“House of Horrors (and no wifi)”
Review of Star Hotel

Star Hotel
Ranked #24 of 24 Hotels in Southampton
Exeter, United Kingdom
“House of Horrors (and no wifi)”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I liked the look of the hotel from the website, however the rooms look nothing like the photos online! I have no idea where those photos were taken, but it is not The Star Hotel. Anyway, upon arrival at the "hotel" my heart sank. It looked like an abandoned, derelict building from the outside (no lights on, paint peeling, barely there hotel sign). Upon entering the hotel things did not get better. The receptionists ignored me at first, despite me standing by the counter. In the end I said "excuse me" and was able to check in. Payment was demanded upfront before I had seen the room (never a good sign!). I was then directed (not shown) along a maze of creaky, winding corridors to my tiny room with dated furniture, overlooking the car park. Lovely. I unpacked and immediately tried to connect my laptop to the wifi (advertised on the hotel's website). There was no wifi. I complained to the receptionist about the lack of wifi. She was extremely rude and unhelpful and informed me that I could not get a discount or refund of my room because "the wifi is free". Well, actually it's not free, as it's included the price of the room and more importantly, THERE IS NO WIFI. False advertising at it's worst. I will never stay there again, despite it's convenient location for me work-wise. The staff didn't care one bit about how I found my stay.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here. You will regret it if you do.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lou186254

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as on a business trip. The room was ok, if not a bit weird. The toilet was inside the walk in shower. I understand that the hotel is old and has a lot of history to it. That said I had everything I needed and the bed was comfy. The extractor fan was just outside my bedroom and was on all night do I hardly slept. Which was not good! The breakfast was ok and the staff friendly enough. The whole hotel just seemed a little unloved and could do with done investment.

• Stayed November 2012
Southampton
Reviewed February 5, 2013

This Hotel was chosen for its location, this however is its only redeeming feature. The hotel is bad but the what's worse is the treatment given to the customer. Sometimes we all need a bit of help, just a little bit of human kindness, but this Hotels policy is no; just no.
The premier in is only just around the corner, it's got better rooms. you can often get a great deal and the staff can do enough for you.
Customer service star hotel, learn it !

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel, simples
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank votomax

Travelers are raving about these Southampton hotels

Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,120 helpful votes
Reviewed February 5, 2013

A hotel that is really well situated bang in the heart of southampton city centre close to everything including the cruise terminals and the main shopping centre,the former being a four minute walk. The staff were sound but the interior was from another decade.We were up on the second floor overlooking the main road of shops and pubs etc and the noise on that friday night was horrendous.The place itself was very average at best and in need of a complete overhaul.The only thing we could say about this place is that it was very well placed and thats all it has going for it sadly.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Harpenden, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Utterly bad charged up front, that should of been a warning sign.... Room 15 attic! Damp smelly cold, as one person said been better to have spent the night in your car, Never again! Screaming students arriving in drunk, no hand soaps, And this is a 2 star hotel not a 3 as said, and even then they need to be stripped of there stars!!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Debbie B
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Has to be the worst hotel I have ever had to endure. Would have been better off sleeping in my car. After a long time searching for my room with very unhelpful instructions I found that the room had not been serviced. The bedding had not been changed and smelt of sweat and the bathroom was covered with all manner of hair and soap scum. Went down to reception and met some very unhelpful staff who gave me some clean bedding and cleaning products with which they expected me to clean the room. YES NOT ONLY WAS I A PAYING GUEST, I WAS EXPECTED TO BE HOUSE KEEPING TOO! Not one of the hotel staff made a move to offer to clean the room themselves. So, after I had cleaned the room and changed the bedding I tried to get some rest. Impossible as the smell of dam and mildew was ingrained into the soft furnishings including the duvet and pillow making the entire sleeping experience a horrendous ordeal.

After a night of very little sleep I went downstairs to hear the staff at reception speaking very loudly about me in a very rude and unpleasant manner, did not help my already sour mood. Breakfast looked like something that would be served at a service station at 11pm after its been sat out all day. Crockery did not look all that clean and after my experience of the rooms the night before, I shudder to think what the kitchen looks like. Staff in the breakfast room were rude and unfriendly as well. There was a very weird and unpleasat smell wafting about the entire hotel.

Waited a long time to see the manger who was apologetic but in all honesty really did little to make up for her disgusting hotel. Had a refund for one room, but considering the matress wasn't fit for a dog in the other we really should have pushed for a total refund.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

Room Tip: Do not book any room here, the whole building smells.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family