“first time probably not the last..”
Review of The Art House

The Art House
Ranked #82 of 901 Restaurants in Southampton
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Community run - for love, not for profit. The Art House is not your usual cafe. An arts venue, cafe, craft shop and gallery in the heart of Southampton. Enjoy lunch, supper, tea & cake, wine and a selection of locally brewed beers. Open: 11am - 10pm Tues - Sat, 12 - 5pm Sunday when we serve veggie roast lunches! All food is suitable for vegetarians (though many of our customers are not!)And ALL dishes can be made vegan. Freshly made, with love, on the premises using organic ingredients, many of which are locally sourced. Our drinks are all fair trade and our cakes are homemade, vegan, from the best fair trade, organic ingredients (gluten free options are usually available. Delicious, wholesome and environmentally conscious - and all the food and drink you buy funds local art! We are fully licensed with a great selection of wines, ales, beers, ciders and aperitifs. Most of our crew are volunteers who give their time to make this wonderful space for you to enjoy. There is art on the walls, a Boutique with crafts and clothes and an exciting programme of events. All of the money we make goes back into the organisation, so that we can grow and offer more to the creative community of Southampton.
Reviewed March 1, 2014

The art house was tres cool, had lovely peaceful vibes and a good selection of food and even filled a hungry carnivore!My wife and I shared a Mediterranean starter and I decided on adding a burrito to the mix, I was pleasantly sated by the end of our time there... Both came with awesome salads and and the med sharer had some really tasty homemade coarse hummus. They also catered for my wife who's coeliac by swapping the pittas for some cracker thingys, nice touch..
Will definetley return and maybe next time sit in one of the cosy nook corner seats which for the majority of or time there I had mistaken for mirrors!
There looks to be plenty of interesting bits n pieces going on, hopefully on the next visit I'll find someone who can teach me some Spanish..

ArtHouseCIC, Manager at The Art House, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Thanks so much for this lovely review, we have a few Spanish volunteers so you may well be able to practice on your next visit :)

Reviewed February 8, 2014

The Art House is the stuff of legend. A lot of my friends have ended up in Southampton, none of them know each other but repeatedly I've had people say to me "I found this great place in Southampton, you'd love it!" and before they've even said any more I know what they're talking about! It was about a year after people telling me about the place that I managed to go there, and I wasn't disappointed! The Art House is so friendly. It radiates warmth and energy. The first time I went in there was a lively craft fair upstairs, the next few times there was live music. I also always seem to bump into someone I know there, often who I haven't seen for years! It just has a lovely friendly crowd, lovely friendly staff, and well, is just lovely in itself! There is always something happening, the food is delicious and it has a wonderful range of teas.
The Art House is getting it right in so many ways!

This review delighted us so much, we are really pleased to have such high praise! Your lovely words have been passed on to our volunteer crew, thanks!

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Ok, so I have been to this place so often I am considering getting their 'friends' card. From a cup of tea on a wet and windy afternoon, to a beer watching the Three Monkeys acoustic event monthly, or seeing Maud the moth play amongst the origami classes and so on there is loads going on here. It's volunteer run so everything you contribute goes back into it - thanks Bik and Steve especially

Slight side note....the coffee and walnut cake (always there!) and a blueberry smoothie (sometimes possible) is worth visiting for :)

Thanks very much for this positive review, Nancy, we are so pleased you are able to enjoy a range of things we offer here, from cake to music - what a great combo :)

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Came across this cafe by chance on route to my Hotel and feeling a bit peckish, popped in for a coffee and a snack. It has an interesting menu, so I had hummus and pitta bread, made a nice change from a sandwich.
The decor is very arty and a lot of the customers were obviously regulars, some quite hippy looking.looked like something was happening upstairs as lots of comings and goings and a small section in the corner selling local crafts.
Very interesting place, certainly beats the usual coffee shops, lots to look at while having your coffee fix.

Thanks for this lovely review, Margaret - we are so pleased you happened to find us!

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We went in here for lunch and I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. My plough mans was delicious and different from the usual. I will get a stronger coffee next time but it is really good value

Thanks very much, we are pleased you enjoyed your visit! We have now acquired an espresso machine so hope to fulfil your need for stronger coffee next time you visit :)