“Value for money”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #24 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Me and my 2 friends paid £20 each for a double room with a extra bed. The location is very central and there is a multi story car park close by. When we arrived to our room we actually had 2 double beds. We were only expecting a double and a rubbish single bed. So this was a good surprise. The bedding and en suite was very clean. we paid £40 for the double room and a extra £20 for the extra bed. This was very good value for money. I would not pay more than this to stay here though. This hotel i would say is ideal for people just staying a night who plan on using the hotel simply to shower and sleep.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed here end of August with a visit to my daughter who is working on Queen Victoria. Just wanted an overnight stay for me and my father. Everything else in Southampton was very expensive so took a punt on this. Nice big room but that was the only good thing. Needs a re-vamp - Is a very old hotel and it shows. Worse thing was I just received my credit card statement and the hotel have charged me twice!!!

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michael L
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Although it could do with a bit of a revamp, my room was big, clean and great furniture. The hotel has a lot of character, especially with the Titanic-style lift. The staff were all friendly and very helpful. Overall a lovely stay in a great location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Me and my 16 year old son was going to southampton for about a week.Thought we had found a nice and clean hotel when we looked at the photos from The star hotel.When we got there and opend the door to the hotel, the first thing we noticed was the bad smell.We got the key and went to our room and we were shocked.My son kept telling me i booked the wrong hotel,it was nothing like the photos they had on and he dident want to stay,but it was to late already paid and nothing else available.We could not opend the windows when they were nailed shut and rotten.The faucet dident work and had a hard time getting wather,the carpet was filty dirty and smelled so bad we had to use shoes inside.It had so many faults this hotell.I went down to complain and what they said it was an old hotel,its not an exuse for them to use its an old hotel when its all about cleanliness and all the wrong thing in there could be fixed.This hotell is so filty dirty its a hazard to your health.The hotel should had the front door nailed shut a long time ago,like the windows inside.Am realy suprised they are allowed to keep this plase opend and i do not recomand this plase to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank heidi1232013
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I loved the central location of this hotel, in the historic High Street and approximately equidistant from the railway station and the harbour. Each is a short walk away from the hotel. (For those who love history as I do, it is interesting to note that Benjamin Franklin and also Queen Victoria visited the hotel in previous centuries.)
The hotel staff were pleasant and efficient which made my stay more enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This old hotel is in close proximity to the town, in fact right on the high street. Its very olde worldly with dark wood as the main decor. The room had a newly fitted wet room come toilet which was very nice although the door was made of glass so as long as you don't mind watching them go to the toilet its fine. The room was clean and homely. The staff were very nice and there was always someone on the reception desk day and night. There is a small bar that is open on week days and some parking facilities. The location wasn't very noisy with the windows open and there was a very nice breakfast room and free wi fi which puts the other budget hotels to shame as this hotel was only £45 the night. If you need a inexpensive hotel and don't mind an old homely feel this is the one for you!

Room Tip: Ensure that the room you choose is one that has had a new shower room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

A real disappointment! The web site made it look nice but it really isn't. Dated is an understatement, which is a shame as it could be nice. The walls have marks/stains on them, the furnishings look so old they would fall apart if u touched anything. It smells old too, there is a musty smell to the place that is not nice. Health and safety would have a field day here, with uneven and creaky floor, jolting lifts and big open windows, u would have to keep kids away from. There are some plus sides tho, the bathroom is clean (although the toilet seat is too small for the toilet, and doesn't fit). The beds are comfortable, the staff are polite and friendly and there is free wifi. I'm glad we are only here for the one night, coz I don't think I could stand anymore than that. This hotel was only £10 less than the better well known hotels and is not worth the money paid.

• Stayed: August 2013