“Great Weekend Break”

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Great Weekend Break”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We took my Youngest to Peppa Pig World at Poultons Park and a one night stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton was included in the price. The hotel was great cannot fault it. We checked in really easily was shown to our room by super helpful staff.

We used the swimming pool which is part of the sports club which is just across the car park had a great time, the hotel laid on sweets and drinks for the kids in the evening, which was a nice gesture for the I thought.

We had a good night’s sleep. We were on the top floor and it was really quiet. My wife was really impressed with the breakfast. she's pregnant and went through it like you wouldnt believe. Cereal, full English and plenty of tea and coffee.

Thank you Holiday Inn Southampton we had a great stay in a nice clean quiet room. Would use again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
rwalker2014, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Guest, Our Peppa Pig packages are great and Paultons Park is really fabulous, I hope your 'youngest' enjoyed the day out. I will certainly pass on your comments to our breakfast team, I am delighted that you enjoyed this.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and may I take this opportunity to wish you and family very many congratulations on your soon to be 'new arrival'.
Robert Walker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Arrived early in the morning and was greeted warmly by Julie on reception, who even managed to find an available room for me, all the while she was very pleasant and took the time to chat. Later I met Maurice who also took a few minutes out of a busy day for a chat. In fact, all staff I encountered were extremely friendly and helpful.
I had rented a bike for the 2 days that I spent in the city, and the reception staff kindly stored it for me.
My room was surprisingly spacious, it was located near the lifts so it was slightly noisy, however that didnt bother me.
I ordered room service in the evening, the food arrived within reasonable time, and it was really tasty and good value for money.
Breakfast in the morning is simply fantastic, I was greeted by the very energetic Ruth, which was a great start to my day. The selection of hot and cold items is fantastic, lots of fresh fruit, different yoghurts, cereals, cooked breakfast items etc etc, it has truly exceeded my expectations.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Moggele160283
Amazing feedback, thank you very much. Julie, Maurice & Ruth will be delighted to hear of such comments, especially Maurice as he is our Maintenance Manager, he tends to be forgotten. I am delighted that we helped make your stay here in Southampton a memorable and enjoyable one and I sincerely hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.
Virginia
Reviewed March 3, 2014

These folks just know exactly how to take care of guests who are getting ready to board one of the many ships that fill Southampton Terminals. The staff are warm, very efficient, and the bar and restaurant area is just perfect, as well. Flexible about where you sit, and good food. The front desk books your taxi to your terminal for you, drivers show up right on time, and they know your name and help you get your luggage to the cab. The room is clean and comfortable (and we had a great view), and if you want to walk into the town and shop or go to a pub, it's an easy walk. We will stay here many times again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jamestown1619
Dear Guest, Thank you so very much for your thoughtful and very kind comments from your stay here at the Holiday Inn Southampton. They are very appreciated and valued, as it helps to ensure that we continually strive to give all of our guests a 'great stay'. I will make sure the team know about your feedback. I hope that you will return when next taking a cruise from Southampton.
North West England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I would have given a 0 rating however you cannot so I gave it a 1 rating based on my experience of the lack of customer service provided by this hotel.
I booked a room for a future date at the Holiday Inn Southampton and since then have completed two separate online contact forms on their website, asking to make a dinner reservation and check about dietary requirements. I had no reply to either and so contacted the Intercontinental Hotel Group (IHG) under whose umbrella Holiday Inn falls, via their online contact form. What a surprise I got no reply to that either. I emailed IHG whose response was scripted, thanking me for my feedback, no explanation as why their online contact form does not work and giving me the reservations email of the Holiday Inn Southampton. I duly sent off an email to the reservations email address that I was given for the Hotel on the Friday and heard nothing, so I emailed again on the Sunday. I wanted a written trail of correspondence so that should there be any issues when we arrived, I had something to refer back to. On so many occasions something arranged verbally over the phone, has resulted in issues, so something in writing is important.

I rang on the Monday to be told that the reservations email is only monitored Mon-Fri 9 to 5, how strange a hotel runs 24/7 and does not close up shop at weekend. I have to say I was not impressed by the attitude of the staff member (a young lady) who did not even attempt to apologise, in fact she was rather defensive as if it was my fault. I emailed the Manager of the hotel to explain my dissatisfaction and was not impressed by his attitude either when he rang me.

So I cancelled our room booking and will take our business elsewhere where it is appreciated. Whenever we travel anywhere we always endeavour to stay at an IHG hotel as I am a member of their rewards club and we travel to Southampton several times a year, but when in Southampton we will seek alternative accommodation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Veganolive1
Dear Guest. Thank you for your feedback regarding your concerns and issues with the hotel. I have in fact spoken with you and emailed in response. Your comments have been noted.
I am sorry that you have chosen to stay elsewhere on your next visit.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Stayed over here after the Liverpool game on a Saturday evening. We have stayed before at the Grand Harbour (over the road) in years gone by but the price for the Holiday Inn was far more pocket friendly this time around. We had a twin room on the 6th floor with a nice view onto the water and cruise ships. We used the swimming pool (the only ones in there) which has had better days but fine for a quick dip. Located across from West Quay shopping area we were able to walk into town and the stadium in 20 mins.
The bar was small but well stocked and not massively expensive. Breakfast was good (ask for a discount voucher at reception) and well stocked and a great way to start the day before our drive back to Liverpool. free wifi would have been nice but we weren't in the hotel long enough to use it anyway.
We visited a few bars around Oxford St (Cask) and had a nice curry in Kuti's brasserie.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest. Glad you enjoyed the game. Thank you for your comments and recommendations about dining out in Southampton, for which there are some great restaurants and bars. If you are in the area again I hope we may have the pleasure of welcoming back.
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights thur -mon the main reason was to see War Horse at The Mayflower. We then had a long weekend. The spa facilities were superb and we went swimming and used the jacuzzi a couple of times. It is close to Ikea and West Point Shopping Centre so as the weather was good we left the car and walked. The breakfast was amazing and the staff were friendly and approachable. Nothing was too much trouble. The pancake machine is a stoke of genius and a cause of much merriment when it plays up! The beds were comfy and the view was great. A really quiet room. Our tv decided not to work so they offered to relocate us, however, we were happy where we were so have been promised a discount on our room rate. The wifi charges were the only real fly in the ointment, especially as we were staying 4 days. Plus food prices meant we went out every night. But all in all a lovely break.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Guest. Thank you for your feedback and your comments are noted. We do try and be as competitively priced in our restaurant, which is reviewed. The theatre is a fantastic asset to our city
and they are some great shows. War Horse was amazing. I saw the film too. I hope that should you be visiting the area again in the future you will choose to stay here at the hotel again.
Cluster General Manager
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stay here quite often on business. The staff are friendly enough but the hotel rooms are quite dated. My biggest irritation with having to stay here is the complete rip-off charges for the wifi - most establishments and public venues offer this free nowadays.

Paying £10 for 4 hours of wifi is an absolute joke. You're a captive audience and the hotel chain and their wifi partner know this. I am exploring alternatives and working with my client's procurement team to explore options. The "deals" to buy a 4-day package are very poor value for money.

Holiday Inn - please stop exploiting your guests. I'd resent paying that in a central London hotel let alone a tired hotel room overlooking the Southampton docks.

The hotel corridors seem to be infrequently cleaned - there was a used wine glass outside the lift for the entire duration of my last 4-night stay.

Room Tip: If you want to use wifi for free or a cheap rate then consider alternative hotels.