“Great Hotel to stay at for the Boat Show”
Review of The Blue Keys

The Blue Keys
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Clean room, nice home cooked food, friendly staff. They are trying very hard to make this new business a success. Pleasant stay wish them all the best and would stay again. However we were overcharged for breakfast which was refunded straight away and the prices do alter for the Boat Show which is understandable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank petra063
There are newer reviews for The Blue Keys

Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had a table of 12 pre booked for a birthday and they needed our orders which we gave them well in advance. (So should be no room for mistakes)
It is a lovely restaurant, lovely astmophere and the staff were very helpful.
We arrived at our table with a side plate and butter knife thinking we would get bread on arrival. When we asked they only said that the plate was for the people who were having starters... Okay, so why put sides plates on the table with no bread?? So whilst some of us had starters and the others didn't we just had to sit and wait - why couldn't they give us a roll just to keep us going?
After a little while our mains arrived! Great!!
I had the roast turkey with 'all the trimmings' I didn't get any stuffing whilst all the other people with turkey did! Not very good attention to detail ovbiously!!
2 of the guests had the red snapper - 1 arrived and then the waitress had to take it back, a bit odd! Again after a little while whilst everyone was tucking into our mains the fish took a long time to come out!! When it did arrive the red snapper was cold and it was served with a very strong red pesto which was like out of the jar, Brusselsprouts and roast potatoes!! Who put that combination together??? The waitress and manager were helpful and said is there anything we can get you? After having a bad main, they were not in the mood!
Onto our desserts... I had an Eton mess! I was really lookin forward to this but was very let down!! It was served in a wine glass with 4 rashberries no rasphberry coolie-so much cream it was horrible! Where was the merginue??? I had only 2 small bits!! Everyone else who had it agreed! Oh, and there were random bits of white chocolate in there too! Overall it was like eating a glass of bitty squirty cream.
The people who had the red snapper shared dessert... They staff said they woul have a 'larger' slice of cheesecake.. When it came out it was exactly the same slice as everyone else!
When we got the bill they let off one of the Red snapper which was good! Overall it was a lovely restaurant but will not be going there again!!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Topshopgirl1989
Reviewed October 29, 2012

What a change to be greeted warmly by friendly staff who can't do enough to make your stay a good one and who don't seem to just be reading off a script as you sometimes get with larger hotels. Well maintained building with small car park. Nice little touches like a tidy pretty outside area where you can also smoke. Worth timing when you get there as onstreet parking is limited. Having said that we arrived in the evening and with no spaces to park the staff moved one of their cars - very helpful, and nothing's too much trouble for them. Nice clean rooms though heater is complicated. They'd do well to leave a note of how to work it. Lounge/bar and dining clean bright and cheery. Food varied and tasty and well presented, and amazing value. They have regular music nights and the night we were there they had a wonderful soul singer. Such a nice change to chill after a busy day and listen to her over a drink that's reasonably priced.
Unbelievably it's cheaper than the local Travelodge, which is old and a bit tatty and has no bar or food, no competition I reckon.
Overall a great value clean warm friendly hotel in a quiet street just back from the places to go in the City. We'll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Try contacting the hotel direct before you book through one of the general hotel websites. They do s...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank walnutree
Reviewed October 28, 2012

myself and my partner stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of october as we were celebrating her birthday. after a long drive (we had taken the scenic route from north wales via a stop off at stonehenge) we were happy to arrive at the hotel which was relatively easy to find (though slightly awkward getting into the parking at the front of the hotel - this is not the hotels fault at all but the mindless parking of some people on the road out the front of the hotel as its in a residential area).
we checked in and, after having our bags taken up by a helpful member of staff, we were happy with the size of our room. however after a while i had noticed that one of the catches on the window was broken (with the weather turning cold this was a slight soncern) but after finding i could wedge it closed i wasnt that worried and therefore didnt mention it to anyone. the radiator was slightly frustrating to use but once it was worked out we were able to keep the room warm. the only other gripes we had with the room was that the mattress was very soft (maybe a little tired) which made the bed slightly uncomfortable and also that the tv remote didnt work due to dead batteries (but another great member of staff helped by bringing up replacement batteries even though she was on her own down stairs).
we ate in the hotel each night of our stay and found the food to be of a good standard, as was the breakfast, i can highly recommend the burger buy maybe the rice paper pancakes need a re think.
the best part of this hotel is without a doubt the staff, (example of which was breakfast on our first morning where we happened to mention that we were planning on going to portsmouth and the guy who was serving breakfast and seemed to be running everything that morning told us that there had been a large accident and the motorway was locked solid and he helped to prevent us being sat in a traffic jam for several hours) there is a family or tight friend atmosphere about them all, and as i work in the hotel industry i know that the most important thing in a good hotel is good and friendly staff and this has it.
when you read up on the hotel you find out that its only been taken over this year so its clear that things like the window, mattress etc will be fixed in time.
if i was back in the area i would not hesitate to stay again and would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markbob917
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The accommodation is clean tidy and well worth the price I was charged, but please change the awful white, ex-MOD lampshade on the ceiling. Staff were all helpful, cheerful and good fun. I have stayed twice (3 nights in total) and have decided this is my favorite hotel in Southampton (interms of customer service Jury's and Mecure are well behind)
The food is excellent, great menu for the evening meal and no course has been disappointing, quite the opposite. If I was just visiting Southampton I would call in for dinner.
Any complaints, no. Although I find the breakfast pricing confusing and strange that I cannot have tea and fruit juice without paying extra.
Well done Blue Keys, long may you prosper and develop.

Room Tip: Do not have room 2 on a Wednesday night, the open mic session is a real pain.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed at Blue Keys for one night before cruise. Very quiet street. Room also quiet, clean comfortable. Hotel about 10 minute taxi ride to ship terminals ( cost 6 pounds). The married couple won own and manage the hotel were very friendly and helpful. Food, both for breakfast and dinner, in on site restaurant of very good quality. Great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here last Thursday as I had booked tickets at the Mayflower Theatre. Right from the start of my visit I received excellent service. Every single member of staff I met was incredibly helpful, friendly and had an excellent sense of humor. The room was ideal and just what I wanted. I definitely think that the owners could get away with charging slightly more as what they offer is fantastic value for money. The restaurant was lovely and I love the decor. I had dinner and breakfast which was delicious and again, great value for money. I slept the best I have in absolutely ages. Although this hotel is close to the busier area of Southampon, the road outside is very peaceful at night. The single room is a great size and the bathroom is too. All in all, I genuniely cannot think of anything negative about this hotel (not that I would want to). To all the staff working during my visit (Elliot(?) and the two bar staff): thank you for making a relaxing break away so enjoyable. Don't change a thing! I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo