“Good vlaue and pleasant staff”

Highfield House Hotel
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Newport, United Kingdom
“Good vlaue and pleasant staff”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Have stayed here 5 times and would recommend this hotel. Clean, friendly and economical. Good breakfast and plenty of it. Near local restaurants and shops. Bus routes into Southampton. Near airport and railway.

Room Tip: Choose room overlooking car park not over looking front -as busy road.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We decided to stay in Southampton overnight rather than driving to Southampton, collecting University student daughter and returning home on the same day. We therefore needed an hotel within easy reach of her and at a reasonable price. The price and rating of the Highfield encouraged us to book, last minute, an overnight stay, with breakfast included.

A large car park with plenty of space, a speedy, cheerful and efficient registration and up to the room to find the keycard didn't work. A replacement quickly provided and checked, and into the room. Very pleasant, clean, good use of space with all amenities expected of a modern hotel.

A good night's sleep (although rather warm for someone used to minimal heating and wide open windows) and down to a full English breakfast. Self service, with all the food piping hot, definitely not congealed at all even though breakfast had been being served for just over 2 hours. An excellent selection, with only cereal missing, and staff happy to make toast, pour drinks and bring coffee to the table.

All in all, excellent value for money if you want clean surroundings, large breakfast and friendly and professional service for under £55!

3 Thank KateBaker
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

My father and I stayed here for the sixth time last month. As always the staff went out of their way to accomodate us - I wanted a single room on ground level for 83 year old dad so as to avoid him having to use stairs. As there are no single rooms on ground level they allocated him a twin room on ground floor for the same price as a single room.
Staff are always friendly and attentive, the rooms are lovely and the breakfast delicious.
I would highly recommend this hotel. A warm, inviting stay, in contrast to many chain hotels whose welcome is often very inpersonal and cold

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank nicola f
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during the summer. The room was on the small side, but tastefully furnished in a modern style. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom small but well equipped. In contrast to some of the other reviews on here, I was underwhelmed by the breakfast: a decent buffet, but a little too bland and predictable for my liking. I'm not sure why you would choose to stay in Portswood unless you had local business reasons, but one benefit is that some of the best restaurants in Southampton are around the corner (thank you tripadvisor for the recommendations!) Overall, it's not my favourite hotel in Southampton, but I won't be too upset if booked in the Highfield House again in the future - a decent choice.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I booked this hotel online and had expected to pay £49, when I came to check in, additional costs and tax added made the total £69. I chose this hotel for the cheap price as we were already paying for theatre tickets but now wish I had chosen something closer to the theatre as there were alot around the £69 mark. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was good but my stay there was slightly ruined by the room costing £20 more than expected.

Room Tip: I asked for a downstairs room and it had a door to link through to the next room which was locked bu...
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

A lovely place to stay. The staff were all very friendly & very helpful. The room itself was very clean with great facilities. Tv,tea & coffee making facilities,iron,ironing board,hairdryer & complimentary toiletries. Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice,staff made me some vegetarian sausages on request. Fried eggs were available and scrambled eggs were made upon request too.Good location,with pub,supermarket & fantastic thai restaurant within walking distance. Would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Having read reviews we were given a room on the top floor at the front, lots of traffic noise and the heating appeared to have a bad case of indigestion , so we asked for a different room. The staff on reception were very helpful and gave us a room facing the rear. After we returned from dinner I realised we should have tolerated the traffic noise due to the troglodyte wedding reception being held in the hotel. As interesting as it may have been I didn't want to listen to their family disputes being aired under our closed window, or a barrow being dragged backwards and forwards to a van in the early hours. It would appear Essex has nothing on Hampshire in the chav stakes. I can't really blame the hotel for me only getting four hours sleep but I had hoped for almost twice that after a long day. Breakfast was excellent as were the staff , genuinely nice people.
I was somewhat surprised when we checked in around 6 pm to be told my credit card had already been charged as they were allowed to, at 12:06pm ,an hour and 54 minutes before check in starts. Given the choice I would have paid cash.
Hopefully we were unlucky but if I needed a hotel in the area, I doubt this would be my first choice.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple