“Lovely coastal location”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Rhondda Cynon Taf, United Kingdom
“Lovely coastal location”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stayed here on a business trip. Third visit to this hotel. Very popular with travellers departing on cruise ships from Southampton. The hotel is situated very close to dockside and if your lucky you will have a good view of cruise ships in dock.
The rooms are clean but well used, probably due for a refurb, but are kept clean and tidy.
The town centre is only a 5 minute walk in eather direction with all the usual city centre shops, bars and resturaunts on hand.
Staff are helpful, especially Lynn who looks after the bar area during the day, excellent customer service.
Pool and gym also onsite
Would stop here again on business or pleasure

Room Tip: High floor rooms give better views over docks
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
jvs_12, Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your positive feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Southampton. Lyn is a great ambassador for the team here at the hotel and she will be delighted to be remembered in her taking care of you during your visit. I agree Southampton is a great location for cruise passengers and leisure visitors and the hotel being situated so close to everything is great. The local restaurants are good too.
Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind regards Joost van Spengler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Pretty standard hotel rooms. Comfortable but not particularly special. Bathroom tiles needed grouting and the shower head could have done with a good clean and descale. There was a cupboard door going through to next door so we could hear all the bathroom noises from there and they could therefore hear ours! I was ignored at reception and the man behind me spoken to ahead of me which made me very unhappy and I wonder why it is assumed that as a woman I must be with a man and therefore not worthy of being spoken to in turn. We would return as it's local to where we want to be, but we may start looking for different hotels if they treat me that way again.

Room Tip: Take a man with you if you are a woman because they don't seem to like women!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Guest. Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback on my hotel, Holiday Inn Southampton which is appreciated. I apologise that on this occasion the team here at the hotel have not met your requirements in delivering an acceptable level of service to ensure your stay with us is both welcoming and comfortable. I assure you this has been investigated to ensure it does not happen again. I would be delighted if you would give the hotel and my team another opportunity to show that we can and always strive to deliver Great Hotel Guest Love, please call me personally to make your reservation.
I look forward to welcoming you back. Yours sincerely Joost van Spengler
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The staff really make this hotel. We had the 'penthouse' which is the suite on the 9th floor. Lovely views of the docks and the starlings, the binoculars were a nice touch. I am coeliac and the chef took it upon himself to see me well fed and the staff were really accomodating and made me feel so comfortable about my condition - a very rare attitude! Pool nice. Felt comfortable with our two young kids. Would stay here again. The best Holiday Inn I have stayed at

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank A B
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Guest
I am delighted to read your comments and the fact my Team took so well care of you during your recent stay. I am also very pleased indeed to read the Holiday Inn Southampton is the best Holiday Inn you have stayed at. We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back at some stage in the future.
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

This was our first time staying in a holiday inn and we will definitely be going back again. The rooms are a lovely large size and very comfortable and the shower is just what tired achy muscles need after a long day! The reception staff were lovely, really friendly and helpful. We had a lovely stay and look forward to visiting again

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank HayleeOlly
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Haylee,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed our hospitality and facilities. Hopefully we will have an opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Me and my friend stayed at the Holiday Inn on Saturday 15th December for the one night.We stayed in room 202,what a lovely view we had of the cruise terminal and could see our cruise ship waiting for us.Nice clean room with bath,shower,t v.Good value for parking car for 23 nights plus hotel stay.Recieved free newspaper,bottled water and chocolate.Free taxi to cruise Terminal.Janice,what a lovely lady you are,pleasant and made us welcome even though you were busy with the Xmas Parties.Your boss should be proud of you.Breakfast was lovely and Mellie , the waitress was also pleasant and kept me going with plenty of coffee.I will be staying here again on my next cruise.Thank you all for making my stay enjoyable,Back home now from cruise,grrrr.June.

Room Tip: Room 202 was great,lovely view of the cruise terminal and ships in port.Room was clean and comfortab...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank june912
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear June
Thank you very much for your lovely comments following your recent stay. We are very proud to have Janice and Mellie on our Team and I will most certainly make sure your comments are shared with them. We indeed offer some great Park, Stay & Go Packages for Cruise Passengers which can only be booked directly with the hotel, or via our own website.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel at some future date.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel with family prior to a cruise holiday in December. It is our first experience with this hotel chain which I booked via their internet site. I booked two Executive Rooms on a pre-paid rate for bed & breakfast which was fairly reasonable.

On arrival at reception we were welcomed by pleasant staff however we found that we had been allocated rooms on completely seperate floors. This was changed when I asked the reception staff and we were given two rooms on an upper floor. I would have expected rooms on the same floor when the rooms were initially allocated as it was under one booking however it was dealt with and sorted out efficiently.

The lifts as stated in previous reviews are surprisingly small for the size of the hotel but as the hotel did not appear to be particularly busy it did not present a problem. The rooms were nice, clean, and had the standard fixtures & fittings and complimentary items of a chain hotel. Our room overlooked the Mayflower Cruise Terminal and was significantly smaller in size than the other room which overlooked the Ocean Cruise Terminal. They were both Executive and charged at the same rate and apart from the size had the same fixtures.

We decided to take an evening meal a the hotel and booked a table for four. We were shown to a table in what was then an empty restaurant by a friendly young lady who proceeded to take our order. Our main meals appeared but not together as you would expect having ordered our meals as a table but stragely at odd times over 15 minutes apart, so we found ourselves eating our food seperately before it went cold whilst waiting for the full order to arrive.The main meals were well presented and the fish was particularly good. The pork pie meal was a disappointment and not recommended. As the restaurant filled it was apparent that waiting staff had no particular station to cover were not being managed and service as a result started to become sporadic and unfocussed and to be honest a bit of a shambles. We were given a desert menu by a staff member who then disappeared never to return. After 30 minutes of watching uncoordinated staff we walked out and did not bother to order anything further. We complained at reception and asked the duty manager to be informed of our disappointment with the service. To their credit as we returned to our room we had a call from the duty manager offering his apologies and a discount on the meal. The hotel was very good and quick to deal with our complaint however having pleasant staff is good but is not enough, as you still need to provide an efficient service.

The breakfast buffet was a different matter with both pleasant and efficient staff providing a good service. The buffet breakfast had a fairly good variety of choices but what was on offer was very good and offered good value for money.

We found all staff at the hotel to be friendly,professional and eager to help however the hotel was let down by a restaurant that lacked proper supervision which resulted in poor service.

Room Tip: An upper floor overlooking the Ocean Cruise Terminal provide larger rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
jvs_12, Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay at the Hotel prior to departing on your cruise. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and found my Reception Staff and indeed our Duty Manager to be responsive to your needs and requests. Your comments regarding dinner are naturally disappointing but rest assured that I will review your feedback with my newly appointed Restaurant Manager to ensure we will address the shortfalls you mentioned constructively. I do hope you will select to stay with us again should you book again a cruise departure from Southampton when you can be assured of our very best attention at all times.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel overall is an average experience. It is clean, the reception and breakfast staff are professional and efficient but please beware of the restaurant for dinner. After staying at this hotel many times it is better to go out for dinner than to be humiliated by the rude and matter of fact staff in the evening. There is always a problem whether it is with the food, the service or paying the bill.

Room Tip: Please request a room overlooking the harbour.... you can watch the Red Funnel ferries arriving and...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kamilla T
jvs_12, General Manager at Holiday Inn Southampton, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Kamilla
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay. Obviously I am very pleased to read you enjoyed not only our consistent high level of cleanliness but also the professional and efficient service by both the Reception and Breakfast Teams. I am of course disappointed to read you comments in regards to our Restaurant Service and I very much hope you will perhaps afford me some time next time you visit as I, and indeed my Restaurant Manager who very recently joined me, would be keen to gain a little more understanding of your specific concerns. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!