“Convenient and Functional” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Kristiansand, Norway
“Convenient and Functional”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I've stayed here for a few days while visiting colleagues as the University of Southampton. While the hotel is within walking distance to the university, it is a bit far off the city center. The rooms are typical english style. Seem a bit old and tired, but in reasonable shape and clean. Breakfast is nice. Free wireless Internet service was quite good most of the time. Overall, it is a nice hotel for an unassuming business trip, but not a holiday spot.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RJS76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Aylesbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Visiting relatives in Southampton for the weekend, so wanted comfortable but reasonably priced accommodation. This hotel certainly delivered both. Parking was easy, it was ideally located for the University area (which was a bonus for us but may obviously not be ideal for everyone), the staff were polite and helpful, the room was fairly compact but clean and comfortable. The bathroom was a bit tired-looking, but for one night this didn't bother us too much. The beds were comfy and the room warm. The breakfast buffet was outstanding, the food seemed to be good quality and again, the staff were helpful. We will definitely be back again in the future.

Room Tip: Next time, we are going to request a room in the newer part of the building
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Wokingham, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2012

Stayed one night on 3rd Feb, with my wife. Staff were at all times very friendly, helpful regarding excellent adjoining restaurant (10% discount on presentation of room key). Slight problem with TV speedily resolved. Great full English all-you-can-eat breakfast. On a very cold night the room was warm and cosy. Parking was easy and free. Location near the University is fine.Yes, the overall decor may be a bit tired, and the rooms and bathroom on the small size, but for £49 you get what you pay for. It suited us down to the ground and we would go there again without demur.

Room Tip: No lifts so try for ground floor if you have heavy luggage
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bluepeter68
Brecon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2012

Stayed with wife one night b and b on 4.2.2012 for £49 pounds. Staff helpful etc room fine for the money and breakfast very very good (5 stars) Slight problem with bathroom rad - no heat - hotel then supplied heater, room smelt slightly of smoke although non smoking room but thats often beyond control of staff, no hot water at about 2300hrs but plenty in the morning, slightly annoying TV but thats probably my fault - could only get one channel Sky News which was okay as I only wanted to get updated re the snow which was expected. Overal although some probs but would be happy to stay again which tells you alot - stayed in the Travellodges in Southampton and Eastleigh when in this area previously but wished I had booked in here instead - live and learn. Good location for what I wanted, good parking (free) not like the nearby Southampton Travelodge. £49 B and B for two gets my thumbs up

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed here for a week due to its proximity to the Univeristy where we were working. Room 30 really is a twitchy room but was of reasonable decor, cleanliness and reasonable facilities. Breakfast was excellent with food constantly being refreshed.

As a side point, While we were there a firm alarm went off at 7am. The guests dutifully lined up in the car park while staff went to work. Unfortunately there was very little communication with the guests both during the alarm and afterwards. This could be improved in future.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank havevanwilltravel09
York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

I came to stay in this hotel on the first Saturday of December whilst visiting some friends in Southampton. I used to study at the University here so I know the area well and walked past the hotel every day on my way to university, I was prepared for noise of students returning home after a night out! I didn't need to be as I didn't hear a peep. The room was in the old part of the hotel and on the top floor looking at the road. It was quiet and ample sized. The room was clean and had all the ammenities you would expect from a hotel (I work in hotels myself). The breakfast was included in our rate, there was a buffet style breakfast with everything you could want, except there wasn't any scrambled egg (I love scrambled egg).

I have a few complaints about the hotel though...the stairs up to our room were worn and had black gaffa tape sticking the carpet down, I was a bit worried I would trip up on the stairs on my way up! The shower in our bathroom was so noisy I thought it was going to blow up! I am glad I didn't decide to have a shower too late at night or early in the morning as I am sure it would wake everyone up in the floor. Also, the room cleaner nocked on our room at early in the morning to clean it, check-out isn't until late morning so I was a bit confused as to why they were trying to clean our room when we were still in it!

A great place for a short stay, just be ware of the cleaners trying to clean early in the morning!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rachael A
Brighton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

This is an excellent hotel for the money. Our room was quiet and very clean and well equipped. We had a good breakfast the next morning - great options for a Full English all good quality and well cooked. There was also a possibility for cold cuts, cheese and hard boiled egg plus juice, coffee and toast. Oh - and fruit salad and yoghourt.
The thing that further makes this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff for whom nothing is too much trouble. We needed an earlier check-in than they offer and when I phoned ahead the receptionist could not have been more accommodating. In the event we arrived earlier than intended and when I went in to check on the situation she immediately - and magically - knew who I was and said our room was ready. She was chatty and kind and took the slight stress out of our tight timetable.
I cannot praise this hotel too highly - and I am an experienced traveller. We would not hesitate to visit it again nor to recommend it to anyone looking for a good value experience in central Southampton.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family