“Avoid”

Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Oslo, Norway
“Avoid”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This hotel is perfect If you are a movie producer looking to reshoot the 1960 Psycho film, or if you are a kid wanting to spook your friends by telling scary stories about this s-hole of a place.

As an hotel, it just doesn't work.

My room had a single bed, a small desk and a sink. The bathroom? There was none. Well, there was one, at the other side of the hotel that I could use. The receptionist assured me it was my own private bathroom. But after inspecting this bathroom, I realised that it had no shower.

It's ok if a hotel is run down and old, but you kind of expect certain things when you pay for a room. A shower would be one of them.

Needless to say I got the hell out of there and moved to the Blue Keys hotel (excellent hotel and about the same price)

If you want to live close to the city, and you are on a budget, I would just go for the Dolphin hotel down the street. Same price, but so much nicer.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Star Hotel is clearly not a first-rank accommodation. It is situated in an old building in High Street, Southampton, a small area miraculously spared by the WWII bombing. Such historical heritage could definitely be worth enhancing by the business; instead, they left it to its destiny. The facade looks pretty ugly, and it is falling apart, while inside, the carpet throughout makes things worse, especially when it comes to pull your luggage through the numerous stairs (no lift available, for what I could see). That said, the rooms were decent, and looked clean to me. The staff was extremely helpful, and the manager allowed many of us to leave our luggage in their premises and enjoy the sunny day out even after we checked out, and that, for my necessities, made up for the everything else.

Room Tip: Rooms too far from reception don't get good wi-fi connection.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Siebel2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Me and my 2 friends paid £20 each for a double room with a extra bed. The location is very central and there is a multi story car park close by. When we arrived to our room we actually had 2 double beds. We were only expecting a double and a rubbish single bed. So this was a good surprise. The bedding and en suite was very clean. we paid £40 for the double room and a extra £20 for the extra bed. This was very good value for money. I would not pay more than this to stay here though. This hotel i would say is ideal for people just staying a night who plan on using the hotel simply to shower and sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed here end of August with a visit to my daughter who is working on Queen Victoria. Just wanted an overnight stay for me and my father. Everything else in Southampton was very expensive so took a punt on this. Nice big room but that was the only good thing. Needs a re-vamp - Is a very old hotel and it shows. Worse thing was I just received my credit card statement and the hotel have charged me twice!!!

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael L

Travelers are raving about these Southampton hotels

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Although it could do with a bit of a revamp, my room was big, clean and great furniture. The hotel has a lot of character, especially with the Titanic-style lift. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. Overall a lovely stay in a great location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Moss, Norway
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Me and my 16 year old son was going to southampton for about a week.Thought we had found a nice and clean hotel when we looked at the photos from The star hotel.When we got there and opend the door to the hotel, the first thing we noticed was the bad smell.We got the key and went to our room and we were shocked.My son kept telling me i booked the wrong hotel,it was nothing like the photos they had on and he dident want to stay,but it was to late already paid and nothing else available.We could not opend the windows when they were nailed shut and rotten.The faucet dident work and had a hard time getting wather,the carpet was filty dirty and smelled so bad we had to use shoes inside.It had so many faults this hotell.I went down to complain and what they said it was an old hotel,its not an exuse for them to use its an old hotel when its all about cleanliness and all the wrong thing in there could be fixed.This hotell is so filty dirty its a hazard to your health.The hotel should had the front door nailed shut a long time ago,like the windows inside.Am realy suprised they are allowed to keep this plase opend and i do not recomand this plase to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank heidi1232013
Saxmundham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I loved the central location of this hotel, in the historic High Street and approximately equidistant from the railway station and the harbour. Each is a short walk away from the hotel. (For those who love history as I do, it is interesting to note that Benjamin Franklin and also Queen Victoria visited the hotel in previous centuries.)
The hotel staff were pleasant and efficient which made my stay more enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2013