“Nothing too much trouble”

Holiday Inn Southampton
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Preston, United Kingdom
“Nothing too much trouble”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

As ever, my stays this week and last week have been great. From check in to check out, nothing has been too much trouble for the staff and where there have been small niggles, the staff have addressed them right away. The views from the rooms, looking north or south, are great and you could sit for hours watching the shipping going up and down Southampton Water. For the ornithologists - at this time of year there is a great starling murmeration over the docks at the back of the hotel in the evenings, bring a camera!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted to read you always enjoy staying at the Holiday Inn Southampton. We take great pride in providing all our guests with a high level of service and hospitality and I appreciate your reference to this. Since the autumn of last year extremely large numbers of starlings gather over the docks at sun set every day and, before they settle down in the trees adjacent to the hotel, the ‘murmuration’ you can witness is indeed a jaw-dropping wildlife spectacle!
Joost van Spengler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cornwall
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We booked a per-cruise package which was excellent value for money. We had a lovely view from our room of the docks and cruise ships. The reception staff were very helpful. The rooms need updating but otherwise we enjoyed our stay and will book again. Thank you.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mary
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. All our rooms provide a spectacular view across the harbour and the Hotel is ideally located to stay at prior to joining a cruise. All our cruise packages can be booked directly with the hotel or via our website. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Middlesex
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Was upgraded to the suite. Well it was just perfect. The staff were all so friendly nothing was too much trouble for them . They were all very happy and welcoming. The breakfast was superb . I would highly recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: Suite on the 9th floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind comments. I am delighted that we were able to upgrade your accommodation to one of our suites and I am very pleased you appreciated this gesture. Equally, it is great to read about how friendly and helpful my staff had been. I hope we may have an opportunity to welcome you back at some future date.
Rhondda Cynon Taf, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip. Third visit to this hotel. Very popular with travellers departing on cruise ships from Southampton. The hotel is situated very close to dockside and if your lucky you will have a good view of cruise ships in dock.
The rooms are clean but well used, probably due for a refurb, but are kept clean and tidy.
The town centre is only a 5 minute walk in eather direction with all the usual city centre shops, bars and resturaunts on hand.
Staff are helpful, especially Lynn who looks after the bar area during the day, excellent customer service.
Pool and gym also onsite
Would stop here again on business or pleasure

Room Tip: High floor rooms give better views over docks
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
jvs_12, Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your positive feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton. Lyn is a great ambassador for the team here at the hotel and she will be delighted to be remembered in her taking care of you during your visit. I agree Southampton is a great location for cruise passengers and leisure visitors and the hotel being situated so close to everything is great. The local restaurants are good too.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind regards Joost van Spengler
England
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Pretty standard hotel rooms. Comfortable but not particularly special. Bathroom tiles needed grouting and the shower head could have done with a good clean and descale. There was a cupboard door going through to next door so we could hear all the bathroom noises from there and they could therefore hear ours! I was ignored at reception and the man behind me spoken to ahead of me which made me very unhappy and I wonder why it is assumed that as a woman I must be with a man and therefore not worthy of being spoken to in turn. We would return as it's local to where we want to be, but we may start looking for different hotels if they treat me that way again.

Room Tip: Take a man with you if you are a woman because they don't seem to like women!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback on my hotel, Holiday Inn Southampton which is appreciated. I apologise that on this occasion the team here at the hotel have not met your requirements in delivering an acceptable level of service to ensure your stay with us is both welcoming and comfortable. I assure you this has been investigated to ensure it does not happen again. I would be delighted if you would give the hotel and my team another opportunity to show that we can and always strive to deliver Great Hotel Guest Love, please call me personally to make your reservation.
I look forward to welcoming you back. Yours sincerely Joost van Spengler
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The staff really make this hotel. We had the 'penthouse' which is the suite on the 9th floor. Lovely views of the docks and the starlings, the binoculars were a nice touch. I am coeliac and the chef took it upon himself to see me well fed and the staff were really accomodating and made me feel so comfortable about my condition - a very rare attitude! Pool nice. Felt comfortable with our two young kids. Would stay here again. The best Holiday Inn I have stayed at

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank A B
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest
I am delighted to read your comments and the fact my Team took so well care of you during your recent stay. I am also very pleased indeed to read the Holiday Inn Southampton is the best Holiday Inn you have stayed at. We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back at some stage in the future.
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time staying in a holiday inn and we will definitely be going back again. The rooms are a lovely large size and very comfortable and the shower is just what tired achy muscles need after a long day! The reception staff were lovely, really friendly and helpful. We had a lovely stay and look forward to visiting again

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank HayleeOlly
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Haylee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed our hospitality and facilities. Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you back soon!