“Another great stay”
Review of Ashurst Campsite

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southampton
Ashurst Campsite
Berkshire
“Another great stay”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Ashurst for four nights at the start of August. Staff were very helpful upon arrival and proved to be so throughout the trip. The toilet and shower facilities were very clean as far as campsites go and neither my boyfriend or I had to queue for showers or toilets, despite it being peak season (summer holidays). The campsite is very well located, a few minutes walk from the Co-Op, three pubs and the Ashurst New Forest train station. Overall we enjoyed a great week and recommend this site to all.

Room Tip: Note that there is a train line running alongside one edge of the campsite (trains approx every 15 m...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I having just visited with my family, this site is one of the best I have ever stayed at in the New Forest area. The staff were friendly and very helpful and apart from the weekend the site was peaceful and pleasant. I often worry about the toilet block as past experience at other sites has not been favourable, but here they are kept clean for the majority of the time and they are both modern and warm. We found plenty of cycle tracks near by and the horses and cattle entering the site kept my children entertained. A very short distance away is a pub called the New Forest Inn, I found the food a little pricey for what was actually served ( £17.95 for a small steak, £10 for macaroni cheese!!!) but their range of real ale was good and the surrounding very nice. There were shops close by selling all the things you require on a camping trip and also a couple of takeaways. Would I stay here again, most defiantly YES.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Had a family picnic in the forest and my daughter who is just 3 needed toilet and was too scared to go outside. I had no car with me so walked to nearest place i could find a toilet which was Ashurst campsite. The staff were really rude and wouldn't let my daughter use their facilities. I even offered to pay them as she was so desperate. Really unfriendly and disappointing. Will not be camping with you again!!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lauren G
Eastbourne
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Excellent campsite which is very well run and wash rooms and showers are usually spotlessly clean,may get a little busy weekends but never had to wait for more than 5 minutes to get a shower and more often than not can get one without waiting.Management very efficient friendly and polite and more than helpful if required,yes they do patrol around the site regularly but do not go out of their way to be to strict but will be if the need arises ref noise complaints etc all explained in their terms and conditions.Yes it is quite an expensive site for families with children compared to some but there are discounts for age (60 years and above) also discounted if you are a member of the Camping And Caravanning Club but you can only claim one discount which has been introduced this season, up to last year you could claim both.Ashurst is a reasonably quiet site unless you pitch near the railway tracks on the eastern side of the site, there are a couple of pubs that do meals within walking distance of the site, The New Forest Pub adjacent to the campsite which has a good childrens play area but is quite expensive or The Happy Cheese in the village which has a decent selection of good value meals and a nice outside eating area.
I have visited most of the sites in this area and in my opinion this is the best of the lot,we will definetely be returning for a long while to come

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gosport, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My friends and I enjoy an annual campsite to the forest as we live in a town around an hour's drive away. All 4 of us are 20. We all arrived seperatly and as 2 of us don't drive it was important to be very close to a train station. One other person drove and one came on motorcycle.
I would say to ignore the reviews about bad staff, it's clearly rubbish. All 4 of us were greeted warmly and professionally even though we were a young group. Wardens were open with us, taking a £20 misbehaviour deposit but it was returned within hours with an explantion that they usually do it with groups of young people. They said that it wasn't necessary for us. They dropped by occassionally whilst on litter picks and asked if we needed anything. They were always polite and respectful and were knowledgable about local walks and bike hire during our stay. The facilities were great, always spotless. I appreciate that we went during downseason and not on a weekend but there were enough showere, toilets, sinks and washing up areas for everyone. I have read complaints about gazebos on here, it's a pointless complaint, it's stated on their website and in their T&Cs that they dont allow them so why people feel they should be allowed to ignore that I do not know. I have read about the mirrors in the toilets being too low and this is true, but is a minor detail given the overall quality. I have also read about people with mototrcycles being victimised. The guy in our group with the bike agrees with me when we say that is complete junk, the only time the bike was mentioned was to ask where his helmet was when he was moving his bike on site, a reasonable request and handled well and respectfully. The only reason it didnt score perfectly on value is because I feel that camping in the forest has generally become gradually more and more expensive in recent years but with experiences and memories such as those I have gained at Ashurst the price wouldn't put me off too much. :-) Thankyou for a great holiday!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Laura H
Haywards Heath
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This campsite is pricey for the facilities available, especially if you go on a bank holiday weekend. The one shower/toilet block and washing up room were no where near enough for the number of people staying.

The people were nice to us but annoyed my brother-in-law by taking an age to open the car gate, but didn't seem offended when we opened & closed it ourselves...

Whilst it was a nice site & I would probably stay there again the New Forest has better value for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

we were looking for a campsite for the end of May bank holiday weekend and decided to go to this one. We loved it. Great for kids. Loads of the "wild" horses around. A good pub with a massive beergarden and all afternoon sun, and beautiful hiking/cycling all adjacent to the campsite. The staff are strict, but it helps with keeping the campsite a pleasure for all. The facilities (showers etc.) are clean and very good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton
Balmer Lawn
#1 of 10 in Brockenhurst
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Ashurst Campsite? Share your experiences!