“Shabby chic without the chic”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Pennard, United Kingdom
“Shabby chic without the chic”
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Grubby, pokey little room with twin beds and no headboards. Basic!
Mustard coloured toilet with 70s matching tiles in the grubby shower we chose not to use.
We decided on arrival not to eat there, we will breakfast elsewhere today.
Cheap but we won't come back.
My bed was right next to drafts window with thin curtains and was cold in the night.

Recommend the Chinese resteraunt across the road though!

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Very tired, damaged bed and a noxious smell in the room we were initially given. On one positive note they did give us another room when we complained. We also had to pay an additional charge of £4.00 to park our car within the hotel's car park.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Redmic99

Travelers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Guildford, UK
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed Friday 8th March to attend a party in town.

The outside view of the hotel is pretty grim, the front paint is peeling really badly. Not pretty, but we hoped it wouldn't affect the rest of our stay.

The first member of staff didn't even say hello. Just looked at us and shouted someone else to check us in. She was obviously having trouble with whatever she was doing on the computer because she was quite verbal with it throughout our check-in. It wouldn't have taken a moment to say "hello, one moment, I will get someone to check you in!" and it's not good customer service to let your guests hear your angry thoughts against modern technology.

We were given our key (on a broken keyring!) and vaguely directed to our room with no mention of what time breakfast was, although we found out from the signs in the dining room which we had to walk through to get to our room.

£4 on top for parking... Hmmmm. Yes it is mentioned on the website etc, but I really think it adds insult to injury for this hotel.

Corridors are quite gloomy and hostel looking, paintings and prints on the wall were very 80s in those pastel blues and peaches that always look like they're faded.

As mentioned in other reviews our room (No 11) looked nothing like the photos. This has been mentioned before. The photos of our room were actually on the website, but way WAY down and buried under all the beautiful updated rooms with decorative throws and pillows and modern wallpaper.

The room seemed clean but the decor was awful, outdated and peeling from the walls.

The bathroom was TINY, especially bearing in mind all the bathroom photos posted show double showers. But at least it was clean??? I thought that until I stepped into the shower and looked up to see two used bars of the supplied "luxury" soap balanced on top of the door frame. I wonder how long they had been there.

No shower, hair or hand wash supplied, as is the norm in most hotels now, and no hairdryer either!

I would say you get what you pay for but only last week we stayed in cheaper and had MUCH better quality and service. I'm so relieved we didn't pay £85 for the room which is it's listed priced before deals.

Breakfast was a totally different experience. Extremely helpful staff, wonderful food and nothing was too much trouble.

We won't be returning to this one though.

Room Tip: It might be worth trying to ask if you can have one of the updated rooms, but I would expect this to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

For £89 for 2 nights including breakfast, we weren't expecting much!
The hotel is very dated & in need of some considerable repair, having said that it wasn't an unpleasant stay. Staff were all very pleasant & helpful, room was as expected but clean. Bathroom was pretty good although the shower pressure wasn't!
Tea & coffee provided & flat screen TV. Surprisingly there is a WIFI, which wasn't expected - so a little modern touch there.
Buffet breakfast was good, all freshly cooked & not congealed at all.
We were able to leave our cases for several hours after checkout which was appreciated & convenient.
Great location, just a few yards from Above Bar St & all the shopping etc.
Not luxurious, but not unpleasant either :-)

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is well located, the room was clean, and the staff helped us by changing a family room to four single beds (following a problem with our original room booking). A good buffet breakfast. A very good alternative to any one of the many soulless 'chain' hotels.

Stayed February 2013
Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Well after reading the reviews on here i was a little nervous to say the least,

However the hotel is in a super location, our room 20 was very large with a huge bed, although the toilet and bathroom were small, all of it was nice and clean. The general decor is old and in need of some work but beyond the flowers this is a nice hotel.

Staff were both friendly and helpful

Would stay here again for the price!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel many times. Please do not be attracted by the cheap prices, I promise they are cheap for a perfectly god damn reason. I am a 21 year old, I do not moan, I am easily please but this hotel is disgusting. I have stayed in room 14, the room was small and detoriating, my friend bent down and found food covered cuttlery under the bed, human nail clippings, boogies on the wall, mould, dirty bed sheets. I know this sounds like the usual complaints because its the truth. I was horrified. We stayed a second time and got moved from a room which the receptionist quoted "is quite nice" it was even worse than our orginal room with 3 single beds crammed in one small room, the shower drowning in mould. I would of rather stayed in the basement room where we got put which they called the "coach house". A lady at reception which I believe to be called Lin, was rude, abrupt and very facially disgusted at me and my friend for asking to move, everything was an effort and she seemed unbothered and lazy walking around reception with NO shoes on. It is just unproffesional. Shame really that they cannot even save this run down hotel through having nice staff. There is one young man who made my stay worthwhile who helped me during the night with our room, very helpful and kind and willing to accomdate. I had pictures of the evidence but unfortunately they are on my friends phone and she leaves in London. The smell of the rooms where just awful, dust thick as quilts, dirt, ripped wall paper, sticky substances on the sheets. Clumbs of hair infested in the carpets, it is really just not healthy or clean. I have never been so horrified. I am never usually one to even complain, but please spend the other £20 and stay at the dolphin hotel just a meter away!! please!!

Room Tip: Even purchasing a 'superior' room will not help. Just avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends