are the perfect size to make sure you don't feel stuffed afterwards!

The condensed milk smoothies are incredible - I once went here with my dad, who had one, and it was so good I drank half of it!

Avoid the prawn salad - how are you supposed to eat it without getting oil everywhere?!

1 Thank sunshine316