“Eccellente, Fantastico !”

Il Picchio Caffe
Ranked #280 of 881 Restaurants in Southampton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: It's a lovely Caffe/deli/pasticeria located in Bitterne Park Triangle and owned by a chap called Sandro.
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We chanced upon this wonderful Cafe/Restaurant at Bitterne Trangle, Southampton, in need of a late morning quick snack as opposed to a full lunch. What a treat. ! . Sandro was not there, but the person serving us could not have been more accomodating, and we had a splendid large plate of Antipasto, with wonderful Olive Oil from Sandro's own olive grove in Italy and superb bread .

We sat outside and could have been in Italy, sitting in the sunshine. . We will definitely be returning to try the restaurant one evening soon . The menu looks great and all reasonably priced.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Il Piccio Cafe, Bitterne Triangle

Once you step inside you may feel a little strange... like you have just stepped through the door into a real Italian Cafe in a village in Italy. You may have to look behind you and just check you are still in Southampton before you find a seat. It's not that it is trying to be grand or really try hard, its just very authentic without trying!

Sandro the host is Italian and a really friendly and welcoming guy. He always says hello and I think he loves his job: meeting people and serving up good Italian food.
There is often some World music playing lightly in the background and you can read a book, write in your journal, catch up with a friend in a really relaxed environment. You may even find you have planned a trip to Italy before you leave!

I go there more often now but usually as a treat. I cannot imagine giving my custom to the likes of Starbucks or Cafe Nero when there is an amazing independent cafe with character and a real person who knows my name running it!!! After I discovered it I meet friends and family there for coffee and cake, sometimes head there for lunch (although you need to leave plenty of time as all food is home-cooked). You can go for a lovely walk up the riverside park before or after too which makes it even more inviting in it's location on Bitterne Triangle.

So what does Sandro do so well?

In my opinion you cannot find a better hot chocolate in Southampton, perhaps even England!!!
His coffee is also really high quality and most of his produce is from Italy and homemade. His Cakes are divine, especially the Sunken Chocolate cake and Sicilian Orange which he makes himself. If you are Gluten Free you will love it as many of his cakes are made with almonds instead of flour so GF... I have not found better GF cakes in Southampton.
He also makes lovely authentic Italian dishes and you can have GF options, even pasta if you want to. I do as I have a wheat intolerance and it makes a nice change to go out for yummy pasta.

I highly recommend you pop in. It will cost the same as Starbucks but for much superior products. You will also be supporting a local business that has lots of character. I haven't yet been for dinner but my neighbors have and said it was really good.

This really is a hidden gem and worth going in, even on your own... in fact I sometimes go solo for a bit of me time and its great!

K :)

Note: There is also a really good Butcher's in the Triangle called Garson's... you won't be disappointed, he knows his stuff and is reasonable for the quality you get. His Lamb sausages are really good and again if you are GF he will sort you out no probs!

Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is really one of the best restaurants I've visited in Southampton. It's run by Sandro, who is a lovely Italian gentleman, and the food is truly excellent. It's only just started opening in the evenings on Friday and Saturday night. Going there always feels a bit like going on holiday, because there's wonderful Italian music playing, and it's so laid back and relaxing being there. The food is very well priced, especially for the high quality. They have really boozy puddings. The wines are good too.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We visited this little cafe for an evening meal had starters and main meal which although very tasty, the portions were tiny, I had spezzatino there must have been about four pieces of beef in it and two olives, found it very expensive for what was served up, mine was in a breakfast dish, needs more of an Italian decor and toilet needs decorating, Sandro the host is a very pleasant guy and the chef good, but to warrant the prices need to increase the amount of food. I hope they do well because it is lovely to have independent cafe bars, but either the prices go down or amount of food needs to increase otherwise don't think it will go any further as an eaterie.

1  Thank Tracy H
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We discovered 'Sandro's Il Picchio when we lived in Eastleigh. It was a haven of good food, nice coffee and calmness while my back recovered from a serious operation. We moved away but still drive down from Newbury to visit when we can. Why? Because there is no substitute for someone who cares about what he does, and does it well. He was commended in the Delli of the Year awards for 2011, he has the highest score for hygeine, and we never get food poisoning there. I mention that because we almost always get food poisoning when we eat out! In three years in Cambridge, a year in Oxford, 6 months in Winchester and 6 months in Basingstoke it happened every time.

Do go - and try the Sicillian Orange cake. I like the more savory pastas - bigoi in salsa (anchovies, onions and white wine), for example - and the coffee is coffee, not the beige stuff sold in chains.