“Decent hotel with nicely furnished rooms”

Highfield House Hotel
Ranked #17 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during the summer. The room was on the small side, but tastefully furnished in a modern style. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom small but well equipped. In contrast to some of the other reviews on here, I was underwhelmed by the breakfast: a decent buffet, but a little too bland and predictable for my liking. I'm not sure why you would choose to stay in Portswood unless you had local business reasons, but one benefit is that some of the best restaurants in Southampton are around the corner (thank you tripadvisor for the recommendations!) Overall, it's not my favourite hotel in Southampton, but I won't be too upset if booked in the Highfield House again in the future - a decent choice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed December 8, 2013

I booked this hotel online and had expected to pay £49, when I came to check in, additional costs and tax added made the total £69. I chose this hotel for the cheap price as we were already paying for theatre tickets but now wish I had chosen something closer to the theatre as there were alot around the £69 mark. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was good but my stay there was slightly ruined by the room costing £20 more than expected.

Room Tip: I asked for a downstairs room and it had a door to link through to the next room which was locked bu...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

A lovely place to stay. The staff were all very friendly & very helpful. The room itself was very clean with great facilities. Tv,tea & coffee making facilities,iron,ironing board,hairdryer & complimentary toiletries. Breakfast was lovely with plenty of choice,staff made me some vegetarian sausages on request. Fried eggs were available and scrambled eggs were made upon request too.Good location,with pub,supermarket & fantastic thai restaurant within walking distance. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Having read reviews we were given a room on the top floor at the front, lots of traffic noise and the heating appeared to have a bad case of indigestion , so we asked for a different room. The staff on reception were very helpful and gave us a room facing the rear. After we returned from dinner I realised we should have tolerated the traffic noise due to the troglodyte wedding reception being held in the hotel. As interesting as it may have been I didn't want to listen to their family disputes being aired under our closed window, or a barrow being dragged backwards and forwards to a van in the early hours. It would appear Essex has nothing on Hampshire in the chav stakes. I can't really blame the hotel for me only getting four hours sleep but I had hoped for almost twice that after a long day. Breakfast was excellent as were the staff , genuinely nice people.
I was somewhat surprised when we checked in around 6 pm to be told my credit card had already been charged as they were allowed to, at 12:06pm ,an hour and 54 minutes before check in starts. Given the choice I would have paid cash.
Hopefully we were unlucky but if I needed a hotel in the area, I doubt this would be my first choice.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Booked for 4 nights pre cruise. Room and breakfast very good. Staff helpful and always bright and cheerful. Excellent Thai restaurant "Sara's just around the corner and Sainsburys just over the road. Car park as well. We will book again if in the area. Excellent value for money.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We chose the hotel for the proximity to the cricket, however traffic was terrible and the 2 mile taxi ride took 40 mins, would advise taking plenty of time. Hotel itself was clean, friendly and near a high street with plenty of bars and restaurants

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2013

In town for a reunion of my nursing buddies, the hotel was a perfect spot to crash after a wonderful dinner in Ceno restaurant situated next door. (Hotel guests receive a reduction at Ceno and the food there is excellent.) My twin room at the hotel on second floor was neat and clean with plenty of hanging space, an iron and board attached to wall, a safe, hair drier, free wi fi (code obtained from reception on checkin) and a good power shower. Would have liked a box of tissues. Friends who occupied the single rooms found them somewhat 'compact', but again clean. Brekky was very good, lots of hot and cold choices served buffet style. Parking can be tricky during busy periods. This hotel offers good value for money, it is handy to the University and also has conference facilities.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends